Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stacks in the bed

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that will make kits for stacks that do not have the y pipe in the bed of the truck. I know Grand Rock is a popular company that a lot of people have. But I just don't want to take up a part of my truck bed except where the pipes exit the bed right behind the cab. Lemme know thanx
Old 02-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

On a long bed you can run them under the bed. It's pretty tricky but it can be done. Pretty much impossible with a short bed unless you like running hot exhaust piping over your fuel tank.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:45 AM

is there a company that makes a kit for long beds or do you have to custom fabricate the pipes yourself? also do you think it is necessary to get plugs for the pipes if you have the pipes open at the top instead of curled over?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Banned

The stack kit fo a long bed and short bed are the same. You are thinking of mitre cut stacks. Alot of guys put coffee cans over top or there is a thread that someone put a pony keg on top. Most of us though leave them uncovered, they at start up we get a good soot shower. Your best bet is to buy a kit or make your own then run the pipes under the frame rail to the coroner of the bed. if you do a body lift you can run them between but it usually is more of a hassle and less clean to run them like this. You could keep it in the bed them make a cover for themto keep things away from the exaust heat.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

I don't put anything over the top of my stacks when it rains. I just let the water blow out when I fire it up.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Talking

i installed my stacks diferent than most ive seen,i didnt want that huge hole where the y pipe comes thru,i got all my parts form a truck wrecker and the elbows from a truck shop,i cut a 3-1\8 hole in the bed directly over the factory exhaust and then welded a piece of 3 inch pipe to the 5 inch chrome cross piece and put it in the small hole,i then conected the piece comeing down thru the hole to my factry exhausst with a piece of flex pipe,the intsall was easy and i only have a small 3-1\8 hole in my bed which could easily be covered up if i wanted to.ill post some pics when i get home.it looks super clean and doesnt take up much room and theres not a huge hole.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:08 PM

what did you say to cover them with? and its just easier to put the pipes in the bed?? Personally I think it looks bad if they are just put in the bed like that, I would like to have a crisp clean out of the corners of the bed look. The only thing is what exactly would I need to do to a long bed to put them in?
Old 02-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

the kit realy doesn't rely on long bed short bed. it all the same. Cut the stock exaust just behind the cab then use flex pie to connect the kit to the exaust. The only way I can see a realy clean look it to run a single stack straight through the bed all the way up. look ok if you dont mind the one stack look.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:54 PM

You are saying that take the grand rock pipes setup and just mount the y pipe and such under the bed? or something else. sorry if Im being slow. Also I would think double chrome stacks comming from under the bed with a miter cut on top would look the best. what about this as a setup?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:20 PM

I was also looking at doing this, since I did not want my X-Over pipe in the bed, and I just wanted the two stacks coming up through. I was looking underneath and there is only a 2.5" gap between the fuel tank and the underside of the bed, It would work if you put a body lift in, but I dont really want to do that. I am thinking just a single stack for now.

-Jared
Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Muted User

Mine is only a single, but I made a specific fabrication of it to minimize whats in the bed.

As for the water in them, thats easy, just drill an 1/8" hole in the bottom of the pipe at a low point.

KP