Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

stacks are ON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking stacks are ON!!!

man, I took a beating this weekend... I worked about 7hrs Saturday building my bed extender and modifying the Y pipe for my stacks... worked about 9hrs today putting the finishing touches on the bed extender and getting the stacks on. seemed like the stacks were fighting me at every step... LONG story, but they're DONE!

the bed extender is hard to explain, but I'll try to get you guys some pics of everything soon. imagine a bigger more useful version of those little things you see on Explorer sport tracs and Nissans and Toyotas... I needed to be able to carry 4x8 sheets in the bed for work.

I set the Y pipe one rib over from center, and the smoke is perfectly even.

the sound is unreal... sounds much deeper/meaner than my old stack setup... I had 4" pipe into 5" turnouts w/ the stock turbo... now I've got 5" pipe into 5" miter cuts w/ an HX40-16w. sounds like a friggin' 18 wheeler!

it ain't too bad in the cab w/ the windows up, but I think I'm gonna lead sheet the inside of the roof (the ONLY portion of the interior sheet metal I haven't lined w/ lead! LOL!)

I'm beat, gotta be up in 6hrs for work. thank goodness I'll have some good music to listen to in the truck tomorrow!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned

I can't wait to get stacks on mine. Even if I can't fill them with smoke. They just look to cool not to put them on.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forrest be sure to post how it affects mileage and towing power.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Banned

well, I didn't notice a difference going from stacks to straight pipe... doubt I'll see any again... and I'm sure power will be the same... obviously, if you're going from a restrictive stock setup, EGT's will drop and MPG will go up (once you get over laying into the throttle all the time! LOL!)

FWIW, I wouldn't recomend unmuffled stacks if you tow a lot... I run empty 99.5% of the time. I will be setting up a resonator that I can swap in/out for long road trips. the stacks are a little rowdier than the straight pipe. I still have my old turn-out stacks. I may play with installing them facing backwards and see what it does to the interior noise. but for daily driving and short trips, the miters are staying, they look/sound killer!!

Forrest (yes, I'm still awake... I'm waiting on dinner to get done. I haven't eaten in over 14hrs!! )
Old 10-25-2004, 01:26 AM
Banned

Forrest, do you have a short bed or long bed? I've got a shortbed and I really don't want to put the crossover pipe in the bed unless I have to. Do you think it's possible to do that?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:43 AM
Banned

I've got a long bed... I've got some ideas on how to run the crossover under the bed, but it won't flow as well as above the bed. probably not a big deal...

now, if you were to add a body lift?

Forrest
Old 10-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Banned

I don't think I could get in it if I added any more lift to it.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:26 AM

Sweet deal man! I'm puttin my Miter Cut stacks on as soon as i get them, but im useing a crossbox design in the bed of my truck. I really can not wait to get those bad boys on there. Lets see some pics!!
Old 10-25-2004, 06:07 PM

I just realized I never posted any pics of mine, I hope I'm not stealing your thread, Forrest, but in the spirit of the stacks.... here we go!!!

I went from 3" straight to 5" straight to 5" stacks. Throttle response dropped a little bit because my downpipe is 5". I am going to go to 4" downpipe because I just don't have the fuel to make it worth while. When I add 370s next spring, then I'll have to play around
Old 10-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

looks good Matt!! mine are moved in about 3" and are a few inches taller than yours. lovin' it!! 'bout to hop in it and go for another drive! LOL!

Forrest
Old 10-25-2004, 06:11 PM

Here is the beginning of the smoke, I had to get ma to take the picture, she didn't like running the digital camera

I'm glad I'm not the only one who let the stacks kick my ****! It took me all weekend to make the Y and get everything mounted
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 PM

For some reason in the pic above the smoke looks heavier on the driver side, it must be the lighting. The numerous times I blow smoke it is even
Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 PM

Awesome Matt! I'm anxious to hear them!

This week is no good, but when are we going to stop by and see Bob?

Forrest, let's get going with those pics! I have to live my stack dreams through you guys!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:39 PM

So when did you take the pics Matt? I didn't see any damage from the other night
Old 10-25-2004, 08:46 PM

This was about 2 1/2 weeks before the accident, this was one that the insurance guy didn't want to see

Quick Reply: stacks are ON!!!