Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

stacking a drag comp and an ez box??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacking a drag comp and an ez box??

tryin it out. aint sold the ez yet so...

tapped the wire for the comp and honestly didnt get as much as i thought i was gonna. didnt seem like that big an upgrade compared to the ez. even with the wire tapped the smoke and the power just doesnt seem like 120 hp...
Old 03-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't even know how you would stack the two boxes together... I have a feeling you don't have the wire tap done right or there is something wrong with your drag comp.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:00 PM

The Comp without the wire tapped is an EZ. I can't think of any reason you'd want to do that.

I don't think you tapped the right wire or the right wire correctly either. You'll know when it is right.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Probably an incorrect wire tap.... you'll notice a big difference with a wire tap box. First, make sure you have the right wire as it can be confusing to find the correct one and second, it pays to just take the time and solder the connection...

and not sure why you'd stack those two boxes together... I'm not sure they'll play well together...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't stack two boxes that both require use of the one and only data port connection. The data port is not like the map sensor connection for which the Juice or Comp or Ez supplies both a male and a female connection so stacking would be a snap at the map sensor part, but you will need to find a way to make two data port connections if you're gonna stack. I already tried to stack my edge comp and edge Juice and it didn't do anything.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
You can't stack two boxes that both require use of the one and only data port connection. The data port is not like the map sensor connection for which the Juice or Comp or Ez supplies both a male and a female connection so stacking would be a snap at the map sensor part, but you will need to find a way to make two data port connections if you're gonna stack. I already tried to stack my edge comp and edge Juice and it didn't do anything.

You could stack them. It's just like stacking an edge ez and a TST. Just put them in line. The 2 are the same programming so I can't think of a reason why you would do it though. The only difference being the Comp tapping the fuel pump wire.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually, it's not like stacking an EZ and a TST. The TST only hooks to the MAP sensor and taps the wire at the IP. The Edge Comp and the EZ both hook up to the MAP sensor and the data link connector. It's easy enough to stack the plugs on the MAP, but either the EZ or the Comp wouldn't have it's connection at the data link connector. Without the data link connector hooked up, I don't think the box would do much.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

Even if you could manage to get both of the boxes hooked up I think it would be way too much timing.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 AM

get your wire tap right and you will not need to stack boxes. instead you can sell one for tranny/clutch upgrades. I tried to stack my van aaken and drag comp......no go. I stack the drag comp w/ a superchips......go go!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Actually, it's not like stacking an EZ and a TST. The TST only hooks to the MAP sensor and taps the wire at the IP. The Edge Comp and the EZ both hook up to the MAP sensor and the data link connector. It's easy enough to stack the plugs on the MAP, but either the EZ or the Comp wouldn't have it's connection at the data link connector. Without the data link connector hooked up, I don't think the box would do much.

I was thinking you could just plug one into the trucks connections and and the suppliment box into the loop connections of the other box. I guess I forgot how they install. Maybe only the mapp is that way. Been a while since I installed mine.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BCSCUMMINS
Even if you could manage to get both of the boxes hooked up I think it would be way too much timing.
From what I understand you can only add so much timing to a VP44. I've tried timing with the Smarty and the Edge together. No noticably difference. I just don't think it'll advance but so much.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Muted User

stackin em didnt do anything...maybe cost me power. wont work

back to the drag comp deal....
sposing i tapped the wrong wire? what happens then

if im driving along with the light throttle(say60mph) and turn on the drag comp box i can definitely feel it turn on. on 5x5 its noticeable. but maybe im expecting it to be like a 150 horse nitrous shot and its not....

ive been askin and askin and nobody can tell me a fer sure way to tell if its working with the wire tapped except unhook it. maybe ill hafta do that. edge or the seller really couldnt even come up with a definite way of knowing cept for a dyno run off/on....???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

somebody send me 250 and ill mail ya the ez box! total!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

well if level 3,4, & 5 all feel the same then it isn't tapped correctly....If it is tapped your EGT's should be reading pretty high on 5x5...
Old 03-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dieselbeef
stackin em didnt do anything...maybe cost me power. wont work

back to the drag comp deal....
sposing i tapped the wrong wire? what happens then

if im driving along with the light throttle(say60mph) and turn on the drag comp box i can definitely feel it turn on. on 5x5 its noticeable. but maybe im expecting it to be like a 150 horse nitrous shot and its not....

ive been askin and askin and nobody can tell me a fer sure way to tell if its working with the wire tapped except unhook it. maybe ill hafta do that. edge or the seller really couldnt even come up with a definite way of knowing cept for a dyno run off/on....???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

somebody send me 250 and ill mail ya the ez box! total!
Take a picture of your wire tap and I could tell ya real quick...
Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At light throttle, you will not feel an additional 150 hp. The EZ and the Comp will feel about the same at light throttle, no matter what the Comp is set to. Try this... Do a wide open throttle pass from say 60 to 80 in high gear (but not breaking the speed limit of course ), with the comp on 1x5, and note the max EGT and watch the rate of climb. Then do the same thing with the comp on 5x5. The rate of climb and the max EGT should be much different. If there is very little difference or not at all, either the box is bad, or the wire is not tapped correctly.

Hope this helps...
Paul

Quick Reply: stacking a drag comp and an ez box??