Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

stacking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacking?

I see alot of your sigs say that you have the ez and are stacking it with something can someone explain this.

so much to learn !!!
Old 01-29-2004, 02:15 PM

Stacking is when you have two boxes or box and tuner running at the same time. I have the Superchips and Edge EZ running on mine.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:31 PM

Most people have a box that just adds fuel (TST for example) and add something like an Edge EZ for the timing.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:57 PM

so an edge ez doesn't add fuel just timing? does the comp add fuel? and so i understand correctly you program the super chips for fuel and then plug in the ez?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

You got it.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Floorman
so an edge ez doesn't add fuel just timing? does the comp add fuel? and so i understand correctly you program the super chips for fuel and then plug in the ez?
The Edge EZ and Comp add both timing and fuel and from what I've been told the SuperChip programmer adds fueling but no timing.

Casey
Old 01-29-2004, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Clarification:

The Edge EZ (and other non-wiretap CanBus boxes) DO add fuel in addition to timing, but the don't really add fuel. They just shift the fueling curve so that you can get more at lower rpm. The peak fueling overall is STILL no higher than what is programmed into the ECM. So if the ECM says peak fuel at 2700rpm, the the box makes that fueling level available at more than just the peak rpm. So it really doesn't "add" fuel, it just makes more fuel available within the limits of whatever you alrady have.

Now a wire-tap box (comp, TST, etc..) overrides the ECM-programmed fueling limits. This will increase fueling BEYOND what it in the ECM.

Some boxes like the TSTs do NOT plug into the Can Bus, so IF they want to effect timing, they have to fool the ECM into changing the timing or control timing based on the manipulating the bypass solenoid in the VP44.

TST doesn't CONTROL timing like the Edge boxes do. Instead, it will simply fool the ECM into giving more timing (under some circumstances) than it otherwise would. This can be a real advantage in that it allows a certain level of timing retard, which can reduce peak cylinder pressure and increase towing torque (while increasing EGT, unfortunately).

There's a lot of difference between the boxes and how the achieve their different power increases. Just like on the Common Rail trucks, where some boxes increase rail pressure, some increase pulse width, and some advance timing. Some do a combination of some or all of the three .

Justin
Old 01-29-2004, 05:04 PM

Justin,

Much better than what I had written.

Thanks,

Casey
Old 01-29-2004, 06:59 PM

man hohn thats a mouthful and very informitive thank you
Old 01-30-2004, 01:20 AM

So i am running a drag comp with supermental and twins. what box could i stack on top of my drag that wouldnt add anymore timing, just fuel. How much HP can i gain realisticly. most important: WHAT WILL IT DO TO MY VP44? is it safe to always run, or just on occasion?

Thanks - Darin
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 AM

Justin,

You said what I was gonna say,, LOL

Darin,
The VP44 can only be pushed so far. I know of a trick that may come to market, that has been working well with several trucks,, it's a new VP44, and add's 80HP, no matter what size injectors, or box .

For now,, on your '01, you should add a BD-RAD.

Your truck is heavily de-fueling on the line at the dragstrip (or anytime you are in 1st gear and "Building boost"), and de-fueling on the 1-2 shift. You probably can hear the de-fueling in the exhaust pipe.. Just run it up to 10PSI boost, and let go of thet brake, and go WOT next to a wall,, when the 1-2 shift happens,, you wil get a "burp" in the exhaust,,, the RAD will cure this.

The RAD will also "cure" the top-speed limiter.

It's a complex install, requiring many PCM/ECM wires to be cut,, but it's a great unit.

check 'em out... Race Anti De-Fueler

Merrick

EDIT: The SuperChip tuner runs much hotter than an EZ,, cannot increase boost (no boost fooler) and gives half the HP.

The only thing I see about it, is the fact you can program tire sizes, and reset codes. Tht being said,, in my quest for HP,, I have one on my 24V,, but can't give an accurate description of it yet, as the motor is sitting about 2' in front of the truck right now,, LOL
Old 01-30-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by MCummings
Justin,

EDIT: The SuperChip tuner runs much hotter than an EZ,, cannot increase boost (no boost fooler) and gives half the HP.

The only thing I see about it, is the fact you can program tire sizes, and reset codes. Tht being said,, in my quest for HP,, I have one on my 24V,, but can't give an accurate description of it yet, as the motor is sitting about 2' in front of the truck right now,, LOL
If you stack a box that has a boost fooler it will take care of that. I have a Superchips tuner and Edge EZ stacked. On my trip back from Florida I don’t think the temps went above 950 degf. That was pulling a 8080 lb 5th wheel 75 & 80 mph up I85. The 950 degf was on the inclines. As far as HP I think it adds about 30 hp rear wheel when stacked with an Edge product (don't rember which one). I read this in a post where the guy tested it on a dyno.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:04 AM

i thought that the rad was only for autos?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:48 AM

LOL,, Well, you got me Darin,, maybe I shouldn't reply to posts at 2am...

I think it might work on 6-speeds to get rid of your top-speed limitir, but you can also do the mod yourself.

billg,

950* ? Pre-Turbo? You are correct, stacking the SuperChip with the EZ will cure the boost problem, as the EZ has a boost fooler in it.

Did you notice a difference when you put the SuperChip stacked with the EZ?

Merrick
Old 01-30-2004, 11:29 AM

Noticed a little difference in hp going to Florida (just Superchips). The temps going up the grades would hit 1200 degf (pre turbo). While in Florida I picked up a Suncoast trany, 4" exhaust, and Edge EZ. That made a big difference. Lower exhaust temps a lot more go pedal. Have not had a chance to remove the Superchips program and drive with just the Edge yet. I think I’ll save that for one of our Dyno days so I can see some real numbers.

Quick Reply: stacking?