Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

stacked banjo return line fitting?? and a few other ¿'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stacked banjo return line fitting?? and a few other ¿'s

i need the banjo fittings that go on top of the fuel filter,one looks like it should be a regular banjo, and the other line "unfiltered from the lift pump" looks like it has a stacked banjo fitting??? that the return line directly from the injectors has a banjo that screws into the bigger banjo?? i also need the one that goes to the IP and the one that comes from the IP, or is that where the o/f valve screws directly into? what does the line coming from the o/f valve look like? how does it connect? i also need to know if theres a oil pressure line that connects from the IP to the engine oil pressure?? where is the return oil line from the IP? or does it just drain into the front cover like the vacuum pump does? i'm getting lost in this cummins world of banjo's and water seperators and goofey-looking HUGE I.P. and goofey Edit gear driven vacuum pump with a power steering pump attached BEHIND it.??? goofey!! im used to fords with belt driven vacuum pump and belt driven p.s. pump when the PS pump on the ford locks up, you just cut the belt or just let it smoke it off and roll on down the road.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:15 PM

oh, and what does hvac mean? vacuum air conditioner or something?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:18 PM

how much fuel pressure is needed for the truck to run smooth???and what is the easiest way to prime the fuel system for the first time, since the pump has been off the motor for the last 4 years??i heard dodges are a real pain in the rear to get primed. i don't want to have to buy a new starter anytime soon, the one i got works good, but its been sitting in the weather for 4 years and i should be nice to it
Old 02-13-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
HVAC = heating, ventilation and air conditioning.

Any place that sells hydraulic fittings will have banjo bolts. They are made in a single or double banjo configuration. Ours are metric, don't have the size or thread pitch with me but if you have trouble let me know and I'll look in the shop.

You need about 25 psi at the injection pump for it to run right, 18-35 will do though. Both higher and lower will cause problems. The only way I bleed the fuel systems on these even after a filter change is to wrap a rag around an air nozzle and pressurize the tank with the bleed screw on top of the filter housing open. Heck with pumping the primer button, the air fills and bleeds the filter in about 15 seconds. Don't get carried away with too much pressure, you don't want to blow up the tank, 5 psi is plenty. After the filter is bled crack open at least three lines at the injectors and crank the engine till bubble free fuel shows up, may take awhile. Tighten the injector lines back up and it should start and run poorly for a few seconds till the air is gone.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:11 PM

ok thanks infidel, i just hooked the primary pump up straight to a gas can full of diesel and pressurized the gas can. it filled the injection pump and came out of the top of the pump where the o.f.valve goes, then i put a plug in place of the o/f valve. and i also pumped the pumper till it got pretty tight and cranked on it for about 15 seconds, let the starter rest with the battery charger on low, and then cranked for 15 more seconds. fuel started coming out of 2 injector lines and so i tightened them. crank 5 more seconds and fuel out all injector lines. tighten them all down. then crank for another 30 seconds and nothing, just white smoke. got the ether........ bad idea! i sprayed less than 1/2 second worth of ether and it made a terrible clank. so i figured timing was off, ulled the cover off and studied it for a while, then i pulled the gear and front cover off, #1 injector line, and turned pump with breakover till fuel came out the #1 hole, figured out that timing was WAY off. got it set till fuel just BARELY came out and then got the motor to TDC. and slapped the gear back on. it fired right up. sounds good. i know the timing is slow, but don't know how slow. i will have to drive it and adjust it to my liking. didn't have radiator hooked up so couldn't run it very long. i will go to the hydraulic hose lace and get some banjo's. and does the 1994 dodge have a stacked banjo on top of the fuel filter?? i have a spin on type filter. thanks for all the help.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They don't have a stacked banjo in the typical sense with two equal sized banjos but rather a small port tapped on top.
The outlet side has a metric bolt thread tapped into it for the bleed screw, the inlet is tapped for a small banjo and is where the return fuel line from the injectors ties in.

Congrats on getting it running, was the timing off 180°?