Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stackable with Edge ez

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stackable with Edge ez

A couple of buddys and I were wondering what was stackable with an edge EZ on an 02, We've heard from the Guys at NADP that they put it with a superChips programer but it was too crazy an even a upgraded fuel system could not keep up...? anyone out there done this with any success..?
and if so what were U gettin in the terms of HP...
thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im sure someone will have something else to say on this, but from what I believe both are timing modules and the superchips would not be a good match for your EZ, maybe a TST PM3 or Smarty might do the trick???????
Old 08-11-2006, 09:49 PM

I am running the Edge-EZ and just got my Smarty earlier this week. Today I installed it for the morning commute (well not much to install - hooked it up to flash the ECM). My Edge-EZ is set at level 3 for timing (the Edge-EZ is a timing box) and I flashed the ECM with #8 caTCHER on the Smarty which adds no timing and was very impressed. Thanks EVIL!!! I am doing more tests tomorrow but am very impressed so far. With the Smarty and the Edge-EZ stack you use the settings that add no timing. Hopefully this weekend I will test it non-stacked to see what the difference is. I couldn't be more pleased so far.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 PM

With the edge EZ you need to stack it with a fueling box like a TST powermax 3, or upgrade to and Edge comp box which is both timing and fuel. There is a bluchip FMS box which is fuel only box. If you plan on keeping your EZ, then you have to stack it with a fuel only box.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 PM

I am really confused by your post. I am running the Edge-EZ as of today at level 3 and set the SMARTY to #8 and it ran really well. Am I missing something here?? I understand that if you want more fuel and timing the Edge-Comp, TST, etc are needed but requires you to TAP the fuel pump. This is something that I didn't want to do as most all problems with fuel pumps are coming because of this unless you have the ideal setup. I have never had a problem using the Edge-EZ since the day I bought my truck off the showroom floor in 2001. The Smarty just added the kick going through the gears on my 6-speed but did nothing to change my top-end. Let me know if I am missing something here as if you have knowledge of running the Edge-EZ and Smarty stack causing problems then I don't want to do it. I am just concerned and don't want to hurt anything.

Please let us know!!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by vj_M
A couple of buddys and I were wondering what was stackable with an edge EZ on an 02, We've heard from the Guys at NADP that they put it with a superChips programer but it was too crazy an even a upgraded fuel system could not keep up...?
Oh geez don't don't double stack timing boxes

Tst and Blue chip both produce some good fueling boxes, and yes these can challenge your fuel system. These start at 85 hp+. You have a guage so you'll know if there's an issue to be addressed, but if you're going to burn more fuel ya might as well try to get some more in there Might as well get a j-hook for that turbo (tst has them) so you can get more air while you're at it.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Viperdew
The Smarty just added the kick going through the gears on my 6-speed but did nothing to change my top-end.
Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner EZ and smarty produce simular power. Try taking the ez off and try an odd SW on the smarty and see how you like it. The only reason to leave the ez on is if the adjustability. Some folks sell their ez to recoup some of the cost of the smarty

I understand that if you want more fuel and timing the Edge-Comp, TST, etc are needed but requires you to TAP the fuel pump.
There are other ways. I almost hit 500 without tapping the pump wire- I hadn't even bought an intake at that point
Old 08-12-2006, 01:41 AM

Couldn't wait! Had to go for a drive!!!

2001.5, Edge-EZ, Smarty, 4" Exhaust ONLY! - Everything else performance wise is stock, i.e air filter, etc.

Here is my eval of stacking the Edge-EZ and Smarty:

Edge EZ set at level 3, Smarty set at #8 and ABS set at 34.75. My tires are Toyo 315's which are 34.9" (35's) with the ABS setting at 34.75 checking against my Garmin GPS was dead on. Now for performance. With the Edge-EZ alone I would have to shift up to 3rd gear and around 1900-2000 rpm's before she wanted to kick and it lagged before she launched. Stacking the boxes now in 2nd gear you have to watch the throttle because I hit 2700 rpm's quick. I mean really quick!! It seems like the sweet spot is about 1600-1700 rpm's in what ever gear your in when you press that pedal -- hang on. Even at the lower rmp's it was much better. I would say lower rpm's were about a 30-40% over just the Edge-EZ. EGT's also was about a 100 degrees less as the turbo spins up much faster to cool thing down I guess at higher rpm's. You really have to control your foot in lower gears as you can hit 3000 rpm's really fast. I think I have to re-learn how to drive!

Granted I have a 6 speed --> I can see if someone had an Auto it would probably be even better with controlled shift points.

As far as the Smarty without the Edge-EZ. It performed well but didn't have the kick as both stacked. I would sum things up as:

Edge-EZ = Good
Smarty = Better
Edge-EZ + Smarty = Awesome

After the test I went back out to check any codes and now I have P0602 and P1693. Uhh ohh --> what are these?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:47 AM

Edge-EZ = Good
Smarty = Better
Edge-EZ + Smarty = Awesome
Right on.
After the test I went back out to check any codes and now I have P0602 and P1693. Uhh ohh --> what are these?
These are normal with the smarty- smarty will even tell you that
Old 08-12-2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
These are normal with the smarty- smarty will even tell you that
Thanks neighbor! Your only about 10-15 miles south of me down I-95. I was worried there for awhile..... I guess now I can eat the 100 GRAND Bar that came with it... LOL!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:08 PM

UPDATE: - P0602 and P1693 Codes using Edge-EZ w/Smarty

I removed the SMARTY and drove for 2 days with just the Edge-EZ and NO CODES. Removed the Edge-EZ and ran the Smarty on various settings NO CODES. It only happens when running them both together. I spoke with Madelectronics and these codes will not hurt anything when running the Edge-EZ with the Smarty. All I can say is - when running both Edge-EZ (Level 3) and Smarty #8 I can clear the intersection at a stoplight if I stomp it! JUST SPRAYIN' FOR BUGS....

Just a NOTE: Everything is stock except the Edge, Smarty and 4" exhaust.

I prefer the response using both boxes but the Smarty alone is better than the Edge-EZ alone. The Edge-EZ has little to no smoke unless you really push it hard and under ideal situations like low rpm's. The Smarty has better response and will smoke off the line.

The timing seem much more advanced using both. When the throttle is pressed you get the response of a V8 with no lag like stock or the Edge-EZ alone. Just watch those RPM's as it's quick on #8 on the Smarty. Gas Mileage was also better especially rolling on 315's (35 inch shoes). This week I averaged about a 1.7 mpg increase highway at an average of 70 mph (only 1650 rpms because of the 315's tires) and 650-700 EGT's.