Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stack questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stack questions

I currently have an MBRP 4" straight pipe exhuast on my truck, but have the urge to go to stack(s). I have a small budget, navy pay doesn't take in to account a BOMBers obsession, and am looking for the best advice for the most economical and the best sounding setup I can build. First off everyone has thier own opinion but what sounds better single or dual stacks? Next, I am an avid DIY and have been thinking of ways to build my own Y-pipe, that is if it is cheaper than buying a pre-fab Y. I have looked at Black Cloud Diesel's kit and it looks great but I am trying to come in a lot under that price if possible. I also would like to know if I were to build my own Y-pipe if I should build it out of 4" and then go to 5" stacks or go from my current 4" exhaust to a 5" Y right into the stacks. Which would be easier, sound better, and be the most econmical. Are there any places that sell pre-fab Y's for a decent price I have been looking at stacks through the chromeroom and found his prices to be fairly reasonable but what about Y's?

While I have everyones attention I have one other question off this subject. I have been reading up on leveling kits and investigating the prospect of one but I can't decide. I found a 2" for 85.00 shipped. Problem is I went and took measurements of my truck and found that the back wheel well sits higher than 2.75" and I really wanted to take out the rake of the truck. Would a 3" leveling kit be better. The three inch has its drawbacks also I'd have to buy a new track bar and they recommend getting longer control arms also so I would be spending more money. The 3" is clearly more expensive but I don't want to go with the 2" and then find that it did nothing for me I want to do it right the first time, what advice can you guys give me?

I know this is a lot of reading for a pretty simple pair of questions but I wanted the best advice I could get and this site has always been the best I can find so please give me all you can and Thanks alot guys.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

what does black clouds kit run?

i got my complete kit for $375, flex, y-pipe, chrome stacks and all...ready to bolt up
Old 10-27-2005, 11:45 AM

what i did only cost me about 180 but i also did dont want crome. i just 4 inch into a box then out the square tubing to the stacks. pics in the gallery
Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Check this out! $375.00 shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8008846793
Old 10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee

thats where i got mine...very nice kit
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
thats where i got mine...very nice kit
Why is there a 2-3'in gap between the bed and the stacks? I thought the Grand Rock kit mounted all the way up again the bulk head?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

mount it where ever you like...i put mine back so i didnt have to cut through the front bed crossmember
Old 10-27-2005, 01:00 PM

Another issue to address. What is everyone doing about the issue of heat. How much unuseable space is there with the Y-pipe in the bed?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
That is a dang nice looking stack kit. Hmm. My truck does throw out quite a bit of smoke now. Maybe it's time I start looking into redirecting that cloud up towards the smoke gods.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by billygoat02
Another issue to address. What is everyone doing about the issue of heat. How much unuseable space is there with the Y-pipe in the bed?

i am not sure how tough PVC pipe is...but yesterday i picked up a bunch of 10' lengths of PVC drain pipe...had to lay them ON TOP of the y-pipe for a 30 minutes drive. i had the box on 5x5 and belched some smoke so and when i got back and unloaded the pipe there were no marks where it would have melted...and the y-pipe was too hot to touch with your hand.

id really only worry about such things as plastic bags or other easily meltable (is that a word) items or wrap the y-pipe with race car header wrap to protect from the heat
Old 10-27-2005, 02:44 PM

just trying to get some more people to add some advice.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:56 PM

My question for the ebay stacks is does the smoke come out evenly or out the right stack first?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:18 PM

I put mine together for 110. I bought everything at a Semi truck junkyard and bought all the bends and such at a local exhaust supplier. I fabbed up the Y pipe out of two U-bends and cut my mitre cut stacks out of one big stait cut pipe off of the big rigs. The setup with turn outs that I have now was a lot more expensive to build but the 4" to 5"stacks was not bad if you have access to the right parts.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:26 AM

just trying to get some more people to add some advice.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitch@jc'sCTD
My question for the ebay stacks is does the smoke come out evenly or out the right stack first?
ive tried to watch the mirrors as best i can, and ive never let anyone else drive it with the box on....but yes the smoke will come out the right stack first but it reaches the left one within a split second. its really only a foot longer on the left side and the air/smoke/exhaust is coming out of our trucks at such a high speed that you really cant see it, once its coming out both stacks...the smoke is even (meaning equal amounts)

Quick Reply: Stack questions