Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Spun a bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spun a bearing

MY buddy has a 2000 dodge with 180hp injectors total ats tranny tst 3 stacked with ez and a prd hx 40. It is making one whale of a noise (loud knockin) it has lost no performance. So i don't think its a bad injector. Only has 72000 on it how much will this repair cost if it is a spun bearing and caught it in time to save the crank. Or does anybody have any other ideas?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to talk to Haulin-In-Dixie. He had had lots of recent experience. Before you look at it, I really think the best thing to tell you, is, SHUT IT OFF!

Ed
Old 01-24-2004, 10:50 AM

I am curious....do you know what kind of oil filters he is using???
Old 01-24-2004, 11:20 AM

I think it has a puralotor on it i only run fleetgaurd he runs what ever he can find.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:26 AM
DJ

If he spun a bearing and it is bad enough to hear, the crank is shot too. The bearings in these are huge, chances are its not a bearing. More l ikely to have melted a piston.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:58 PM

What DJ says.
Funny how we dont hear horror stories about Fleetguard equipped trucks.

--Justin
Old 01-24-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by PourinDiesel
What DJ says.

--Justin
Yeah, Ive never personally heard a similar story about a Fleetguard filter.

The Purolater is an approved filter, but Id be interested in hearing what other filters he's ran in the past.....Wix, Fram, Etc. My bet is that the problem is a clogged piston cooling port...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

min coast is 5000.00 you do all the r and r work. check my history here. Been there done that ect ect
not bragin just know.
Want to buy some steel piston coolers??
Old 01-24-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by thumper 549
Want to buy some steel piston coolers??
Yeah....I know. The plastic jets just dont cut it...I still cant believe that Cummins would use them...
Old 01-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Muted User

Why sooooo much?
-Jim-
Old 01-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Banned

machine work line bore
1-cyl bore and square to crank( if OS you want to do this cause factory bore job is off center)
2-suface block and head (if neccary)
3 head-vavle job or replace head (depends on the amount of cracks in it...and there probly will be some) recon head 1800.00
4 rebuild rods...not a option
5-turn crank
6-ballance everthing.........
this is just a quick run dwn...Ez 2000.0 in machine cost not counting piston ,oil pump bearings, gskts and a whole bunch of ther little stuff while your there -clutch, h2o pump ect,ect . You don' want your local auto shop to do this stuff,-a shop that spc.in big stuff is what you want.
did i mention clean the rad while there...see what I mean-can be a big list
Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by PourinDiesel
What DJ says.
Except for the fellow on TDR (whitenite) whose father's 24 valve split open a Fleetguard, lost all the oil and destroyed the engine. Neither Dodge or Cummins was going to cover it under warranty because no matter which filter you use the warranty on oil related damage is void unless the dealer does your oil changes. The truck was down several months while they duked it out, not sure what ever became of it.

I don't use Fram filters because they're cheap but folks I've known who have destroyed engines due to them have had zero problems with Fram replacing the engine. Makes you wonder which is really worse, Fram or Fleetguard.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 PM

Infidel,

If I remember that story correctly, that guys dad recently changed his oil and the old oil filter gasket was left on the engine - so when the new filter went on he had two gaskets....I can see how youd have a failure doing that - Fleetguard OR Fram...OR anything else...

If thats not the same case I apologize.....I dont see how a 24V can split an oil filter, unless the 12V filter was used on the 24V....
Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 PM

DJ is right. If it is the crank and it is knocking that bad than the damage is done. however You could started it and loosen the injector lines 1 at a time and possibly narrow down which cylinder is causing the knock. If you find out which cylinder it is you could then do a compression check and make sure it isnt a scored cylinder. A scored cylinder will cause a heavy knock.
If you have good compression you can then swap 2 nozzles. Take one from the knocking cylinder and move it to a good cylinder. Start the engine and see if the knock stayed with the cylinder or moved with the nozzle. If it moves with the nozzle than it is the nozzle.
Good luck
Old 01-24-2004, 09:44 PM

NO!! I remember that deal and it didn't have two gaskets, but they tried to use that as an excuse!!!! Just goes to show you can use anyfilter you want, if you don't have the service done at the dealer and keep your reciepts they will do anything and everything to get out of warr. coverage.

Quick Reply: Spun a bearing