Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

SPS62 vs 35/B2 Twins

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've read both of them run out of air around 550ish hp on a 24v, the twins will spool better but they should tow about the same at moderate loads.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thekidfan
Did you mean k-31?
Yes, a typo!!!
K31
Old 12-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by J Lent
Its because you are underfueled for the turbo. Bigger sticks would change your opinion. I wouldn't trade my setup for anything & I tow 15k# through mountains.
Wil bigger injectors reduce the smoke getting spooled? I doubt it, it may spool quicker but I want to clean up the smoke.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by j-fox
Wil bigger injectors reduce the smoke getting spooled? I doubt it, it may spool quicker but I want to clean up the smoke.
I get no smoke with the box turned off & it isn't bad with the box on.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM

Wow, in hot weather if I'm pulling atrailer--maybe4,000 lbs- Ican't drive away from a stop light or keep up with a school bus without fogging a lane!!!!!That is with the box off!
Turn it on and I can paint the road black.
So I ask, why so diferent???
Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Its alot easier to control the smoke with a stick than with an auto I bet.Thats got to have alot to do with it.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
NO, bigger injectors will NOT reduce off-boost smoke.

Quicker spoolup with bigger injectors is over-hyped, and only happens AFTER your already making boost.

Yes, a manual trans makes smoke control easier. Think about it--the factory installed smaller turbos on auto trannies than on stick shift trucks. Smoke is an emissions consideration.

If you can make any more off-boost smoke than just a tiny puff, you're already spooling the turbo as well is it can be spooled.

jh
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOHN
NO, bigger injectors will NOT reduce off-boost smoke.

Quicker spoolup with bigger injectors is over-hyped, and only happens AFTER your already making boost.

jh
True, if you are just dumping more fuel in. Industrial Injections sticks have great spray patterns which balances the fuel across the bowl in the piston making more power. For example, the other 150hp injectors usually only have 7 holes where II's sticks have 10 smaller holes which atomize the fuel better to create the power rather than just dump more fuel by boring the holes out.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 PM

That is my opinion too.
I just have a mismatch.
I don't have too much fuel, just not enough air quick enough!!!
I love the power level it is at, only issue is the slow spool.
So, twins should be the answer if I do it right.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM

True, if you are just dumping more fuel in. Industrial Injections sticks have great spray patterns which balances the fuel across the bowl in the piston making more power. For example, the other 150hp injectors usually only have 7 holes where II's sticks have 10 smaller holes which atomize the fuel better to create the power rather than just dump more fuel by boring the holes out.

Then I think you should have said that I.I.s injectors can improve spoolup because of their design-- you gave the impression that bigger injectors help just by virtue of sheer size, which isn't the case.

At least, imo
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOHN
Then I think you should have said that I.I.s injectors can improve spoolup because of their design-- you gave the impression that bigger injectors help just by virtue of sheer size, which isn't the case.

At least, imo
If smoke at low boost/no boost is the issue, a smaller turbo is the only way to improve smoke control. Faster spoolup is a injector/fueling problem & I have proven that by trying multiple injector/turbo combos on my truck. I'm not saying that the truck will smoke less at low boost....I'd be lying, but it will smoke for a shorter amount of time leaving less of a cloud. I am saying that more fuel will spool it up faster. Try putting a 64/14 on a truck with any box that you choose with stock sticks, then add some injectors to the mix, then tell me that they don't make it spool faster. Anyone with a automatic truck running the same turbo with bigger sticks wanna chime in & compare temps?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM

I just finished porting my ATS manifold and sps 62/14. At an elevation of 5200' It makes 10 psi @ 1550 rpm, a 100 rpm improvement over non-ported. It will make 35-38 by 1800.
I've been near sea level once or twice with the old setup, and it used to spool about 200 rpm sooner.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM

If smoke at low boost/no boost is the issue, a smaller turbo is the only way to improve smoke control. Faster spoolup is a injector/fueling problem & I have proven that by trying multiple injector/turbo combos on my truck. I'm not saying that the truck will smoke less at low boost....I'd be lying, but it will smoke for a shorter amount of time leaving less of a cloud. I am saying that more fuel will spool it up faster. Try putting a 64/14 on a truck with any box that you choose with stock sticks, then add some injectors to the mix, then tell me that they don't make it spool faster. Anyone with a automatic truck running the same turbo with bigger sticks wanna chime in & compare temps?
I guess we need to define what we are talking about with spoolup. Are we talking about the time it takes to go from no boost to some boost, or are we talking about going from 3psi to 30psi, for example?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 PM

what does it take to twin a stock turbo on a 98 12v 215hp motor? to be in the 450 to 500 range. not trying to hyjack, just trying to learn. thanks kevin
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM

Kevin, it depends on what you do with the truck, and how much fuel/power you are after.
Jerret, since I hijacked your thread, I need to hand it back to you.!!!
Since you have the HO motor and of course the 6 speed, you may be ok using the 62 on top.
Just try it and see if it works good for you.
Money can change it if it doesn't ok!!!

Quick Reply: SPS62 vs 35/B2 Twins