Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

SPRING ON A waste gate

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPRING ON A waste gate

I have been looking at a few member's rigs here and i noticed a few pictures with a spring on the waste gate handle to the altinator bracket. How effective is this...? Similar to a J- hook iam guessing, but was wondering what the pressure rating was on the spring.? Just looks like a Cheap way for boost..
Old 07-08-2006, 11:48 PM

are you talking about a J-hook <<-- clicky here ?

yes, a boost elbow will not work in my truck
Old 07-08-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the Ace hardware $1.50 turnbuckle.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:59 PM

no Jeff.. its where the Turn buckel would go.... but instead of a turn buckel its a ordinary spring just hooked around the waste gate handle and then streched to the Altanator bracket. I was just wondering what the Tenstion rating would be on the spring its self.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:40 AM

here's what i, and a lot of other guys did here, i didn't even use a spring, no need for one. for the readings, i can't say for sure b/c i don't have a boost guage yet, but from what i've been told, i myself anyway, should be around 32psi. but not for sure. hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:56 AM

ya i have seen that alot! But iam not too keen on doing it that way just for the simple fact that I HOLD IT! if ya know what i mean and i don't wanna blow anything.
I like that spring Idea cause it will open if theres too much right.? but i need to know the tenstion rating on it before i get one.. Cause then i'd be like having a turnbuckel if it don't open at all.. and i don't really want that.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With no power add ons (based on your signature) you won't blow anything.
If I remember correctly... with an Edge EZ, some 80 hp injectors, and a turnbuckle... locked down tight... I could not exceed 35 psi. Did no damage anywhere!!

In theory, the springs allow some opening of the wastegate...but I've never seen anyone report lower boost #'s (with a J-Hook) than with a turnbuckle??

And, you can't add boost without a boost fooler (built into the EZ)...it will just defuel if over 22 psi.

RJ
Old 07-09-2006, 12:43 PM

vj M, with the stock turbo and edge ez turbo maxed out at around 20#s of boost. Turnbuckle + Edge EZ + 15-20 min. = 32#s of boost, and lower EGTs. I ran a edge ez for 2 years on my truck without a turnbuckle After turnbuckle and new set of (mild) sticks, the truck behaves much differently . Save your money and do the turnbuckle.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:29 PM

Ok, going to try and use the turnbuckle but i was wondering if u have to take off that ajustable Rod going to the wastegate.? and what size turnbuckel and how long do i need and about how tight do i tighten it, just sung it up..?

VJ
Old 07-10-2006, 06:23 PM

ok vjM, here's the scoop...

first off, no assembling of any wastegate part is required.
second, the part of the turnbuckle that you grab hold of and turn to tighten or loosen is 3.5 inches long, thread size doesn't matter, and then i ran a 10" long self fabricated hooked rod from the turnbuckle to the wastegate.
third, i just snugged it up with my hands, then gave it just a little extra with an adjustable wrence.

hope this helps, if ya got more questions, just ask.
also, look at the pic i posted, you can see the rod...
Old 07-10-2006, 06:31 PM

...and some other things, my local hardware store didn't have a dual hooked turnbuckle, they only had ones with a hook on one side and an eye on the other end, and if the same goes for you, it's no biggy, just put the turnbuckle in a vise, and carefully bend out the eye to a hook with a pry bar.

let us all know how ya come out, some pics too
Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM

whats the total lenght of the turnbuckle, can i get one long enough that will just fit in there from the wastegate handle to the altanoator bracket.? or i have to use something like u have got done there.? like extend it./?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 PM

you can get a long one that will reach, mine will actually reach the whole distance, but it was so hard to get it tightened down i just decided to fab myself a hook and paint it up all pretty like.

i'm not sure on the overall legnth but if you get one with the same "handle" legnth as mine it will be the same overall legnth in theory. but if you wanna try a longer one then i'd say go for it and if you have trouble with it like i did, you could always fab up a shorter hook.

but remember, with a turnbuckle, you have plenty of room for error in legnth measurements, b/c those things really do go from looong to shrt.

and if you do a hook like i did, you might have to put a lil' bend in it where the turbo is, b/c my rod hit the turbo, but not hard at all, just a heads up.

good luck bud, and again let me know what ya went with.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ridiculous
.. my local hardware store didn't have a dual hooked turnbuckle, they only had ones with a hook on one side and an eye on the other end, and if the same goes for you, it's no biggy, just put the turnbuckle in a vise, and carefully bend out the eye to a hook with a pry bar.
I had same problem....just bgt two for about $4.00 and used the other turnbuckle, with two 'eyes', to tighten the gate on my chain link fence.

One other thing. The turnbuckles WILL vibrate loose so you need to safety wire them... unless you find one with lock nuts on it!

RJ
Old 07-11-2006, 03:04 PM

Well, i did it today and what a difference! iam gettin 31 at max and usally sittin around 28 30 very pleased.. i will try and get some pics soon i bought a 3" turnbuckel and a long U bolt i put a hook in the u bolt and streched it i need about 2" (man i was ****** off)lol so i used the flat clamp that came off the u bolt and bolted it to the altantor bracket. ! It worked and as for it vibraing loose i nocited that just after a first drive.. the waste gate began slappin.... so iam thinkin about useing some thread lock... I had to extra nuts and just after reading ur post there Johnson, I rembered that i left them on the valve cover (ARRRRRR) i could have used them to lock it.. oh well../?

it works anyways better pull and i noticed the egts are down about 250' at wide open.. thats always nice!
thanks guys
I'll get some pics up for ya Ridiculous.

*******PICS ARE UP ON MY PROFILE.. Couldn't Figure out how to upload them on to this..*******

VJ

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by vj_M; 07-12-2006 at 03:22 AM. Reason: to add pics

Quick Reply: SPRING ON A waste gate