Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

spinner oil filters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spinner oil filters?

Sorry if this has been brought up already, I haven't seen it recently so....
Spinner oil filter Any good?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
They work very well. Quite a lot of them on heavy trucks. Fleetguard makes them as well.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 AM

Where can you get them? I called the number on the spinner II site (www.spinnerii.com) to ask some questions. He said the Model 25 is suitable for our trucks.. That is the same filter this guy used:

http://dodgeram.org/rides/14/John_P/index.html

Then I asked where I can buy it and he asked my zip code. There's one retailer close to me (100 miles) here in So. Cal and he said the Model 25 runs about $250. But I'm not sure about the exact figure. Also he said you should mount it before the oil filter so it receives maximum oil pressure. But if we mount it before the regular oil filter, then I see no point in even having the regular oil filter since the Spinner II should filter the oil down to 1/2 a micron and it would get dirty fast.

Anyway, I would like to get this but I'm not willing to spend $250 for one especially since my truck isn't exactly brand new. So if you guys know anything about other manufacturers or retailers that sell centrifugal oil filters then let me know. Looking for the best price out there.

Also might want to check out this thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=65080
Old 03-31-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by wcbcruzer
Where can you get them? I called the number on the spinner II site (www.spinnerii.com) to ask some questions. He said the Model 25 is suitable for our trucks.. That is the same filter this guy used:

http://dodgeram.org/rides/14/John_P/index.html

Then I asked where I can buy it and he asked my zip code. There's one retailer close to me (100 miles) here in So. Cal and he said the Model 25 runs about $250. But I'm not sure about the exact figure. Also he said you should mount it before the oil filter so it receives maximum oil pressure. But if we mount it before the regular oil filter, then I see no point in even having the regular oil filter since the Spinner II should filter the oil down to 1/2 a micron and it would get dirty fast.

Anyway, I would like to get this but I'm not willing to spend $250 for one especially since my truck isn't exactly brand new. So if you guys know anything about other manufacturers or retailers that sell centrifugal oil filters then let me know. Looking for the best price out there.

Also might want to check out this thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=65080
I also have a 95 and intend to get the max miles out of the engine, and Cummins are known for their longevity. I definitely understand looking for the best price, but I would think something like this would be worth the money if it means more miles out of an engine.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM

I looked into a spinner about a year and a half ago. If I remember correctly, the primary task of the installation requires the removal of the oil pan in order to tap threads into the side of it.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Should a person even dare to consider teeing (Y-ing) into the Turbo oil return line to the crankcase??? There can't be THAT much oil flowing into that crankcase connection from the turbo... Is there??
I've wanted one of those little oil spinners too! The oil return line work is my showstopper.

Keith
Old 03-31-2005, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I quantity of oil flowing to the turbo is pretty low, I'd think.

I base this on the size of the orifice in the oil feed line to the turbo (the braided line that feeds the CHRA). Since this is such a small hole, it can't allow much flow at the 40-50psi of oil pressure typically seen.

Thus, I'd say it can't be returning much oil to the crankcase. I'd think a tee into the line would be perfectly fine, providing the spinner didn't flow so much oil as to overwhelm the drain.

Justin

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
I quantity of oil flowing to the turbo is pretty low, I'd think.

I base this on the size of the orifice in the oil feed line to the turbo (the braided line that feeds the CHRA). Since this is such a small hole, it can't allow much flow at the 40-50psi of oil pressure typically seen.

Thus, I'd say it can't be returning much oil to the crankcase. I'd think a tee into the line would be perfectly fine, providing the spinner didn't flow so much oil as to overwhelm the drain.

Justin
I thought the same thing...

I had a very small kink in my 3/4" hose that drains the HT3B to the bung on the block. It was enough to cause oil to come out past the bushing and into the compressor housing.

I really don’t know how to test if the turbo drain would be adequate?

The other Justin
Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 PM

I may be wrong, but aren't there other spots on the B5.9 block that provide access to the crankcase??? Cummins' big engines have ports all over the place for various connections...
I haven't had a B engine on an engine stand (yet) and actually eyeballed the holes into block.
Maybe you guys that have had one stripped down can say...

Keith