Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Spider Gears Broke AGAIN in my Dana 80!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider Gears Broke AGAIN in my Dana 80!?

Oh Crap!
Spider gears are all shot, the cross piece is broke, ABS ring is shot.
Only thing that is good is the carrier & ring & pinion.

I just had the spider gears replaced last week..

Now what do I do?

Let me know what you suggest...

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bobcat698
Oh Crap!
Spider gears are all shot, the cross piece is broke, ABS ring is shot.
Only thing that is good is the carrier & ring & pinion.

I just had the spider gears replaced last week..

Now what do I do?

Let me know what you suggest...

Thanks!
I think this might have something to do with it:

12 hooks and counting, no carnage!
Average 6th place in Truck pulls.
My throttle isn't variable.. Its only ON or OFF!

phox
Old 06-01-2006, 02:42 PM

I'm in the same boat rite now, I'm looking at getting a custom made differential, but EEP makes minney spool kit to help keep the spider gears in one piece. http://www.enterpriseengine.com now you have something for your wall of carnage.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Do they make a locker for an 80? Might be time to swap something in.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:50 PM

http://www.extremegearoffroad.com/st...cat=493&page=1

Now is the time BobCat...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:07 PM

A detroit locker is pretty stout. I know they don't advertise one for an 80 but the dana 70 model should work you'd just need to drill the ring gear bolt holes out a bit.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a detroit locker in mine and fixed all that dumb $***. Works like a champ. They don't make one specifically for the 80, but a 70 HD unit works once the ring gear bolt holes are drilled out bigger to accomodate the larger bolts of the 80. You can buy them already set up. One thing was a major pain in the *** in mine though-the locker replaces the whole carrier. Well, apparently the locker was a bit wider than the stock carrier. It would not fit in the case, no way no how-even using the case spreader. It so happens that the later dana 80's (not sure when they started this, at least as far back as '98) use a set of steel shims between the carrier bearings and the housing. These are NOT for setting the bearing preload-there are shims inboard of the carrier bearings for that. They are there to protect the housing in the event that someone screws up the installation by putting too little preload in it, or if the carrier bearings seize up. What we did is take those case protector shims and machine them down. It was a *****, as we didn't really have the right tools. We did it on a big belt sander normally used to surface cylinder heads. The shims were 193 thousandths thick at the start. One was around 70 thousandths thick at the end, and the other was about 58 thousandths. This just HAPPENED to be PERFECT-it put preload at 6 thousandths without any shims at all inboard of the carrier bearings. You won't be that lucky if you have to machine down the case protectors-I couldn't do that again in 1000 years. One thing to watch out for is that you keep the shims the same thickness all the way around. Constant checking with a micrometer is how we did it.

Alternative: If you have access to a good size lathe, chuck the locker in it and simply turn some material off the ends where the bearings/shims butt up against it. That way, you won't have to mess with the case protectors.

Functionally, the locker works great. No popping going around corners, and no violent locking/unlocking. It's my daily driver, and I wouldn't really even notice it if I didn't know it was there. The only thing it does is put some extra slack in the drivetrain. It's not a terrible amount, and you get used it pretty quickly.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

i feel for ya dude, i broke mine about a two years ago and what a pain in the donkey. i put a junkyard special in with supposedly 35k on it and have had no problems so far. my old one's sitting behind the shop waiting to get rebuilt. keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:38 PM

Talking to Randy's ring & pinion, and they have a Dana 80 locker.
The Dodges only have 35 spline axles, correct?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AFAIK, 35 spline on our 80s.

The problem is if you have the 3.54s like I do. The locker for the 80s only works with 4.10 and up carrier

If you are like me and have a 3.54 Dana 80, there's NOTHING on the market for this app this is just a drop-in application. A Powr-lok is as good as it gets.

Bobcat, if you shattered your spiders again, then I'd submit to you that the installation was not done properly.

jh
Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
AFAIK, 35 spline on our 80s.

The problem is if you have the 3.54s like I do. The locker for the 80s only works with 4.10 and up carrier

If you are like me and have a 3.54 Dana 80, there's NOTHING on the market for this app this is just a drop-in application. A Powr-lok is as good as it gets.

Bobcat, if you shattered your spiders again, then I'd submit to you that the installation was not done properly.

jh
I have 4.10s

Do you think they may have been installed incorrectly, even though I was using them in this application?
Click here to see Video

Another angle:
Click here to see Video
You can hear them break at the 50 foot mark
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Banned

man, all that bouncing cooked 'em... you need some ladder bars w/ a badness
Old 06-02-2006, 10:08 AM
DTR Advertiser

Dang. I have been struggling with this myself.

Side hilling in the Rockies during hunting season, I dont want a Detroit, but the strength is great.

ARB is the answer but it is way too much cash.

I have an 80 with 4:10's, but changed them out to 3:54's 2.5 years ago. Front and back.

I really liked the way the 4:10's drive VS the 3:54's, but the freeway RPM is insane with the 4:10's.

I cant win. Perhaps a set of 3.31's and a G56 trans is the answer?

Don~
Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Two Words...US Gear

Chris
Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Chapter President

Not a big tech guy in the pullin world, but I have to agree with phox on this one and everyone else saying upgrade...that's a lot of strain doin what you are. Good pull though!

Quick Reply: Spider Gears Broke AGAIN in my Dana 80!?