Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Spacers installed - The axle is sticking out rediculously from driver's fender!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spacers installed - The axle is sticking out rediculously from driver's fender!

I just put 2" BDS steel spacers on last week, and things went pretty darn good. I was running my stock steel wheels with the 285/75-16's on them. I didn't notice any issues at all.

Yesterday I got my new Explorer ProComp black steel "streetlock" type wheels (16x8, 4.25" BS) and 315/75-16's put on and all kind of trouble ensued....

The tires rub so bad on my mudflaps and my factory nerf bars that I can barely make a complete turn. The tire sticks out about 2.5 inches out the driver's side fender and about 1.5 on the passenger side.

I made an appointment for an alignment tomorrow, but I doubt that will take care of the tire-sticking-out issue. Does everybody have these troubles with levelling kits? What should I do? I know that a lift is the answer, and I plan on doing the 5.5" Fabtech kit in July, but until then, this is rediculous....
Old 05-27-2004, 02:10 AM

You need a longer tracbar to make up for the increased distance between the axle and frame. There are only a few players in town and they're expensive.
Linstad makes an adjustable tracbar that you weld when adjusted to the desired length 1-800-432-0017, their website is down so I'm not sure if they're still around. DTProFab makes a nice piece but its spendy. http://dtprofab.com/dodge.htm . The easiest and cheapest way to hold yourself over till July and the bigger lift kit is to go back to the 285's until then.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:15 AM

The main reason they stick out is probably the new aftermarket wheels have a different offset with less backspacing.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Black
The main reason they stick out is probably the new aftermarket wheels have a different offset with less backspacing.
Yes. It's VERY important to have the correct wheels when trying for max tire clearance.. I've seen a LOT of Dodges that have wheels that are completely wrong.

With the incorrect offset, you can expect premature bearing failure if the truck is used hard.

Justin
Old 05-27-2004, 11:01 AM

I have the same BDS lift and I have no rub at all. I have american raceing wheels and 315-75 R16 wheels rims are 16/8
DM01
Old 05-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A while back I had a jeep cherokee that I put a 4" pro comp lift on it and had the same end result, man was I ******. Along with a slew of other problems from the less than quality kit ,IMO. I had to spend as much in fix its as the kit was to get working right. Go find a good track bar.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I had that exact same problem when I put my 2 inch spacer and Welds on.

My axle wasn't that far off, but my rub was horrible.

I had to make wide semi like turns for a month till I got my lift kit installed.
Destroyed my factory splash guards on the front.

Every truck is different and will handle the spacers, aftermarket wheels, and bigger tires differently.

Your only options are living with the rub till July,
or getting your lift installed early,
or put your stock wheels back on.

Don't toss your money at a new trac bar yet, as your lift will have the extension bracket for it.

I wouldn't worry about aligning it now, the spacers shouldn't have changed much of that,
and you'll definately have to align it again after the lift.

phox
Old 05-27-2004, 09:32 PM

i dont want to be a thread ******* but i put 2" spacers in my truck also i have a DTT pro fab trac bar, darrins steering brace all new tie rod ends brand new tires, brand new skyjacker shocks and have had the truck alighned 2 times now and its worse than it was stock!! there is so much slop im allover the place! just tired of dumping money into the front end of this truck and not getting any positive results!!! any ideas of what to do or try now?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by powerwagon440
any ideas of what to do or try now?
DSS plain and simple.

I think this is the only one still being produced.

http://www.solidsteel.ca/DSS.htm

That is my next purchase, after I finish paying for the winch.

phox
Old 05-27-2004, 09:49 PM

I havnt had any problem with the 2 inch spacers yet and my dad has had no problem with his 4.5" lift. All bds. Were only running 33" tires though on the stock wheels right now. I cant seem to find anyone with affordable h2 take offs anymore Oh well. Phox, that dss kit. Will that take the place also of the steering box brace or whatever that places like Piers sells?

Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Captain
Phox, that dss kit. Will that take the place also of the steering box brace or whatever that places like Piers sells?

Chris
It's probably the same thing.

Many vendors carry it.

That link is for the guy that makes them, more technical information.

phox
Old 05-28-2004, 01:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by powerwagon440
i dont want to be a thread ******* but i put 2" spacers in my truck also i have a DTT pro fab trac bar, darrins steering brace all new tie rod ends brand new tires, brand new skyjacker shocks and have had the truck alighned 2 times now and its worse than it was stock!! there is so much slop im allover the place! just tired of dumping money into the front end of this truck and not getting any positive results!!! any ideas of what to do or try now?
I would note the following:

The SkyJacker shocks suck (they're probably $10 each to make), and are probably a part of the problem.

The DT track bar is a great piece-- make sure the ends are tightened down and adjusted properly.

Make sure that your alignment guy dials in enough positive caster-- Positive caster is the alignment spec most responsible for making the truck track straight. If you have a lift, odds are that it's difficult or impossible to get enough positive caster.

It sounds to me like the only remaining possible causes of slop in the front end are the postive caster I mentioned, and the possibility of a worn steering box itself. The DSS will do wonders to help a box last, but it can't fix a worn box. See if you can't adjust your steering box to maybe tighten it up a little bit.

What exactly is the "looseness" you feel? Is it wandering? Slop in the steering wheel? What else?

JLH
Old 05-28-2004, 01:53 PM

i allready have the DSS!!! it didnt help one bit!! i had a set of bilesteins on the truck and they blew apart!!! the looseness im feeling is like u are riding in a boat!! the wave motion back and fourth!! its pretty bad all the time i usually cruise at 60mph but anything over 65mph is cant keep it between the ditches!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

What size tires are you running?

Are they load range "E"?

I know my "C" tires
(yes, I'm getting "E"s next time, even though the "C"s have the same weight rating)
are kind of "wavy", the sidewalls being not at thick as the "E" tires, they don't track well.
You turn the wheel, the sidewall flexes as the tire turns, so you end up overcorrecting.

I didn't see the DSS in your post the first time, but got the info out there for those who don't have one.

phox

Quick Reply: Spacers installed - The axle is sticking out rediculously from driver's fender!