Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

South Bend DD just installed...... But what the???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I'm starting to feel like it's a badge of honor to hear the DD a humming!!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 PM

mine is the same way as well only with the upgraded hydraulics you can take the sound out but it will shift harder I haven't found a happy medium yet, I wasn't expecting any moise either and if the tranny continues to shift as hard as it is I figure I wasted my cash....the fe shifted WAY better and was WAY quieter the only perk so far is the 2nd gear shudder is not there anymore. BUT as with anything I will give it sometime I only have 200-300 miles on my DD so far
Old 06-30-2007, 07:53 AM

I just installed an SBC 3600 in mine. Hooks up hard and now I can barely get the truck into third gear. No rattle yet but I only have 100 miles on the new clutch. I thinking a hydraulic upgrade is in my immediate future. The old knee starts knocking when I am in traffic.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bridleman
Installed the South Bend 3250 DD today wasn't to bad, But the truck when stopped and running and you go to engage the clutch when pedal is fully pressed it sounds like a jack hammer. Once you get to driving it the noise goes away until you stop again. Is this normal? Does that floating plate between the two discs kinda...well float? Or is it that I am in need of the hydraulic upgrade, which I thought but everyone said no. Some info would be nice plan on calling Peter in the morning. Thanks Chris
The plate floats and rattles.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 PM

I just want to say that when I first start the truck is when it rattles the most as I get to driving it it quiets WAY down almost no noise and as far as shifting every bit as good as the last two clutches(stock and Center Force Dual Friction) if no better. Very Happy so far with this clutch
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 AM

I have put some miles on mine in the last day and it is getting MUCH better to shift, as far as the diesel ratlle wil the fluiddamper units help this much and will they help shifting much, I was looking at one possibly for simply longevity for the engine.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by greenworks
I have put some miles on mine in the last day and it is getting MUCH better to shift, as far as the diesel ratlle wil the fluiddamper units help this much and will they help shifting much, I was looking at one possibly for simply longevity for the engine.

Don't expect the Fluidampr to be the magic bullet, but it does help. No Cummins sqeak on shut down anymore. Rattle seems somewhat reduced. Overall a little more smooth, but not the "end all, be all." I do think it a good thing to add on a high horsepower Cummins though.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM

Smile

Just wanted all to know that since I posted this thread I've put about 500mi on the new clutch and it is SWEET!! Finally I've been able to turn things on kill without the clutch slippin and it just keeps pulling me through the gears it's GREAT!! Alright you hard core motor heads bare with me, For the rest of you who are like me and have trouble getting the truck in reverse I have found that if you put it in second then put it in reverse it goes right in with no effort.Hope this update helps and for those of you who are thinking about a new clutch or need one now... let me say that you get what you pay for so go with a South Bend, there is no doubt that it was worth the money.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by greenworks
I'm quite impressed with my fluidampr. I had a good vibe at 70 km/h in 4th with the DD clutch, and the new damper almost entirely eliminated it. I don't know how much of an issue this is with the sprung hubs, but with my unsprung unit, it is definitely worth the money.

Have you done any 3rd gear launches yet?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 PM

No 3rd gear launches YET waiting to put my turbo and head studs in first. Hopefully in the next week or two, turbo is here just trying to find the time
Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 AM

mine lately has been super hard again to get it into gear, litterly half to muscle it in to every gear especially while stopped.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Weird?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM

seems that sometimes I can not get the truck in any gear for 4-6 seconds after the clutch is activated, and 50 % of the time 2 to third is a hard shift as well.Thoughts. How long does it take your trucks to get into a gear from a dead stop afer the clutch is pushed in mine at best is 2 seconds but more often closer to 3 4 seconds is that normal?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Mine seems to be harder to get into a gear from a stop... Feels like the stock hydraulics are no disengaging the clutch completely and slightly dragging the trans along... I talked to Peter and he told me 1. as the clutch breaks in it will loosen up and allow easier shifting. and 2. The upgraded hydro will assist in releasing the clutch more completely.. Time will tell only have 200miles on mine, and it is much improved over my sticky LUK....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM

Hate to burst any bubbles here but DD's will typically be harder to get into gear from a stop.
You might try to slide it into 3rd and then over to 1st when taking off, that worked pretty well for me with my old trans.

Alot of the time improved hydro's will help the situation but might not be a total cure for the behavior of the dual disc in general.

Quick Reply: South Bend DD just installed...... But what the???