Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

South Bend DD clutch squealing????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bend DD clutch squealing????

I just recently installed a SB DD 3600lb 12 button clutch when I installed the NV5600 in my truck, lately I've noticed a squeal as it engages when I pullout from a dead stop??? I noticed I had a bit of oil leaking from the very back valve cover & running down the back of the motor & then down the bellhousing, the clutch doesn't slip at all under load, but I wondered if I could be getting oil between the flywheel & the #1 disk , & not making it back to the #2 disk & the center plate, thus the first clutch slipping & the 2nd clutch holding ?????? is this possible??? I'm ordering valve cover gaskets tomorrow, & I guess time will tell for sure if this is the problem??? also, if there was oil on the disk, will it wear off in time, or could it cause permanent damage????? thanks, Dusty
Old 02-01-2006, 07:35 PM

I would get on that oil leak pronto.

If enough oil saturated that ceramic pucks you could ruin them.
I guess if you save it in time then you might be alright.

After you fix the oil leak listen for a day or 2 to see if the squealing goes away.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 PM

My buddys does the same thing but no oil leak. Clutch holds great and it only does it once in a blue moon so hes not worried.
DM01
Old 02-01-2006, 10:02 PM

wish mine only done it once in a blue moon, I hope when I get the leak cured that i'll go away, if it should stick around what would you guys do,?????? hey Peter where you at on this one man?????? any thoughts are surely appreciated, I'll let ya know how it does after I get the leak stopped, gonna try not to drive it much until I get it fixed, I'd hate to ruin this clutch, thanks again, Dusty
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
wish mine only done it once in a blue moon, I hope when I get the leak cured that i'll go away, if it should stick around what would you guys do,?????? hey Peter where you at on this one man?????? any thoughts are surely appreciated, I'll let ya know how it does after I get the leak stopped, gonna try not to drive it much until I get it fixed, I'd hate to ruin this clutch, thanks again, Dusty
I have the FE single in mine and I get the same squeal(Sounds like a wire brush being dragged across cast iron), I think it is the material that the facings are made of. Mine has done it since the clutch was put in a little over a year ago. It does not bother me, I would say just live with it. It isn't related to the oil leak, the oil will not run into the housing from the valve coverunless there is a spot at the seam that will make the oil pool (I don't think there is a spot like that on top.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try to do an aggressive launch to see if it is a glaze or dust issue. Sometimes these clutches do not like to be babied for long periods of time. If the clutch discs did get oil soaked, it will very difficult to get rid of the oil. If you find that you have to pull the tranny, feel free to shoot me the clutch and I will reline the discs for you and fix up whatever else it may need. You will only be out the shipping costs on the clutch end of things. Sorry to hear about the problem and hope helps.

Peter
Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Banned

"try to do an aggressive launch" "these clutches do not like to be babied"

LOL, I would have only listened to that from the manufactuerer

And once again, great customer service.

How is the project coming Peter

BBD
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hay Scott....

The prints and cad work are done for the CNC and the metal is ordered. As soon as it shows you will have our 1st triple disc clutch. It should be a beast of a clutch.

Peter
Old 02-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Scott, do you have a fax #...I will fax over the prints for you on the new flywheel.

Peter
Old 02-02-2006, 05:35 PM

thanks peter, I'll try that, I do probably baby it a little more than I should, just not used to a clutch that can actually take some abuse, I really paid attention today & noticed that it didn't squeal "every" time I pulled out, so maybe it is just a glaze or dust issue???? I'll take her out & give her a little spanking as soon as I get my valve cover gaskets on this evenin, I'll let ya know if it helps, thanks again, Dusty