Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

South Bend Clutch and full slplined shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bend Clutch and full splined shaft

Finished the install of the South bend clutch and a fully splined updated fifth gear shaft complete with new retainers and lock nut and am very very happy with the 13/1.25 con ofe and how it holds, On the new shaft I picked one up from Bluementhuas in Oklahoma City and apparently this is a new updated shaft which took the place of thier old fully splined and this new one looks to be full proof with the new retainers and lock nut I have attempted to add a photo of the new one and my old one to compare, I have more photos of the shaft and retainers in my gallery of any want to take a look. I highly reccomend to any that have a fifth gear problem to not to just patch it with a lock nut but go ahead and bite the bullet and opt for the fully splined shaft. This truck has only 60k miles and the gear was still good and tight, I just opted to secure it good as the wife and I are taking a very extensive trip this summer and just did not want to risk it. The company I got the shaft from already has close to 100 of the new shafts in service with not a return,and a couple has several thousands of miles on them. And as far as South Bend Clutch they are a great company who will go the extra mile in helping you pick out what you need and all the explanations you desire. Goodluck,,,Rick https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 04-21-2005, 06:47 PM

kandgo, Do you know if Bluementhuas manufactures their own shafts, or do they resell? What you described sounds like the shaft created by Quad 4x4. When I had my '99 rebuilt, Dan mentioned that he ships his shaft kits out to other rebuilders. Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about dropping 5th gear -- it's not fun while towing a TT across the country (BTDT).
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM

They do indeed sell them as kits to anyone who needs one, I was impressed with thiers, I have seen the one Qaud makes and to me they are two in the same just enough difference to prevent any arguments as I hear Quad is trying to patent thiers. I was having no problems, just the wife and I are going on about a 15k miles trip this summer and wanted no surprises. As I know the fifth gear is not if it comes off, it is a matter of when. Goodluck,,Rick