Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sound of 4" -Vs- 5" Single Straight Pipe Exhaust....??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Katmandu
Where is the CHEAPEST place to buy separate sections of 4" and 5" exhaust pipe ??
here's the cheapest i found...there are 7 options for dodges, click on the top-right to get the price of 5" individual pieces. $119 for 5" tailpipe.

http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigex...ry_id/1119.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Katmandu
Interesting Chris.

So it appears SOME backpressure is still NEEDED (even on Diesels.)
I don't think that its so much "Diesel" as it is forced aspiration.

Turbo's typically do better with no restriction. The larger the exhaust the better, with a diminishing return as you exceed the needs of the engine. Obviously the best exhaust for a turbo engine would be no exhaust...

The reason why a NA motor requires exhaust, is due to the pulse/scavenging effect. Something that a turbo takes care of on the cummins.

I'd be surprised if 5" hurt performance CTD unless you're running some outrageous turbo and in need of a 6"
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

Here is a video of my truck........it has 4" turbo back w/ no cat or muffler and a 5" tip. I freaking love the way it sounds.

OH AND BY THE WAY, don't pay attention to that 1/4 mile time, I was playing with my COMP box and boost launches and that run was HORRIBLE but the only one my ex wife managed to get on tape..........go figure

Clicky click

~Nick
Old 03-01-2006, 03:58 AM

So how much would a 5" tip change the sound? I have Rips 4" and I'm thinking of a 5" tip on the straight piped 4".
Old 03-01-2006, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=No they dont want back pressure, the reason a 4 inch will run better till about 550 is the air will pump more efficiantly out that size tube. a 5 inch does not keep air speed up well enough and will hurt the performance till you cross the magic 550 hp threshold.[/QUOTE]

Im still running the factory downpipe (saving money for a megamouth). Tried the straight pipe thing and felt it was too loud for my taste; do not want to disturb others at the campgrounds. So my question is how will the above affect me if I run a modified factory cat no muffler and 5" out to infront of the rear wheels.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2500CTD
So how much would a 5" tip change the sound? I have Rips 4" and I'm thinking of a 5" tip on the straight piped 4".
A larger or exhaust tip in general does nothing to the sound. I personally think tips that step up to the "larger" look are kind of goofy. I dont like false avertisement, kinda ricey. I like my nice 4" pipe sticking out, no tip needed
Old 03-02-2006, 03:04 PM

I have a five inch straight pipe sitting behind a 4inch downpipe. I used flex pipe to get over the axle, not the prettiest but works fairly well. I loved the sound, my buddy has dual 4 inch and his sounds amazing. Mine is loud and sounds great but my buddies dually just sounds better in my opinion and he doesn't have as much interior sound. He thought his truck was quiet because he never was outside to hear, but it was loud as hell.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my sons 5" is a lot deeper then my 4" ,both are strait piped
Old 03-02-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
''larger or exhaust tip in general does nothing to the sound.''

I'll have to disagree with that just a bit. Look at a trumpet in a marching band. There's about 27 feet of tubing in that thing, and all the same size...untill the bell. It's only the last 4 inches or so of that 27 feet, but without it, there would be almost no sound at all. I do agree that it's easy to mess up a tip and make it look 'ricey', but done properly they look fine and can have a very plesant effect on the sound. JMO.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by rebal
my sons 5" is a lot deeper then my 4" ,both are strait piped
Do they exit before/after the rear wheel ??

Any 2,000 RPM drone out of either of them ??

Old 03-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 74dart
Im still running the factory downpipe (saving money for a megamouth). Tried the straight pipe thing and felt it was too loud for my taste; do not want to disturb others at the campgrounds. So my question is how will the above affect me if I run a modified factory cat no muffler and 5" out to infront of the rear wheels.
so wait, you tried straight pipe and it was too loud, but now you want to run 5" straight pipe? yeah, it's gonna be LOUD!
Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am not sure where you could find the cheapest price for some pipes..I've got inside connections at work and got two 8 foot long 5" diameter pipes for free and fab'd up my exhaust off of that. I'll probably do the same thing when I put stacks on my truck
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM

Well I'm not positive on this but hear me out.
When your under a certin HP rating lets say 500 for this discussion going to a larger pipe may cause you to loose HP and here's my thinking on this.
4" pipe obviously is smaller so the amount of air moving through it @ 500 hp would be a smoth flow v/s changing to a 5" and causing the exhaust to stall in the larger pipe. Look at it like a river, durring its travels through a narrow canyon its moving fast and the edges dont have much turbulance then when it gets to a wider area the same amount of water is still there but it moves way slower and the edges have turbulance, water swirling around etc.
Air flow would look the same.
Now truthfully I doubt going to a 5" pipe is going to create any problems like maybe a 8" pipe would. Our little 5.9 ltr's move an amazing amount of air.

After I read back through this I'm guessing with the amount of air we are stuffing through our engines that even a stocker would be ok with a 5" pipe.

Anyone else have input?

Dan
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 PM

Ive got a 5 inch system on mine and I love it. I have a 4 inch downpipe then at the end of the downpipe it goes to 5 inch. All my buddies say it sounds like semi. A little louder that a straight 3 or 4 inch but alot deeper meaner sound. I didnt notice any more cab noise though. I bought mine from Marty's Muffler Mart in Rolla, Mo. I think the brand of it was Flo-Pro, it came with a muffler but I had him just put a piece of pipe there instead. With all the pipe, a 5 inch stainless tip, and labor it was around $640 installed. Go ahead and do it, you will love it. Couldn't tell a difference power wise from a straight 3 inch system. Im sure it helped my EGTs a little too.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by 01smoker
Ive got a 5 inch system on mine and I love it. I have a 4 inch downpipe then at the end of the downpipe it goes to 5 inch. All my buddies say it sounds like semi. A little louder that a straight 3 or 4 inch but alot deeper meaner sound. I didnt notice any more cab noise though.
Where does it exit ? Any 2k RPM drone issues ??

I want to know how a 4" or 5" straight exhaust the exits BEFORE the rear wheel sounds.

Quick Reply: Sound of 4" -Vs- 5" Single Straight Pipe Exhaust....??