Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Somewhat A BHAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhat A BHAF

Went in to Traction today (where I work) and got myself this air filter for the truck. I didn't want to wait to have them order in, or NAPA order in the regular ones that you guys run. So I just bought this one instead. It was fully enclosed except for the end where the intake tube hooks on. So I just took out my knife quickly and cut that square in it. I might cut some more from the bottom though. I also got some sheet metal and cut/made a heat shield for it, then welded them together using JB Weld. It is drying right now so it wont be on the truck until tomorrow. But anyways here are the pics, purchased it for $36 CDN, so about $34 US, It is regularly $68 CDN

Another thing before I head off to work. There has always been a small amount of oil coming through the turbo for about a couple of months, and you can see it near fins and behind where the silencer ring would be. This afternoon while changing my filter over I noticed a decent amount of oil on the back side of the intake compressor, near the oil tube on the bottom. I'm thinking that my turbo is soon ready to fall apart, so what should I do??

Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats COOL!!! A BHAF with heatshield built in... Brilliant!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of filter did u have before the Bhaf?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Box5
what kind of filter did u have before the Bhaf?
I had my stock box and stock filter. The filter was dirty so I decided to go looking around. A normal flat one was like $15, so I figured hey, why not just buy this one for $36.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Good setup!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just thinking, you could use that aluminum ducting tape to cover the side against the turbo. Voila, heat shield built in! Still liking that filter, even if you left it covered, it would be a good mud bogger filter.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Thanks Guys

Lil Dog, Yea thought it was a good idea to just get one this way, Figured I could just cut the plastic away as I did, and just build a heat shield out of scrap metal, or use your idea,lol. But being as my shield is already built I'll try that out and see how I like it. It probably would make a good mud air filter, even if it sat right there as is, or was on a snorkel of some sort. Once I get around 100km/h I can hear it hollowing a little bit(probably from the holes in the front), but once above like 110 the sound goes away due to other factors
Old 07-25-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dinner
Went in to Traction today (where I work) and got myself this air filter for the truck. I didn't want to wait to have them order in, or NAPA order in the regular ones that you guys run. So I just bought this one instead. It was fully enclosed except for the end where the intake tube hooks on. So I just took out my knife quickly and cut that square in it. I might cut some more from the bottom though. I also got some sheet metal and cut/made a heat shield for it, then welded them together using JB Weld. It is drying right now so it wont be on the truck until tomorrow. But anyways here are the pics, purchased it for $36 CDN, so about $34 US, It is regularly $68 CDN

Another thing before I head off to work. There has always been a small amount of oil coming through the turbo for about a couple of months, and you can see it near fins and behind where the silencer ring would be. This afternoon while changing my filter over I noticed a decent amount of oil on the back side of the intake compressor, near the oil tube on the bottom. I'm thinking that my turbo is soon ready to fall apart, so what should I do??

Thanks

looks good, i use to get the Donaldson BHAF from traction until i got my ScottyII
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
looks good, i use to get the Donaldson BHAF from traction until i got my ScottyII
Yea they deal a lot with Donaldson, pretty much everything there is Donaldson,lol I'm trying to decide if that would be a good oil filter to run on my truck...right now I have a FRAM
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Chapter President

If you have AC don't forget to get a piece of hose split it and put it over the AC line under the BHAF or it will rub a nice hole in the AC line.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dinner

Thanks
Leaking seals on the compressor side are not good. The engine can inhale the oil and run on it, causing a runaway (depending on the amount of oil), and it can also puddle in your intercooler. You could replace it or rebuild/reseal it (kits go for around $80 on ebay IIRC).
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by gman07
Leaking seals on the compressor side are not good. The engine can inhale the oil and run on it, causing a runaway (depending on the amount of oil), and it can also puddle in your intercooler. You could replace it or rebuild/reseal it (kits go for around $80 on ebay IIRC).
Yea there is some oil that stays in the intercooler and I can drain a few drops out of it if i take off the boots Is there any other kits out there, from companies, websites that I could also look at? Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Dinner, what part number did you use? i like the built in shield
Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
jls

That looks good. I'd like to find one one too.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Hmm, I will check at work on Tuesday and find out which part number it was. I can't remember too well right now being as we looked through the book just to find it. Once I know I will let you guys know. I know there was a couple other selections, just a different size if you would like smaller, wider, etc. So I will try to get those as well.

Quick Reply: Somewhat A BHAF