Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Some ?s about Diesel Manor's Guage Kit B4 I Buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some ?s about Diesel Manor's Guage Kit B4 I Buy.

i just have a few questions about the kit before i buy it here in a couple of days whenever my credit card payment comes through.

1) what the heck does "NPT" mean?
2) does it seriously come with EVERYTHING necessary to install it (besides the tap and bit)
3) i'm not going to buy the tap and bit for the EGT guage from them cause i think the price is a little steep so, what size tap do i need? can i get it from, say, sears? and what size drill bit do i need?
4) now for the boost guage. i hear there is a plug on the firewall side of the intake manifold that we can tap into and don't have to drill anything out, is this true? if not please fill me in on installing a boost guage.

thanx
Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 PM

I can answer a couple. NPT is National Pipe Tapered Thread. The size denoted is for the ID of the pipe, which is why a 1/8" NPT takes a R bit (11/32 is within .004", which works just fine), or a 1/4" NPT tap needs a 7/16" bit. Since the threads it cuts are tapered, becareful not to run the tap too deep. If the fitting bottoms out on the manifold before the threads tighten up, you may have leaking issues. When I was getting close to the depth I wanted, I would go 1/4 turn at a time, and retest the fitting until it was at the desired depth. You should be able to pick up a drill bits and taps from just about anywhere, NAPA, Acklands, Sears, etc.

There is a boost bolt that Piers and a couple other places sell that allows you to plumb your boost line into. Check to see if Diesel Manor stocks them, as it would be a good time to ship them with the gauge pack you're buying. I just drilled and tapped my air horn (pics in my gallery), and saved some money and time.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM

hey tate, would you mind explaining to me how you did that? and in your gallery you said that that was for the boost guage?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel manor should be able to hook you up with a boost "bolt", it replaces on of the bolds that hold down your injection line near the valve cover, nice and clean. Take a bolt out, replace it with the fillting, hook up boost tube, done.

DON'T OVER TIGHTEN YOUR FITTINGS.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 PM

With the air horn still on the truck, I just found a place where the boost sensor would fit without being in the way of anything. Marked it with a sharpie, and pulled it off the truck. Then just drill and tap. Can't even see it when its installed on the truck.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Diesel manor should be able to hook you up with a boost "bolt", it replaces on of the bolds that hold down your injection line near the valve cover, nice and clean. Take a bolt out, replace it with the fillting, hook up boost tube, done.

DON'T OVER TIGHTEN YOUR FITTINGS.
thanks for the advice, i'm thinking about ordering by phone so i can talk to someone and make sure i get eveything i need. what ya'll think about that?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:21 PM

ok, another question, if i get the boost bolt, i found it by the way, is that all that i will need to install the boost guage?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 PM

when i ordered form dieselmanor, i put down the wrong size bit and tap. a guy from there called me a couple hours later and told me of my mistake and fixed it for me. THATs customer service! the kit was complete with everything, including the boost bolt.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
when i ordered form dieselmanor, i put down the wrong size bit and tap. a guy from there called me a couple hours later and told me of my mistake and fixed it for me. THATs customer service! the kit was complete with everything, including the boost bolt.
that's awesome. i have heard that they do indeed have great customer service there, that and the kit together really made me wanna order from there. so your sayin that the kit does indeed come complete with EVERYTHING necessary to install it the day it arrives?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 PM

yup, it even came with tie wraps and different sized wire taps. i was impressed. and im typically a pretty surly kinda guy
Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned

ill agree w/ everything youll have said about dieselmanor. they have great customer service and will explain in detail whatever you have to ask. i will definately do business with them again. also as mentioned, their kits are complete and i recommend getting the bit and tap as i had a hard time finding the npt at local stores. just my .02

brett
Old 09-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by bretteaton
ill agree w/ everything youll have said about dieselmanor. they have great customer service and will explain in detail whatever you have to ask. i will definately do business with them again. also as mentioned, their kits are complete and i recommend getting the bit and tap as i had a hard time finding the npt at local stores. just my .02

brett
thank you for the advice, i will most likely get the tap. did you get the bit too?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 PM

In Diesel Manor website they tell you how big of a drill bit and tap you need depending on which kit you buy.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 PM

my overall impression of the deal is that its was a great kit.

i bought it, and it came with just about everything i needed to install.

some things that i wish had been clearer, were on the wiring. i spent the most amount of time deciding where to tap into the wiring for dash lights, and for the power for the gauges.

other than that, it took a bit of time to decide where i was going to read my tranny temp from. i ended up using compression fittings on the line going out of the TC (see RATTLIN RAM).

other than that, everything else was a snap. picked up my tap for the pyro at true value hardware for like 7 bucks... and went to a local hose and fittings store to get a brass fitting for the pressure port next to the map sensor for about 8 bucks.

overall really happy!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM

The method for hooking up the boost guage w/o the boost bolt or drilling/tapping involves removing a plug from the block behind the intake pleneum and using two reducer bushings to get to the proper size. I'd have to search for the sizes, but it looks like you've got a boost bolt so I'll just let that one slide

Quick Reply: Some ?s about Diesel Manor's Guage Kit B4 I Buy.