Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Some help needed (sorry, long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some help needed (sorry, long)

In December, I put some Jammer 3 injectors in my 98.5. It ran much better, but not ultra noticable. The biggest change I noticed was above about 28psi boost, it had more pull (fuel) and of course the EGT went up higher. I also got a noticeable stumble at idle.

A few weeks later, I installed a Diablo Powerpuck, and then the power came on like I expected. Around 1500 RPM, the power was awesome, so awesome, my clutch slipped anytime I gave it some roll-on throttle. No problem, just drove around the slippage.

The most noticeable thing with this combo was the engine sounded like it was in a better state of tune, very crisp, and on the freeway, sounded (and acted) like it was ready to pull just about any load.

A week or two after the Diablo went in, my VP44 died. What a bummer that was. Anyway, I got a replacement VP44 and lift pump from MWFI, and installed it. Started the truck up without the Diablo, and test drove.

The truck of course felt good, just like before with only Jammer 3's, but alot smoother, and no idle stumble at all.

Okay, hooked up the Diablo Powerpuck, and for 1 week had the same truck as before, the clutch slipping powerhouse.

Then all of a sudden, the power died off. The only way I can describe it is I lost timing. It seems I am getting alot of fuel (too much, the truck smokes alot now), but the smoke I am trying to convince myself is due to how **** hot it is here in Nevada. The engine does not feel "in tune" anymore. Kind of a dog actually. It just sounds "off". It runs fine, does its job, but is nowhere near what it was when the Jammers and Diablo first went on.

My clutch is happy about all of this, but I am kind of bummed.

No, I have not tried driving it with the Diablo removed again. It was only 3 weeks old when all this happened.

Does anyone think the new MWFI VP-44 has some upgraded electronics thet does not jive with the Diablo??

The engine had 89,000 miles when the VP died, now has 92,000. It has been 3000 miles of somewhat lackluster pwerformance.

Thanks, sorry so long.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, disregard.

Removed the Power puck and truck drives 100% better. No weird bogging and bucking at low speeds. Feels like a nice running stock truck again.

Sending the powerpuck back to Diablo and see what they say.