Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Solved my fuel press problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:31 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solved my fuel press problems

I installed Wildcat Diesels black kit. Used to pull my fuel press. to 0psi on setting 5 on my PM3, even with hi flow banjos. Now it runs at 7-8 on setting 9. I am using a new stock lift pump and the fittings and hoses from the kit. The factory line between the pump and filter was only about 1/8" i.d. I feel this is the real choke point in the original system. All my hoses are now 1/2" i.d. Now I need to work on my egts, hopefully my Scotty 2 comes in soon. Tim
Old 12-12-2002, 01:04 PM
Banned

Re:Solved my fuel press problems

Good to hear. I ordered the Black kit from Rod as well except I'm replacing the stock pump with a Holley Black and keeping the stock pump as a back up. How hard was it to change it all? How long did it take? Any special tools needed? Any tips? I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I have been underneath the truck many a times looking at the pump. I've replaced all the Banjo bolts. How did you get to the pump? Did you remove the filter housing? Thanks. Good to hear you got some good pressure. I can pull mine down to 5 with the comp on 3x3.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:28 PM
DTR Advertiser

Bigblue, it took an hour or two. I did it all from the top w/ a 3 step ladder. I left the filter on and just reached down from the top on some and below the master cylinder on others. The kit comes with larger banjo fittings and threaded hose barbs, I sealed all the threaded pipe fittings with teflon paste. Only tip I can tell you is assemble the hose,clamp and fitting together prior to putting on the filter outlet[ hard to get to after its installed], and position the clamps so you have access to check the torque on them after a cople days. It is really pretty simple and works great. Tim p.s. post your pressures after you install the black pump.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:44 PM

Now I'm interested. I didn't realize the kit worked with the factory lift pump. The results sound impressive. Does the kit replace all 5 of the banjo locations?<br><br>Rod if you read this, how about some details on the kit. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 PM
DTR Advertiser

The kit comes with 3 large banjo fittings and 5 threaded hose barbs,plus the hose and clamps. I bought 1 12.5mm to 3/8 pipe hyd. fitting, to use the factory pump but Rod said that fitting should of come w/ the kit. My supply to the pump did not change but if you use the black pump it changes from a banjo to a hose barb with 3/8&quot; pipe threads. If you get in a bind on installation pm me and I will tell you how I did it. Tim
Old 12-12-2002, 04:14 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Paul Guthrie link=board=7;threadid=8233;start=0#79498 date=1039722268]<br>Rod if you read this, how about some details on the kit. <br>[/quote]<br><br>There really isn't a heckuva lot to add to what Tim wrote (thanks Tim!). The kit is a universal fit (98.5 - 2002), with do-it-yourself cut-to-fit 1/2&quot; ID Gates 300 PSI line. We've also thrown in a bracket to adapt the Holley Black to the stock lift pump mount, and with recent customer feedback, we'll be shipping the kits with a wiring adapter to plug into the stock plug-in as well as the 12.5 3/8&quot; nipple to allow use of the factory lift pump. We'll also be shipping them with a length (2.5 ft) of 3/8&quot; ID Gates hose to run from the Black pump to the steel fuel tank supply line. The banjo fittings are custom machined, 3/8&quot; ID shanks with large reservoirs. If you've got high flow banjo bolts, you'll be able to use them with this rigging. If you don't, we recommend three high flow bolts (when used with the Black pump) or four high flow bolts (when used with the stock lift pump).<br><br>Rod
Old 12-12-2002, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to speak bad of Wildcat Diesel, but I wouldn't mount the new fuel pump in the location of the stock pump. It is a widely known fact that electric fuel pumps would rather push fuel than pull it, hence every street/strip car you've ever seen probably had the electric fuel pump hanging just below the rear bumper or close to it. Every one I have seen has been like that. Notice every fuel injected vehicle out there either has the fuel pump in the tank or mounted within 2 feet of the tank.<br>I'm going to guess that Wildcat is trying to make the switch as simple as possible, which this is. I just hope they are warning the customers about the tendencies of electric fuel pumps. Kind of CYA.<br>I expect the switchover for my Holley Blue pump to take several hours due to the mounting of the fuel pump near the tank, the running of the new fuel line, and wiring.<br><br>Chris

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2002, 07:47 AM

Chris,<br>I have to agree with you on the mounting location for the pump. My 815/Black is mounted back @ the tank and has been there for about 20 months. I put the Black on before it was fashionable to do so. <br><br>Dean
Old 12-13-2002, 08:04 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Stamey link=board=7;threadid=8233;start=0#79746 date=1039755094]
I'm going to guess that Wildcat is trying to make the switch as simple as possible, which this is. I just hope they are warning the customers about the tendencies of electric fuel pumps. Kind of CYA.[/quote]

Yep, we were trying to accomplish simple (we're not that bright around here ;D ), but we did have some other reasons for keeping the lift pump in its stock location:

1) Pusher pumps mounted on the frame rail tend to take some abuse from rocks, rain, and snow. Especially in our frozen north climate, where many of us go prowling through deep snow for kicks. I had visions of fuel lines being tore off, rubber line degrading, and a pump/line survivability factor of nil back there, unless we built some kind of skid plate or protection mechanism for it.

2) Thanks to my local Chrysler dealer letting me dig through their failed lift pumps, we discovered about 70% of the failures were due to a messed up internal bypass in the pump. This is on a sample of about 30 (some that I inspected, some that the diesel mech inspected a couple weeks later). So after a call to Carter, and an independent pump manufacturer, it was decided that while pulling from the tank is indeed hard on the pumps, it wasn't causing the bypass to fail. The common consensus seemed to point to excessive back pressure caused by line restriction created an operating environment in which the bypass operated more than design (or build quality) intended/allowed it to.

So we decided that mounting in the stock location, while not a perfect solution, was better than the option of mounting on the frame rail. Personally, I'd rather see a good in-tank pump with a good regulator on the truck, and when one becomes available, we'll be one of the first to try it, but so far the Holley appears to be giving decent service. We've got a couple Holleys at 80,000 miles right now (one running stock lines, the other with larger lines), and still going strong. We've got another 5 or 6 trucks at 40,000 miles. Not exactly a massive test (it would take years to compile big numbers, which we just didn't have), but one which we are fairly comfortable with.

And yep, I make sure the customers are aware of the situation before they shell out their money ;D

Rod
Old 12-15-2002, 11:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Push Rod,<br>Since you mentioned it, what about the in-tank fuel pump? I'll just throw this out there.<br>Don't the gassers use an in-tank pump? Most do. If that is the case, I wonder if the notoriously cheap DC used a different fuel tank for the gassers than the diesels. If not, then maybe, just maybe, if the Cummins can deal with the higher pressure, the in-tank could be substituted. I'm sure there would be issues with putting high pressure clamps or special hose fittings on the lines, eliminating the stock lift pump, and running the lift pump wiring back to the in-tank pump. I'd think the gauge would be the same too.<br>Now, if this conversion is feasible, and the cost/time would not be prohibitive vs. using an aftermarket pump....<br><br>Has anyone ever tried this?<br><br>Chris
Old 12-16-2002, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gassers do have an in-tank fuel pump. I know, because I had to have mine replaced on my 98 1500. Between that and the infamous belly-pan gasket, the extended warranty paid for itself.<br>