Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Softest shock out there?(Trailmaster, Bilstein, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Softest shock out there?(Trailmaster, Bilstein, etc)

Ok,

Ordered the D25 coils.

I'm thinkin, since I'm in there, I should put in a set of front shocks.

Although, if I can't make up my mind, I might not.

But what would everyone consider the best riding shocks?

This thing is absolutely stiff as hell and I'm sure the D25 isn't going to help.

My last truck was an 04 GMC 1/2 ton, which rode like a Cadillac compared to this thing.

What shocks are considered the softest.

I'm kinda thinkin Trailmaster SSVs. My buddy had these on a 97 Chevy 1/2 ton with 6" lift and I remember that thing riding pretty good.

I had a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I put RS5000 Ranchos on and those were absolutely awful.

I can get SSVs for $51 a piece. Book only says 94-99, but every other company says all 94-02 2500 HDs use the same shock, so I think that is a misprint.

Work at an auto parts store, so have good access to stuff.

Can get Rancho, Superlift, KYB, Edlebrock, Pro Comp, and Monroe.

I would actually rather get Monroe Reflex or Sensa Trac shocks, but I think I would want longer ones for the lift. They don't offer lifted applications though, so unless I start digging through shocks, not sure if I will find longer ones.

Opinions?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:56 AM

Here's an opinion....so take it for what it's worth....

Cancel the order for the D25's....call Coil Spring Specialties and order a set of 2.5" coils...CORed did 10 or 15% softer than stock and backed them up with Bilstein 5100's. He loves it. Do a search for his posts, there's a lot of info there.

CSS custom coils are only $40-50 more than the D25's, and the difference in ride quality and durability is like night and day. The Bilsteins are about $70-80 each.

The springs will make a bigger difference in ride quality than trying to find a "softer" shock. Out of the shocks you listed in your post, KYB is probably the best of the bunch, it's a monotube shock like the Bilstein.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ditto Cowhand's post. I have the D25s. Save your money and get some real springs.

Also, you don't want to super "soft" shock, because if it doesn't have the right amount of rebound damping, it can ride even rougher than stock! Shocks have to be MATCHED to the springs. It's not an issues of stiffer or softer-- it's right or not right.

IMO, most shocks for these trucks need way more rebound damping because of the stiff springs, and a lot less compression damping.

JMO
Old 07-14-2005, 04:51 PM

You don't want Trailmaster SSV they can not handle the weight of the frontend, mine rode great for about 3000miles and then they were wore out.