Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

so...stock turbo + 10.8 drag comp = not too fun

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kas83
You're comparing two different sized turbine wheels, a Phatshaft has a 65 mm wheels, while the Super Phatshaft has a 71 mm. The 71 is much better for flow, and will allow for more power with the smaller compressor.

On a side note, a Silver 62 is capable of power equal to a Phatshaft 66. The 74 mm wheel in the Silver allows it to flow extremely well. The smaller turbine wheels are a bottle neck, and cause the drive pressure and EGT's to go up exponentially. The turbine side is what causes the restriction, not compressor size.

so you're saying a silver 62 would be a good choice? I was looking at them some last night, the website isn't too descriptive, but they sure do sound nice, I can't afford twins atm, I'd have to save up for a few more months, and with the egts being so high when I get on it I want to do this soon, did a non boosted launch on the way home today by the time it shifted into 3rd gear it was already at 1400* and climbing fast
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oaborbag
so you're saying a silver 62 would be a good choice? I was looking at them some last night, the website isn't too descriptive, but they sure do sound nice, I can't afford twins atm, I'd have to save up for a few more months, and with the egts being so high when I get on it I want to do this soon, did a non boosted launch on the way home today by the time it shifted into 3rd gear it was already at 1400* and climbing fast
I can't say for sure what would be your best bet. All I know is that a large turbine/small compressor such as the Silver 62 is very capable of big power and cooling it. The larger mass of the 74 mm wheel will cause to spool slightly slower, but the smaller compressor should help offset that. I've only had experience with my B-1 and two 66 mm class chargers. After talking with a buddy last night and today about my truck and plans, I might be looking at the Silver 62 instead of a Pro Street 66. All depends on where I go from here with power/mods and so forth.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by kas83
I can't say for sure what would be your best bet. All I know is that a large turbine/small compressor such as the Silver 62 is very capable of big power and cooling it. The larger mass of the 74 mm wheel will cause to spool slightly slower, but the smaller compressor should help offset that. I've only had experience with my B-1 and two 66 mm class chargers. After talking with a buddy last night and today about my truck and plans, I might be looking at the Silver 62 instead of a Pro Street 66. All depends on where I go from here with power/mods and so forth.
Alright thanks, I'll have to do a little more research see if I can find some peoples opinions that have used a silver 62 and an sps 64 which isn't listed on the site until you go to purchase, then there is an option there for it.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:43 AM

Dodgediesel did 570 with a HTT 62/71 with the stainless housing. The HTT's used to be cheaper than the II turbos until the stainless came out, but you may be able to find a good deal on them yet.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you only want 500 RWHP save yourself some money and get some thing along the lines of a 62/65 in 12 or 14. A turbo along these lines will easily support 500. If your not going to tow and dont mind a little bit higher cruise EGT's then go with a 14. It will cool better at WOT. There is absolutely NO reason to spend money on a turbo you dont need. Also HTT and II are not the only makers of turbos. There are companys out there that will build a turbo to your specs for less then most companys charge for an off the shelf.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:35 AM

from my experience id say if you are not going to be towing, go with a 14-71 turbo. with a 65 mm wheel they spool to 10lbs of boost quicker but are slower and hotter after that. with a 71mm wheel they are just noticeably slower to spool but when they do they spool hard and fast and keep the egts alot cooler.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 PM

after talking to someone from II I think I've decided on a sps64, will probably support 550 hp, thats ideally the numbers I'm looking for, not sure if I can get it with what I have, and going to just hope the HG lasts, if not I'll fix that and be worry free when it does happen.

But thanks for the good input so far, I Have learned a lot about turbos for our truck from this thread alone and talking to one of II's members, and since I don't tow the sps64 sounds like a good choice to me, not too big, and will put out more than 500 hp, hopefully