Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

So I'm thinking about robbing the DVs outa this 8.3 sittin in the corner

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logskidder
I'm not sure about the Ag pump, but the automotive 8.3 250 hp #837 have the same shaft size. #100 plate, 3000 gsk, big injectors HX35/40 HT3B If you have a buddy that can do some minor machine work and another that is a bus or a garbage truck mechanic, you can make some ripsnort'en HP for very little investment. Make **** sure the oil pressure and return is the same as the pump you replaced. One more thing,you have to use your head when you put this thing together and start to tune it.
Oh I plan on bulletproofing my 47RH long before I do anything. I'm just gonna be accumulating parts and pieces for this monster through my connections and start piecing things together so when I'm ready I should be able to install all my goodies in a weekend or so.

As far as using my head while doing this; we've put together 550hp 340cid mopars and had em last 4 seasons without major failure, even turning 8,000rpm regularly. We also do alot of tractor pulling locally and we are certified diesel mechanics (by we I mean my father and I BTW).

Also, thanks for all the input guys; it's nice to have a few other well-educated heads in on such a project...
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New brainstorm

Well I was messin around the shop the other day and we have a Robert-Bosch pump sitting on the floor all tore apart that came off of an IH 1566 (DT436 [same as DT466])... Much to my surprise when I started playing with it is that it has about 10* mechanical advance on it. So it was no wonder the ol' IH diesels with that pump had a good torque rise/power bulge. The pump had a timing curve that matched the engine rpm curve....

So what I am thinking is that I will have to make my own front cover (in machine and tool class at school) and have a set of lines fab'ed to fit. Since I will have the front cover off and have access to everything I'm gonna have Bullet Racings NTPA guy grind me a cam and slap it in there. Tweak the pump and set the base timing at about 15* for decent cold weather starting and throw an HX40 up top on an ATS 3-piece for the time being.

Also, since the beast will be down for a few days I figure I'll have a local shop O-ring the head and mill off the intake plenum so that I can throw a ZZ Fabrication's aluminum high flow on there after having the ports worked over thoroughly. I would also invert the plenum so I could make my own intake to come in from underneath to eliminate the extra bends of the current up and over design. Or making my own plenum that comes in from the side... Either way I want to eliminate the air horn setup as I don't like all the extra bends and the way the air is distributed into the plenum.