Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

So I'm thinking about robbing the DVs outa this 8.3 sittin in the corner

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm thinking about robbing the DVs outa this 8.3 sittin in the corner

So, I know where there's a dead 230hp 8.3 sittin around and I am tempted to go rob the DVs out of it or even put the whole pump on and just change out the Ag governor for the min/max automotive one... Or heck, even leave it with the Ag set-up and tweak the idle snubber to get a mild surge at idle (I personally think that sounds cool). The thing I am worried about is that my truck is stock except for the little bit of tweaking I have done. I know the 47RE is a real weak spot and at least needs a shift kit and a way better TC (stock one blows [sometimes literally]).

So, before I do any of this I would like some input on who's TC I should look into; I hear Goerend Bros have quality products and that you can find their single disk billets for about $600? Also, what kind of line pressures should I tune the shift kit to run? 135? 140? What can I safely get away with on stock seals? Also, is there any way to beef up the OD; I know that this is another serious weak spot on these trans when towing. I plan on doing the majority of the hauling for our Ag repair business and some of those tractors weigh well over 15,000. Not to mention the homemade trailer I'll be using weighs over 5k on it's own (made it out of an old mobile home: 8.5'W x 30'L 7' reach on the gooseneck). Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM

i love my goerend parts, with the
100K mile warranty on the T/C was 1200 i think? it's a triple disk also. If you're wanting to risk it, i think he sells the triple disk with no warranty for about a grand.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bigwhite59
i love my goerend parts, with the
100K mile warranty on the T/C was 1200 i think? it's a triple disk also. If you're wanting to risk it, i think he sells the triple disk with no warranty for about a grand.
I heard somewhere that they had a single disk lock-up for somewhere around $600....
Old 01-09-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
I heard somewhere that they had a single disk lock-up for somewhere around $600....
i think dave has a single for $600.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfan
i think dave has a single for $600.
My question is will it stand up to the riggors of towing? I have access to shift kits and can bench tune the line pressures; I would like to know what kind of pressures I can run safely. I know that stock is somewhere around 130psi I was thinking about 145 or so to keep the stock seals safe, maybe 150?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM

i wasn't interested in looking at a single disk, so i can't help ya on that one buddy. I do know that dave is extremely helpful, he'd probably be willing to give ya some advice if you shot him an email.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigwhite59
i wasn't interested in looking at a single disk, so i can't help ya on that one buddy. I do know that dave is extremely helpful, he'd probably be willing to give ya some advice if you shot him an email.
Where do I find Dave's contact information?

Trending Topics

Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM

CKT PM sent!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM

I had a Goerend single and could slip it some in OD when I was empty. It had a great stall speed, but I could slip the lockup clutch. My new Goerend triple is awesome. I think Most aftermarket valve bodies run about 180psi. I know I really like my combo. If you are going to be hauling like that then you need to go ahead and invest in a TC and full Valve Body. Thats a LOT of strain on stuff. I had a transgo shift kit with the single disc. Actually I think the single disc would of held fine, even hauling if I had a full valve Body with it instead of the transgo, but if you are hauling a lot I would reccomend the triple. His single disc is $650 and comes with a 100k mile warranty. He also sells 2 different triple's... One with a 100k mile warranty for $1050, and a lifetime warrantied for $1200. Call Dave and talk to him. He will set you straight on what you need. Tell him what you are doing with the truck, and he will price you a combo.

Eric
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 AM

dv

i happen to have an 8.3. took one dv out. didnt look like it would fit our 5.9. oiling is diff. on the 8.3. will require some machine work i have heard.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jughead
i happen to have an 8.3. took one dv out. didnt look like it would fit our 5.9. oiling is diff. on the 8.3. will require some machine work i have heard.
I was actually gonna take the whole pump since the cam profile in the Ag pump is more aggressive. I know the input shafts are different, but that's an easy swap.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:10 PM

wow cant wait to see how that thing runs watch out sled pulls
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins Freak
wow cant wait to see how that thing runs watch out sled pulls
Exactly... As though my tractors don't dominate enough as is, now I'm gonna have a truck out there that will womp all the gassers in the 6300# class
Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
I was actually gonna take the whole pump since the cam profile in the Ag pump is more aggressive. I know the input shafts are different, but that's an easy swap.
I'm not sure about the Ag pump, but the automotive 8.3 250 hp #837 have the same shaft size. #100 plate, 3000 gsk, big injectors HX35/40 HT3B If you have a buddy that can do some minor machine work and another that is a bus or a garbage truck mechanic, you can make some ripsnort'en HP for very little investment. Make **** sure the oil pressure and return is the same as the pump you replaced. One more thing,you have to use your head when you put this thing together and start to tune it.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:47 PM

gbtransmissions.com he should have his contact info on there.

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking about robbing the DVs outa this 8.3 sittin in the corner