Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

So...Can I change turbo wheel & housing myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So...Can I change turbo wheel & housing myself?

OK, here was my (brilliant ) idea....was going to order the HTT kit (stage 3) and change the compressor wheel and housing on my HX-35 to make her a Hybrid...Can a simple (that's what my wife sez ), mechanically inclined person attempt this job??? If so, what do i need to do. Remember, I don't race, just like the extra power and the only reason I want to "Hybrid' the ole turbo is to help w/ quicker spool-up during start-up so the EGT's don't jump so darn quick. I never run high RPM's or top-end so I am hoping this will do the trick (plus I can get the kit for $198 )
Old 08-03-2005, 02:10 PM

I think the Hx35s gotta be machened or somethin. I got the stage 3 for mine and it wsa a bolt up but i dont think the 35 kit is
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the compressor housing requires some machining before the larger wheel can be installed.....I don't know how involved the machining is. I am also interested in going this route on my 98.5 as it appears to be a cost-effective way to move a bit more air.....I would like to run a Mach 2 or slightly larger injector and I am hoping to have a managable 400 hp for towing and daily driving. But it appears that we may be better off buying the completed stage 3 hybrid because if you factor in machining, stepping up to a gated 14cm housing and the cost of the kit, it could be similar in cost to doing it yourself......who knows?......a call to HTT might be helpful.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 PM

i think with the "kit" (wheel and housing), there really isn't much to it. you could maybe even do it on the truck?. i don't know what kind of backing plate the 35 has though. that should be the only thing that has to be machined if you get the kit. the backing plate job is super easy. takes less than five minutes on a lathe. just have to make an already existing feature a little bit bigger. if you don't have access to a lathe, any machine shop should be able to do it for you real cheap. like i say though, i don't know how it works with the 35. on my h1c, the plate is just held on with four little bolts.

dave

ps. don't expect quicker spool. it will be just a little slower on the very low end, and then rocket up.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Here's the deal on HTT's stage 3 kit: The center section of the turbo needs to have a little machining done to it for the pinwheel to fit. There is a small counterbore behind the pinwheel that needs a larger diameter (about 1/8" larger is plenty). If you have a machinist friend that can turn the center section, then it's a piece of cake and cheap too. The lathe needs to be a pretty big one that can mount allows the flange to be mounted in which is say 6", maybe more. As for spool, it's at least as fast as stock if not quicker. I have mine set to 45psi and have had it there for about 2 years now without any problems. EGTs stay in control (under 1200) with my fueling level.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Yes you can do it yourself. With the kit you get the new housing. Pull the turbo off. Take intake compressor off, I think its 9/16s on the front and 13/16s 12 point on the rear but the nut is reverse thread so pull the nut off the front and the switch the wheels and housings and your good too go.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Banned

When you reassemble the shaft. You are supposed to torque it to 120 inch pounds. MAKE SURE YOUR TORQUE WRENCH WORKS ON LEFT HAND THREADS. My clicker didnt work on leftys and you can guess what happened.