Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Snow Plow...Front End Sag??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow Plow...Front End Sag??

So I put on a Western 8-5' Pro-plow with extension on my 02. Use it for my driveway on my acreage and to help some of the neighbors out.
With this plow, I am assuming I just added close to 1000lbs to the front end. Running 750lbs balast in the box. When I put the plow on, the front end has quite a bit of sag...anybody have any suggestions to help the front end? Save my suspension?

Also noticed that when running around the truck runs hot, EGTs and Tranny. Any advice?

New to the (BIG) snow plow game any advice would help?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

When I was mucking around with spring rates on my truck...I found that you could order a a snowplow front spring option when new...There are about 15 different spring rates that could be ordered...Check to see if you still have a tag on your spring and if you do,you could go to the dealer and pull up that spring rate...Looks like you need way heavy springs up front...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
kelderman air bags

http://kelderman.com/old/standard/tr...oduct=94DDGFRT
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Those airbags are slick...Sure would like to have something like that in my truck...Dam... they are not the cheapest things..
Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not cheap at all! I looked at some but way too much $$$ to justify putting in a 1st gen.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
You can/should upgrade to at least the stock HD front springs. Daves Dodge Page used to have a factory spring rate chart. IIRC you'll want 048's. Mine is the HD Camper/plow/tow package and that is what it has.

Oh yeah, and get that pic of my old lady off your avatar!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can buy timbren load boosters, or upgrade your springs to something heavier, I carry an 810 blizzard with mods to it which weighs in around #1000 and i get very little sag. not counting the sidewing plow and #3000 of salt in the v box spreader, my 99's suspension does not like me.. I looked the other day and i was about 1/4 inch from the bump stops hitting.. I am putting timbrens on the rear too. I did not like the sway with airbags on my chevy.. dont feel like your in control of the ride with them things. but they do work.. Just dont tell DOT my 2500 weighs in at #12,500 fully loaded in its winter battle gear.....
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
You can/should upgrade to at least the stock HD front springs. Daves Dodge Page used to have a factory spring rate chart. IIRC you'll want 048's. Mine is the HD Camper/plow/tow package and that is what it has.

Oh yeah, and get that pic of my old lady off your avatar!
Any idea where I can reseach "IIRC you'll want 048's" on line? or spring loads for that matter? oh!! my avatar...she is a sweetie..lol

Originally Posted by snowjoker
You can buy timbren load boosters, or upgrade your springs to something heavier, I carry an 810 blizzard with mods to it which weighs in around #1000 and i get very little sag. not counting the sidewing plow and #3000 of salt in the v box spreader, my 99's suspension does not like me.. I looked the other day and i was about 1/4 inch from the bump stops hitting.. I am putting timbrens on the rear too. I did not like the sway with airbags on my chevy.. dont feel like your in control of the ride with them things. but they do work.. Just dont tell DOT my 2500 weighs in at #12,500 fully loaded in its winter battle gear.....
I was told that if your suspension was a lil tired then the timbren dont really work. Know of any truth with that?

Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM

I got the spring info of dodgeram.org when I got my truck but the page hasn't been updated in quite a while. Its a link on the Geno's garage page.

My front springs are 048 drivers and 039 passenger. This is from the factory with the snowplow/camper hd spring package. Mine is still pretty stiff after 10 years and 117K miles. However, I have never had a plow on my truck, just trying to steer you in the right direction.

PS I think I saw your gal on the Brantley Gilbert Girls of the South video....worth watching for sure.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
www.lorenzindustries.com offers a 23% stiffer coil designed for snowplow/heavy winch bumper applications. It will yield about a 2" lift.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by shlen
Any idea where I can reseach "IIRC you'll want 048's" on line? or spring loads for that matter? oh!! my avatar...she is a sweetie..lol

I was told that if your suspension was a lil tired then the timbren dont really work. Know of any truth with that?

Thanks guys
That is a true statement.. well they do work because they are super hard rubber, and if your suspension is wore out they will basically stop suspension travel.. They give excellent customer service too since they are lifetime guaranteed. I know the suspension on my truck isnt tired yet, but at the rate i keep overloading it the tireness is imminent thats why im putting timbrens on the rear, since they make kits for both front and rears..
Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
PS I think I saw your gal on the Brantley Gilbert Girls of the South video....worth watching for sure.
Sometimes she gets around
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM

First off, it's a Dang shame ya put a plow on it. Lord knows I can't wait for the day when my truck doesn't have to suffer the wrath of plowing.

Secondly, you are seeing higher temps because your basically running a huge air Dam up front. I know it doesn't seem like it'd make much dif with your plow 3 feet in front of your grill, but it for sure does. Everything on my truck runs hotter when the plow is on. I have a 9 foot 2 boss v blade, its only worse with a straight blade. Just go a little easier when the plow is on, watch your temps to make sure they aren't too high and you'll be ok, it's normal.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
www.lorenzindustries.com offers a 23% stiffer coil designed for snowplow/heavy winch bumper applications. It will yield about a 2" lift.
These are pretty good. I looked at them before doing a 2" spacer on mine. I didn't plan on a plow and didn't need it any stiffer so I just went with spacers.

We didn't put a plow on dad's truck for the reasons stated by others regarding wear. Fortunately, he found a blower for his tractor that was cheaper than a BOSS and he uses that for his road.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Danderson: Thanks for the link. Ordered and installed a pair of the 23% stiffers with new longer fox shocks. Front end sits beautifully (2inches) now.

Last edited by shlen; 02-23-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Cuz I can