Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smoke???where did it go???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smoke???where did it go???

well i had lots of smoke after the new injectors/head studs and gasket/single stack 2 months ago.lets just say it would smoke like crazy with just a medium pedal step, i really had to baby it or just drive in 2-2 or 3-2 on the comp.and if i really got on it wot it was like night behind me. now its "some" black smoke at 4-4 wot but NOTHING like it use to be. and seems like i get more grey smoke under wot.what gives? poss a bad map ? would it be bad if i just left it unplugged PERMANENTLY? wouldnt i loose the adj. of the comp fueling levels? and without the super chip now would it defuel? could this possibly be linked to my "tranny blues" thread issues?

please help i am exhausted trying to figure this out i have spent countless hours in the garage for the past 2-3 months and i just cant get it!there is no local diesel shop i will trust to go diggin in my tranny and engine comp with the amt of $$$ spent i cant get myself to trust anyone in my area.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colder ambient tempatures, i am guessing that your highs right now durning the day are probably in the 50s. The colder air is making your engine run more efficiently and buring all the fuel better. I bet when it is in the middle of the summer and hot and humid, she probably belows the smoke, i know this is the case with my truck. It runs alot better with the cooler outside temps
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Chapter President

Check you codes and get back to us. the gray smoke could be an indicator of a bad VP44. Hope not.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

ULSD?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scramblinman
ULSD?
That's what popped into my head just reading the title of the thread.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 AM

I'd say the first responder is correct. When winter comes and the temps drop and the air dries out, the smoke goes away and the truck runs better and makes more power.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

i can still chug the black coal with the smarty and HRVP44 even in these colder temps...but if i turn the TST on there is less smoke as it lights the turbo like lightning and clears the smoke up so fast. even tho my EGT's will zoom to 1600* in a flash now with the TST on level 9, there is no smoke, not even a gray haze at WOT and 42psi.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
i can still chug the black coal with the smarty and HRVP44 even in these colder temps...but if i turn the TST on there is less smoke as it lights the turbo like lightning and clears the smoke up so fast. even tho my EGT's will zoom to 1600* in a flash now with the TST on level 9, there is no smoke, not even a gray haze at WOT and 42psi.
I think Big Blue noted the same thing with the addition of his TST.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:12 AM

Colder weather gets my vote also!

When I had a big single turbo, I had to be very careful all summer, but could stop worrying about smoke below 75*. In you part of the country, seasonal temp changes are even more dramatic...have to make even bigger difference.

RJ
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 AM

I agree with the temp affect to. Whens its 80 or up my truck hazed at any throttle when driving, full throttle smoked like crazy. Now it lets a puff on pull out and clears up on part throttle, but over half throttle the haze is back. Now when its really in the mourning i have lots of blueish gray smoke for the first 20 minutes of drivin.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 PM

thanks everyone for all the info. i do think it is the temp. but most unfortunately the next morning after my post my flexplate decided it didnt want me to go to work and left me on the side of the road 1 mile from home.
arghhhhhhhhhhh . here we go again for the 4th time with trans. problems.

hmm tranny count : 1 2 3 ? could there be a 4th in the future??

anyone else ever have this happen with the flexplate just letting go? i wasnt even really steppin on it and everything just shut down. truck stalled and i had to roll over to the side of the road. shouldnt the truck still have been running?the plate literally is in 2 pieces. outer ring and inner ring. its like too much torque just twisted the center right out of the plate.

do you think the trans is ok? the fluid looks like new. maby the TC?but it still spinns freely right now. thanks in advance for any helpful info.