Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smoke switch install gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I unhooked all my taps and sealed the holes in the wires with liquid electrical tape. I started the truck and no boost reading on the monitor again. After scratching my head for a while I remembered that when I tested the trucks MAP plug I stuck the multimeter probes in the plug. It opened up the female end of map connections too far so that it wasn't making good contact with the male pins. Now I have boost readings, but the CEL came on and I have very little power especially in low rpms. I started and shut down the truck 10x the CEL went away and I have normal operation. Power and the module is reading boost. So the monitor definitely reads boost through the MAP sensor. I give up on the smoke switch! Wish I would have listened to Pete in the first place. Oh well live and learn. It must me time for new injectors then. I think I will try and locate a cheap set of used RV275 that someone has upgraded from.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 PM

lol, sounds like you've been through alot! I just sent you a PM back. I think the problem was you spliced the edge wires and not the stock wires.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 PM

When I have done it with the edge EZ you use the edge wire that goes to the MAP and use the switch to connect the 2 together ( not brake the circuit) to fool it into thinking you are at full boost. Should be no diff to fool the Attitude.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Well I got the wires hooked up again without any CEL, on the edge harness (green wire), which should be the same as installing on the stock harness. No smoke and no increase in boost on the edge monitor.

So I changed to the other wire that goes to the edge computer (pink wire). I got an increase in boost on the monitor, some change in engine noise when I connect the wires, but no extra smoke?
Ideas?

Pete: Are these the same results you got?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:56 PM

I just unhooked mine to see if it would work before I went through all the trouble. I got a CEL and it ran like A$$
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 PM

I am still thinking the wires on the edge side is what is doing it to you. Mine is on the factory side and it works like a charm. It MIGHT be a sign that you have something else wrong (but I am just throwing random ideas out there)
Old 12-27-2007, 11:48 PM

I held the brake with the truck in drive, revved the motor attempting to make smoke and touched the wires together. Basically power braking. When I did this the rpm's got up to 2k plus and the boost read 20lbs. sometimes and 44lbs. others. I have the upper boost limit set at 40lbs. I also attempted the same thing at a slow roll with the truck in drive. I got more smoke without the wires connected with the juice on level 5. I also made my attempts on the different juice levels with no success.

I guess it could it be that since I was just touching the wires together manually that they didn't make a good enough or long enough connection. But I heard a difference in motor sound and saw the boost increase. How long after you press the switch should it take to see the smoke come out of the pipe?

When I test the wires with a voltmeter with the truck at idle one reads 1v the other reads 5v.