Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smoke switch install gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke switch install gone bad

I just tried to install the smoke switch on my 2001.5 ram with the edge juice with attitude installed. I located the 5 volt (orange) and .5v (grey) wires on the truck's MAP sensor wiring harness. Then I installed t-taps on these wires on the edge side of the harness. I then routed the wires into the cab and turned on the key. When I touched the wires together I got no jump in boost on my attitude monitor. I tried the other wire that goes into the edge computer (there are only 2 from the MAP sensor on my VP44 edge) probably the return, and same results. I did set off the check engine light when looking for the 5v and .5v wires by turning the key on with the MAP unplugged. I got the CE light to go away after a bunch of restarts. Now the edge monitor doesn't show any boost at all under any level or any load. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emerson
Old 12-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Now the check engine light has come back on
Old 12-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Ok it looks as if I had the switch hooked up incorrectly. I had it tapped on the green wire which goes form the edge computer to the ECM. I needed to tap the other wire that runs into the edge from the MAP sensor (pink). I tapped this wire instead of the green and the check engine light went away after a couple of restarts. But the edge monitor still won't read any boost with the switch wires connected or disconnected. The wires both have 5v when connected or disconnected? What is going on here? Shouldn't one of them read 0.5-5.0volts depending on load when they are disconnected. They read the same, 5.0volts, with the switch wires connected or disconnected. The CEL went away when I moved the tap off the green wire which goes to the ecm and reads 2.44volts.

Is the computer tripped now and in a default fueling mode? I sure haven't seen any black smoke yet.

Can anyone lend me some advice?
Old 12-22-2007, 06:12 PM

I want to get the smoke switch to work if I can, but I really need to get the computer reading boost correctly.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 PM

I dont think it will work on a juice, but not positive. I know I tried to just unplug the MAP on mine to see if it would work and it ran like crap and I got a CEL. Put it back on and the light went off and it ran fine. From what I understand it will work on the comps and drag comps though.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pinky-tan wire is the one that you want to switch. when I did it i cut the pink wire and ran tracers to a two pole toggle. All you need to do is interrupt the pink wires flow. Don't worry about the other wires or tapping them, just cut the pink and it should act the same as the sensor unplugged (aka cloud intersections)

and if your monitor reads boost from the MAP sensor, it will most likely not work when you have the smoke switch turned off (wires dissconected) because you won't be getting a reading because it is dissconnected. The point of the smoke switch is to basically be able to un plug or plug back in the MAP sensor on the fly from inside the truck. but with the switch on (wires connected) you should get a reading on your monitor as long as nothing else got screwed up.

The MIL will light up, at least it did on mine. It's reading an incorrect voltage (none) for the Map Sensor so it throws it.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit,
TNutcher
Old 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Cycle the key 3 times leaving it on the last time. What is the code youre reading?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 PM

With the wires tapped as stated above, and the switch end of the wires disconnected I still get no reading of boost on the attitude. This should be the same as before I tried to tap the wires at all, but I don't understand why the attitude won't read boost now? Did I mess something up? Are the green and pinky-tan wire supposed to show 5v @ idle?

The CEL went off, but the attitude still displays boost as 0. The juice must be wired entirely different from the comp and drag.

Once I get the monitor reading boost should I try and cut the pinky-tan wire and run wires to a switch that interrupts this signal. The switch I have right now is a toggle switch that needs constant pressure to activate. If I need the switch to interrupt the circuit instead of connect it will this type of switch work?

Thanks for your help
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM

to check it out put all the wires back together how they were before you tweeked on it and then simply unplug the MAP sensor. It should smoke like a train compared to how it usually is with it plugged in (providing edge is on). If it does this then try and put a switch interrupting the pink wire. Then you should be able to witch it on and off in the cab while driving. I think the code was like a MAP sensor voltage error.

Where does your monitor get it's boost reading from? if it's from the MAP sensor then having the wires interrupted will give it a zero reading
Old 12-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Isn't having the switch wires disconnected and open, essentially the same as before I started messing with it? Or can the holes in the wire coating or the open (disconnected) switch wires connected to the ttaps be causing the monitor to read 0 boost?

With the juice is the pinky-tan wire supposed to read 5v @ idle when not connected to the MAP's 5v wire?

I don't know exactly where the monitor gets it's boost reading from? Are the wires interrupted when tapped and the switch ends of the tapped wires are disconnected?

It has a pyrometer reading through the manifold that I tapped, but all the other data is read through the connection to the juice module. The module connections are: ground pump wire, fuel pressure sensor, posi-tap injection pump connector, Turbo timer connector, power cable, transmission temp sensor, data link connector, and MAP connectors.

I will give this a try in the morning when I have some light.
Would disconnecting the battery help? I haven't disconnected it.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Ok, couldn't wait went out tonight and checked all the connections, made sure the switch wires were disconnected. I got the monitor to read boost (0-3lbs) while in park in front of the garage. I don't know why it wasn't reading any before when I tested it, maybe colder conditions right now?

Is the pinky-tan wire supposed to read 5v when @ idle in the juice setup?

I hooked the ohm meter up to the switch I have and it makes the connection when pressed. I need a switch that will disconnect the connection when depressed and spring back to connected when not depressed.

Are you sure cutting the signal of the pinky-tan wire with a switch in this juice setup will cause the boost fooling (smoke switch) I desire just like those that have done it to the comp and drag? If so I will give it a try when I can locate the proper disconnect switch.
For now I have some wire repair to do... Thank god for liquid electrical tape.
Emerson
Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 PM

not sure on the voltage reading at idle with the juice. i suppose it could be getting the boost reading from the data link connection.

Yes cutting the pink wire is what I did on both my EZ then the COMP till i got injectors now no longer need it so I put the wires back together and used the switch for something else. It works.

All you need is a two pole toggle unless you want a push button switch, nearly any switch will work as you only need on and off. It will be backwards (on means connected and its stock - off means disconnected aka smoke switch is on) but just turn it upside down
TNutcher
Old 12-22-2007, 10:41 PM

I wish having the MAP sensor unplugged on the Adrenaline worked... I wouldn't mind a bit more smoke...
Old 12-22-2007, 11:54 PM

I am not 100% convinced that the juice is the same wiring as the comp and drag. I don't want to make anything worse.

Did you have any CEL problems with the pinky wire cut and a switch used?

I will try and find a push button style switch that disconnects when depressed.

I attached some pics of the MAP wiring harness that is used with the juice.
Attached Thumbnails Smoke switch install gone bad-143.jpg   Smoke switch install gone bad-product_variation-user_manual-142.jpg  
Old 12-23-2007, 07:13 AM

As I said in post #5 this WONT work on a juice w/att. Ive tried it more than once and did the research.

Quick Reply: Smoke switch install gone bad