Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smoke switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDowns
i ran wires to both outside wires on the map sensor harness on my edge juice with attitude on my 01 and wired a switch to it..then my check engine light came on..used a regular swith,no indicator light on it or anything..wanting to know what i did wrong..from what i read those are the wires i was supposed to tap into..
Most likely you did it on the wrong side of the MAP sensor.

What I tell people is to try and do it about 3 or 4" above the plug that actually goes into the MAP sensor. This makes sure you are "before" the box and the ECM never sees the max boost level and won't set a CEL.

On your truck this should be done only on the signal wire that comes out of the plug with the green seal on it.

I don't have a pinout in front of me for a 2001 but, I will post up which pin numbers to use. Where you get the 5v really does not matter, it is just easiest to do it all on the same side.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dinner
Quad, I read through that old post of yours.

Will jumping the wires or making a smoke switch help out with low rpm fueling on your current XZT+?
Not really, maybe a little bit but probably not worth it.

All of our latest modules are considerably more sophisticated than our older stuff and pretty much anything else out there. We look at rpm, throttle position, load, timing advance and boost. That just means that telling the box you are fully boosted will only possibly help a little bit.

It won't hurt to mess with it. If you do it will make the most difference on the XZT+_Beta1 tune as it weighs boost more heavily in our algorithm that any other tune.

Also, anyone with a Smoke Switch should not leave it on for long periods of time or you will get a 0236 code. So use it and turn it off once you have accelerated. It really only works from a low/no boost situation anyhow. If you already have 15psi using the switch will yield minimal results at best.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:26 PM

If you wire the switch wrong you will use so much fuel its not even funny and end up killing your pump, trust me.
I dont know what I did but I had it hooked up, it worked great but when I went to wire it to a switch I must have changed something. I used about 75 liters of fuel in about 100km, I didnt know stock injectors could possibly flow that much.
Good luck, dont make the mistake I did!!!!

P.S. I still have mine wired up, but properly this time.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 AM

so on the plug that plungs into the MAP sensor..from the edge box.. the three wires which wire do i tap into? then on the trucks map plug coming from the original harness which wire do i connect to a swtich?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 AM

here ya go if you havent already seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRPipmo8sU