Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smoke switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke switch

I have seen a few boxes for sale in the classifieds with "smoke switches" and Im wondering if I can put one on my EZ. I think you just run the MAP sensor on a switch but im not sure. Anyone else know or have any ideas?

Thanks, Matt
Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You are right. Look here.
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRPipmo8sU
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=calYlhUf9GE
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 PM

Just curious, does this switch work on any sort of module? And does it add power since the ECM isn't reading boost so it should be dumping more fuel in?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM

i seem to loose power with the smoke switch. not alot though. but it does smoke alot more.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel without air, is just smoke. You will loose some power by choking out the flames with huge amounts of fuel.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM

why would you want more smoke.. it doesnt necessarily = more horespower + if you use it on the street your just gonna make diesel enthusiasts look bad
Old 01-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Fuel without air, is just smoke. You will loose some power by choking out the flames with huge amounts of fuel.
Yea, I got thinking afterwords without air/some sort of boost in there, the added fuel won't do anything

Trending Topics

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Chapter President

When you have a P pump, its too easy to do the same thing with pump settings and get all on the fuel too early.. All you get is alot of smoke and no go. Been there.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM

is it neccesary to have a box for this switch or can it be done without one? im in the process of finding some warm weather to slide the plate and stuff on my 97. but i like smoke i would just like to control when i get it rather than irritate everyone in town
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM

I am actually to blame for all the "smoke switch" crap from several years ago for guys wanting more out of our old Xzillraider fuel only boxes.

What you are really doing with a smoke switch is telling the computer it has full boost even when you have little to zero boost. This allows the ECM to fuel based on max boost levels, hence more smoke.

This only works somewhat well on a stock truck.

Where this really shines is when you can send a full or max boost message to a module, then it really works much better because you are tricking the box into thinking full boost has been made.

Boost foolers are also something totally different. These are devices that only allow the factory computer to see a certain amount of boost so that they do not de-fuel or set soft codes because it sees an overboost situation.

To do the smoke switch right you either need a boost fooler (on a stock or programmed truck) or a box that connects to the MAP sensor and does boost fooling and relies on boost pressure to provide additional fueling.

With a boost fooler you need to basically jump the 5v power feed into the boost input of the boost fooler. This needs to be done on the sensor side. If you do this the boost fooler will spit out the max allowable boost number to the ECM as soon as you flip the switch. On a stock or programmed truck it will help make some smoke but, nothing crazy.

Same concept works on most boxes and it needs to be done the same way but, remember it has to be on the sensor side. If you do it on the ECM side the boost fooling will not work and you are likely to set an overboost code.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Chapter President

The mechanical pump is not the same as the smoke switch for the electronic engines. For the P-pump engines, its typically installed as a "valet" switch which runs a solenoid valve to block boost air pressure from the AFC. This keeps the AFC arm from moving and you don't get any more fuel than the minimum. So essentially it would work opposite to the electronic engine switch where you would turn it on for smoke, we would turn it on NOT to smoke.

The only way I can control smoke reliably is by setting up the AFC and using the right foot.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 PM

For those that care here is one of the original links where all this "smoke switch" crap got started:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...moke+switch%22

Go to post #6 and read towards the middle and you will see where the concept came from.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 AM

this also works with an edge comp and juice. but to add a switch to it exatly how do i do it. i find the 5V source on the stock sensor and on the edge harness and just wire a switch bewteen the two correct?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM

i ran wires to both outside wires on the map sensor harness on my edge juice with attitude on my 01 and wired a switch to it..then my check engine light came on..used a regular swith,no indicator light on it or anything..wanting to know what i did wrong..from what i read those are the wires i was supposed to tap into..
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Quad, I read through that old post of yours.

Will jumping the wires or making a smoke switch help out with low rpm fueling on your current XZT+?

Quick Reply: Smoke switch