Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty, XZT+, Edge...Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty, XZT+, Edge...Which one?

Hey everyone I am ready to get a box but have no idea which one. I am leaning towards Smarty but only because i know someone who has one on their 03 and he loves it. I have a 01 HO 6spd 2500 w/ BHAF and straight pipe. The truck does not see a lot of real heavy towing i just want more power and smoke. So which one?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my Drag comp & Smarty is awesome with alot of nice features, but I would wait for the new quadzilla Adreneline box to be released if I were you. It has the XZT+ tuning in the lower setting & a all out race setting for blowing smoke clouds at the flip of a switch. The XZT+ feels just like smarty driving around town & I actually saw lower EGTs with the XZT+ compared to smarty. The Adreneline will be like a Smarty/Comp stack all in one box with 10 different power levels on the fly.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM

I will agree. It looks like the Adrenaline box will be the new king of the VP44 trucks. Quad is doing some amazing things. I will add that the Quad Adren. will have high idle and turbo timer available at your finger tips.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smarty for 03 and up trucks is a totally different product. I would not take that into consideration. Frankly, for 600 bucks, you can do better. The XZT+ is a good one, or just find a used edge EZ and run that till the quad race box becomes available.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 AM

is there any idea on when the race box will be released?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 PM

hopefully before the end of the year
Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
Smarty for 03 and up trucks is a totally different product. I would not take that into consideration. Frankly, for 600 bucks, you can do better. The XZT+ is a good one, or just find a used edge EZ and run that till the quad race box becomes available.
I'm guessing as the time draws nearer for the production box the rest of the boxes will become quit cheap...just a guess...
Old 11-19-2007, 02:10 AM

I just bought a Quad M3 for my truck and an AEM Brute Force HD intake. The intake sounds great, and the truck definetly has more pull (esp. above 2500 where the truck started dying off before with only the exhaust). Funny thing is my gas mileage on this tank was my lowest yet (although I blame the right foot for its valiant quest to discover new horsepower).

Unfortunatley for my wallet, Im used to a 320hp WRX and an '07 CBR1000RR Repsol Edition, so Im pretty much unhappy unless the acceleration forces are attempting to impale my brain with my own eyeballs. I was thinking about buying the XZT+ upgrade for my M3, but Im sure that still wouldnt be enough. I would like to do a box with a digital dash setup also before I get too crazy without gauges. Im gonna slip the digital display in the radio slot, and Im making a custom console to house a touch screen LCD/stereo. I have been looking at the Edge Juice/Attitude Combo and more recently the Quad Xzillaraider/Commander setup. Anyone have a preference, or is there another similar setup out there that I should be considering too?

Also, as I mentioned, I have the intake and chip done, but will obviously be doing more in the future. Immediate plans call for a bigger single turbo (Aurora 3000 strikes my fancy at the moment) and some bigger injectors (+75hp most likely, havent decided on a manufacturer). My goal is 400+ hp at the tires, and better gas mileage. So I would like something that will help and not hinder or require replacement on my way towards these goals.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 AM

Just hooking up to this thread. My comp died this weekend (has been failing off and on for a couple months now) and debating about whether to send in and hope for reasonable repair or junk it and start over w/ something else.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm holding out for the Quad Adrenalin myself. Hoser795, I've been interested in the Aurora 3000 too. I havn't found anyone that has any experience running one yet though. I was thinking I could run that for a while, and then upgrade to the ATS twins which uses that as the top turbo now.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 PM

I was looking through Diesel Power Mag today, and I saw an ad for Van Aaken so I checked out their site. Anyone have any expirience with their stuff? I was looking at the SmartBox and vA Commander. Looks suspiciously like an XZT+ and Quadzilla commander.... I saw an ad though for the C5 SmartBox which, when coupled with the commander, actually allows you to write custom map files for your truck. This is the kind of tuning I am used to coming from the import and bike world (PowerCommanders, UTEC's, OpenECU, etc) where you just slap it on the dyno, write a tune specifically tailored to your mods, then street test it and tweak to get the desired driveability. Unfortunately this is only available for the 2003~2006 Common Rail trucks, and us VP44 people are left out again. Anyone know of any other systems like this that will work on a VP44 truck?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:49 AM

The Quad Adreniline Unit you guys are talking about -- what features will it have compared to whats available on the market today? I am just looking for box for towing.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM

Just bought the Quadzilla Xzillaraider 120HP box.....guy told me this Adrenaline one was coming out but who knows when.....thats the problem

-Carm
Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 PM

I am not a huge Edge fan, (I have run lots of their stuff). But, anyone would be hard pressed to outdo the 24v Juice w/att combo. Sure, some combos (tst/smarty) might make a little more hp (and cost more), but the Juice w/att features are in a class of their own, just for a few examples;
1. shut down timer (adjustable for temp or time on the fly)
2. built in gauges (with fuel psi and tapped banjo bolt, and trans temp)
3. five power settings and 5 psi/fueling maps for each
4. defuel for psi/fp/egt + more.

In my opinion it is the singe best electronic performance module value on the market today.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by westexhunt
I am not a huge Edge fan, (I have run lots of their stuff). But, anyone would be hard pressed to outdo the 24v Juice w/att combo. Sure, some combos (tst/smarty) might make a little more hp (and cost more), but the Juice w/att features are in a class of their own, just for a few examples;
1. shut down timer (adjustable for temp or time on the fly)
2. built in gauges (with fuel psi and tapped banjo bolt, and trans temp)
3. five power settings and 5 psi/fueling maps for each
4. defuel for psi/fp/egt + more.

In my opinion it is the singe best electronic performance module value on the market today.
Well the Quadzilla Adrenaline Race Box will soon sway your opinion.

Has everything you mentioned along with more setting and high idle.

Quick Reply: Smarty, XZT+, Edge...Which one?