Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty or XZT+ and....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smarty or XZT+ and....

Here's my dilema...any real world info would be appreciated.
I don't want to destroy my mpg and towing capability (5k lbs).

I have the superchip program installed(no programer provided when purchased)so once the ECU is cleared bye bye Schip or can this now be my "stock" setting. I'm thinking Smarty or XZT+ and Mach1.6 and 5" exhaust.
I think the schip = about 65 hp (adds timing+fuel)
I think the XZT+ does the same. If I get the XZT+ am I really going to notice a big diff? I don't want to get the XZT+ if I can just add a boost fooler to the schip and get the same results...other than on the fly adj. Originally I was going w/the smarty but w/all the downloads avail from Quad it seem to be a really good option. So I'm really stuck on which way to go. After the purchase I'll add probably the 1.6s, exhaust and be done.

Sorry for all the details...I'm just trying to go about doing this the best way vs. throwing $$$ at different options.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say the xtz+ since you have an auto. Smarty's dont play as well with autos as they do manuals....Plus you have all the cool downloads with the quad...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
JIT

XZT+ doesnt like the Superchips either. They both add timing and it will surge pretty bad if you try to run them both. I would sell what you have and Get the Adrenaline.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:39 AM

I don't have anything to sell. It's just the program loaded onto the ECU, no programer so I can't take it off unless I find someone w/a s-chip programmer or have it reflashed at the dealer and I don't like dealers. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will have to have the computer flashed by the dealer to get the XZT+ to work properly. Having someone with another SC reflash your's will do no good because they are VIN specific.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM

ok, now that I know this....am I really going to notice that much diff w/the XZT+ vs. a s-chip & boost fooler since they both state 65hp? Thanks for all the valid input and info. I would consider the adrenaline but will it jepordize my rebuilt tranny.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
ok, now that I know this....am I really going to notice that much diff w/the XZT+ vs. a s-chip & boost fooler since they both state 65hp? Thanks for all the valid input and info. I would consider the adrenaline but will it jepordize my rebuilt tranny.
It all really depends on the rebuilt tranny. Even if its a stock rebuild, you should be fine as long as your not doing anything stupid. You won't be able to run in the high setting all the time and jump on the throttle whenever you want, but as long as your an intelligent driver, then, I think you should be good.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 PM

I think I consider myself an intelligent driver. Ask others and they may disagree.

Anyway so if anyone can chime in on this question I'd appreciate it...
"Am I really going to notice that much diff w/the XZT+ vs. a s-chip & boost fooler since they both state 65hp"???
It's either I spend $50 or $350?
Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the SC before I bought my XZT+ but I ran the SC in tow perf. most of the time with an old trans and I couldn't slip it...most of the time anyway. The XZT+ put the final nails in the tranny, probably because it is so easy to switch between settings and I would do it more often. I was one of the first ones to get the XZT+ and helped Quad work out some of the bugs. When they first came out, we had 3 or 4 tunes that we could choose from and my truck liked small inj the best. Now we just have the agressive tune and I can defianately feel the kick but not like the small inj tune. Anyway, back to your orginal question, I don't remember what the SC really felt like but I really feel you would really, really like the XZT+.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 PM

i had a budy with the superchip when i got my XZT+, the XZT+ has way more low end and i thought with the new tune it was more like a 75 hp chip. i planed to do the same setup before i decided to get rid of this truck.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM

Hey, thanks for all the info. Knowing I don't have $$$ to throw at all the options on the market it's great to hear from people who've been there and done it.

I'm guessing a Smarty is out of the questions for the auto tranny since users state they don't "play well together". Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 PM

I think with the xzt+, its not so much the peak power produced that makes it great, but the quality of the power curve. I'd definately go with one of them and just have the dealer reflash your ecu to get rid of the superchips program.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
GFB

I would leave the superchips flash in the ecm and get a xzillaraider standard 120hp box. You can find those cheap and will give you plenty more power than either the xzt+ or the smarty, unless you're afraid of tapping the VP.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 PM

sence uv already got the super chip im with GFB the xzillaraider would probibly do more fir u.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 AM

ok thanks for all the info!!! But then what does the xzillaraider do that the schip doesn't? the schip adds timing & fuel. If I stack the xzill with it won't it add too much timing?

I wasn't really planning on tapping the pump right now.

Quick Reply: Smarty or XZT+ and....