Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty question ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty question ?

Just installed my Smarty I went with #7. It's 110 degrees
here right now and I think that might effect it a little. My question is
does #5 smoke less that #7 in normal driving ? I got some fuel and
drove past the Auto Mall in town and jumped on the throttle to try
it out. Works great , but when I looked in my rear view mirror
it looked like a coal train was following me
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 PM

did you stack the smarty with the V5....Im trying to decide which direction to go with boxes and I can't decide yet...ive heard good things about the smarty as well but dont know alot of specifics on it....I just would like to be able to make great power and smoke like a freight train when I want to and shut it off when I dont....
Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 PM

No ,I sold the Van Aaken V5. If you want the best towing combo ,
go with the Van Aaken / RV275 combo. I've decided to go to the next
level of power Going to stack the Smarty with a TST PM3 this
year . Next March after tax return. Mach 1.6 injectors and a larger
turbo
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM

I've been running on #5 for about 6 weeks now. I was running #7 from the day I bought it, but I think my clutch is slipping. I notice a little less smoke on #5 than #7. Like where you are, it is hotter than you know what and very humid here in Dallas. That is making it smoke way worse than when the temps were 85 and below. Takes a little bit of "effort/thinking" to row through the gears in these temps to not make it smoke so bad.

Your upgrade path looks like mine (soft of), my "to do" in order:
SBC CON-OFE
SPS-62/14
TST/PM3

~Rob
Old 07-23-2006, 09:36 PM

thats all I needed to know thanks....ive been lookin at the smarty also I jsut wasnt sure of what all it did...what HP is it rated at......I take it that it works like the Bully Dogg Tipple dog when you dont have the monitor...you have to plug it back in to change to a different setting?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jhood12
thats all I needed to know thanks....ive been lookin at the smarty also I jsut wasnt sure of what all it did...what HP is it rated at......I take it that it works like the Bully Dogg Tipple dog when you dont have the monitor...you have to plug it back in to change to a different setting?
The Smarty isn't all about HP, it is rated at about 60 HP, but that is not at peak. The Smarty gives the truck much more everyday driveability. It is literally a kick in the pants to drive. It removes the low end torque management and removes the upper end de-fueling limit. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
You are correct about the changing programs. You have to turn the vehicle off, plug the Smarty back into the ODBII port, then re-load another program (no changing on the fly).

~Rob
Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 PM

how much diff would it make on my truck....stock 02 HO 6sp....as far as power/smoke/fuel mileage??

sorry I keep asking a crap load of questions I try to ready as much as I can before asking questions but Im not that mechanically inclined (I know some stuff) I just dont want to buy a box and be dissapointed...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM

No problem, won't learn from a question you didn't ask

You will notice a lot more power on a stock truck, you will have more smoke (when you mash the pedal or if you don't shift it correctly, by that I mean lugging it), but it is controllable and your MPG should increase (especially if you run level 1, fuel saver mode).
You could call Bob Wagner (a distributor of the Smarty) and he can tell you if there is anyone in your area that has one who might let you try it out on your truck. I think he has some demo loaners too.
Few things to keep in mind before running any programmer/box long term:
You should get gauges, especially a fuel pressure gauge.
You should look into upgrading your fuel delivery system. I have upgraded fuel lines from the lift pump to the injection pump, they helped big time in my fuel pressure. I don't plan on going above about 400ish HP, so I don't plan on adding an after market lift pump like the FASS. The big line kit works. Another big line kit manufacturer is Vulcan.
I would also recommend upgrading your air intake and exhaust too.

Good luck, it is a slippery slope that I never planned on going down,
~Rob
Old 07-23-2006, 11:22 PM

thanks for the info...this almost sounds like a better way to go than the Edge Drag Comp..
Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 AM

what about smarty for a modded truck ??

check my sig for my stats.. i was wondering about getting smarty to stack ontop of my Edge comp box.. I don't get enough fuel at the moment.. i was thinking that stacking these chips would help with that issue.. anyone have an opinion ? OR i can go another route and take that almost 700 bux and spend it on water/methanol injection or propane injection to boost my HP a little..
Old 07-24-2006, 06:05 AM

A very popular stack is the Smarty and TST/PM3.
You run the Smarty on one of its "timing only" softwares (the even numbered ones) and then you use the TST box to have in-cab adjustability of the fueling. Many people have sold their Edge stuff after trying that combo out. Several folks around here (rjohnson, bigblue and aggiejustin to name a few) are running that combo with excellent results

Members Tigerrag and ph4tty have done alot of testing with the Smarty. Might ask them what stacks they have tried.

~Rob
Old 07-24-2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
Going to stack the Smarty with a TST PM3 this
year . Next March after tax return. Mach 1.6 injectors and a larger
turbo
Smarty/TST/Mach 1.6's will make a very nice setup

Randy
Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The question of smoke is not a simple one.

There's a difference between how easily is will smoke, and HOW MUCH smoke it will make!

IMO, #9 can actually be driven the hardest with no smoke-- in terms of acceleration. With the lower softwares, you have to baby it more to not get smoke.

The flip side to #9 is that if you go just a tiny bit past the threshold of smoke, you get a big cloud, and if you get way ahead of the turbo, it will POUR out the pipe.

So #9 rewards careful driving by giving you the fastest acceleration before you have will see smoke. That said, it also punishes inattentive use of the skinny pedal, as you will have a LOT of smoke.

Smoke control is remarkably good, though. I was able to pretty much control it this weekend at Rocky MTN Nat'l Park, crawling up the gravel trail to the peak of 11,700 feet. With M4s, it will very reasonable and smoke control was entirely doable.

EGTs will get pretty warm pretty fast, though at almost 12K feet. Idle is 400+ degrees!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Smarty on #9 and not paying attention when leaving a stop (even just normal driving) = the person behind you better hope they don't have their windows down cause there's a big cloud coming there way.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:22 PM

From what I've read. Level #5 , #7 ,#9 all end up at
the same power level , just at different rates (throttle position )
If this is true shouldn't level #5 be less smokey than level #7
at the same throttle position ? I'm looking for the best level
that smokes the least from 0 - 3/4 throttle and then smokes
if you really hammer it.

Quick Reply: Smarty question ?