Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The LP only runs for an instant because the Smarty incorporates all the latest stock SW updates. I find no problems with the change to the LP startup cycle. I haven't had to change a FF yet, though.

I should probably get around to trying some of the "no timing" SWs, but honestly I prefer the timing-- that's perhaps the single thing the Smarty does better than any other hop-up option.

So far, I really like 0,1,3,5,7,9. I've only played with the "no timing" ones briefly. EGT at cruise was higher, pointing to lower mpg (imo), so I put the timing back in.

There's REALLY only ONE SINGLE improvement that I can think that the Smarty needs. Namely, the implementation of the "half power" and the "fuel saver" programs. What's the point of bumping the timing way up in an effort to save fuel, only to turn around and keep the pedal response so aggressive that's it's almost impossible to drive the truck in a fuel-efficient manner except with the cruise on. I mean, if fuel economy is my BIGGEST priority, wouldn't I be willing to sacrifice some pedal response to get it?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this may be off topic but does anyone know if its possible to get fit another software into the smarty?ive ordered mine this week for my 2nd gen truck and i would like to download a software for a 3rdgen into it to let my dad try it out,i know if he tried it he would want one.there must be extra room in the smarty for updates and stuff.ill ask bob this question too.just wondering if anyone knows.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Nope...different "Smarty's" for the 2nd and 3rd Gen's. Not upgradeable between "Gens!"

But you can update yours to the latest software when Marco does an update!

I Think,
Chris
Old 02-25-2006, 02:03 PM

Talking

is the diagnostic port where the smarty plugs in diferent from 2nd gen to third gen?if not i dont see why a 3rd gen sofware couldnt be stored in a 2nd gen smarty,if the plugs are doferent then i could see it not working.if updates and password retrieval{if dealer flashes while smarty is installed}then 1 more software should fit.maybe the softwares are big files.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:15 PM

The new smarties for the 3rd gens aren't out yet. I have heard that they are still in the beta testing phase. I am not sure if the programmers could be used for both 2nd and 3rd gen trucks but my guess is no.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:19 PM

So if i read this right, after installing the smarty you lose the bump starter feature where the lift pump runs for about 25 seconds. If you go back and reinstall stock program do you get this back?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RAM2940
So if i read this right, after installing the smarty you lose the bump starter feature where the lift pump runs for about 25 seconds. If you go back and reinstall stock program do you get this back?
Yes, if you go back to stock the 25 second run after a bump works fine.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:04 PM

I just tested it and that feature is still enabled with the smarty program.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k-bit
Does the Smarty effect the overhead MPG on an otherwise stock '02 ETH?
Thanks,
Jack
I suspect it's a bit more accurate than with an external box. I took a 400 mile road trip yesterday and noticed that the overhead readout more closely matched the miles/tank needle position than was the case with the Quadzilla box.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:11 AM

Thanks - I thught it should since the ECU was controlling the fuel and not an add on box that fooled the pump into giving the engine more fuel than the ECU planned.
Thanks,
Jack
Old 02-26-2006, 08:16 AM

There is a difference between the "bump the starter to make lift pump run for 25 secs" and the intitial "turn the key and the LP comes on."
For earlier 24valves, when you turned the key to "on" but did not bump the starter, the LP pressure would go up and stay up. Later trucks like mine never did this, the pressure would go to around 5 then drop right back to zero instantly to prevent hard starts. This is what Smarty now does to all of them. Bumping the starter will still activate the LP for a full run so you can purge air and such.

Geico266, if you're bumping the starter and the LP is cutting in and out and not showing the same pressure that you have at idle, then you have a LP problem. The FASS II may be causing the difference somehow because my LP runs right up to 13 PSI for 25 sec with the Smarty on level 5 right now.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JLand
Geico266, if you're bumping the starter and the LP is cutting in and out and not showing the same pressure that you have at idle, then you have a LP problem. The FASS II may be causing the difference somehow because my LP runs right up to 13 PSI for 25 sec with the Smarty on level 5 right now.
It runs 25 seconds after a bump. I'm good. Thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 08:29 AM

The instructions say remove all boxes, yet most guys (including myself) leave them on. I have an 8 year old VA 35 hp box that plugs into the injection pump. Should I remove it? Should I only use certain Smarty numbers? Is it a fueling or timing box?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
The instructions say remove all boxes, yet most guys (including myself) leave them on. I have an 8 year old VA 35 hp box that plugs into the injection pump. Should I remove it? Should I only use certain Smarty numbers? Is it a fueling or timing box?
I had a Quadzilla non-adjustable 70 hp box. I yanked it off so I could let the CatCHer software handle the timing, and I don't miss it a bit. It'll be up for sale on eBay shortly.

My Fast likes Smarty #9 far better.

Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 09:31 AM

FYI
We had a N. Texas Club get together last weekend. I let about eight members try the Smarty for a run down the road.... till we ran into a problem.

Had a friend of a member show up with an old, rough looking 99 auto that turned out (I later learned) to have a Salvage Title. Believe it was rebuilt from a least two totaled trucks.
The Smarty loaded OK... but would not return to Stock. Apparently the ECM was from a different truck (VIN#) than the original truck!

Sent my "Vin Locked" Smarty to Bob last Tuesday....got it back, good as new, Saturday! That's Spectacular Customer Service in my book!!

I mention all this to send a big "Thank You" to Bob Wagner... and to let others know to be a little cautious about trying Smarty on "unknown trucks". Will probably never happen again, but I thought it was worth letting you all know.

Was only without Smarty for 6 days... but I sure missed the little fella!

RJ

Quick Reply: Smarty Observations