Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty....idle up when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a link to the Dodge TSB (which I have had done). It lists all of the conditions which must be met for the idle RPM ramp up, and for 3 cyl idle.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-019-01.htm

It has to be pretty cold before the 3 cyl will cut in, and, if you've plugged in the block heater for any more than 3 hours or so, it will not idle up, and it certainly won't kick in to 3 cyl mode. 3 cyl mode sounds like there's big rocks in half the cylinders. You, and everyone within 300 yards will definately know it's happening.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM

I got the smarty and am running the beta program and now my hi idle dont work. Anyone else got this problem????
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
D'oh!

The factory software should be able to disable it. A friend I work with, is a former Chrysler automotive tech and he went back to his old shop (dealership) and enabled the highidle features on his newly aquired 2nd Gen with the ******* ship software. so you should be able to reverse it.........thats funny though bet that was a surprise to have it ramp up on its own
After the truck is warm its not an issue...I hoped disconnecting the batteries would wipe it out but it didnt.

Its not really a big deal Id rather use the exhaust brake for warmup though...I dont like having both on at the same time. So now I have to keep the e-brake off until I get on the road.

I was aware of the high idle thing before I tried the Smarty but wasnt thinking about it in August.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ib516
You, and everyone within 300 yards will definately know it's happening.
Yeah, Ive got two CTD's - the neighbours love me...
Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSilver
dr evil:

what do you have on your truck for a high idle switch?
It was on the truck when I bought it - its a custom made high idle switch bought at Cummins in Edmonton (they dont have them any more though).

Its an adjustable black box the ties into the APPS (but I have yet to have the cover off the APPS). Theres a switch in the cab that turns it on/off.

Very similar to this:

http://www.dieselservices.com/html/d...e_ram_p137.cfm
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
After the truck is warm its not an issue...I hoped disconnecting the batteries would wipe it out but it didnt.

Its not really a big deal Id rather use the exhaust brake for warmup though...I dont like having both on at the same time. So now I have to keep the e-brake off until I get on the road.

I was aware of the high idle thing before I tried the Smarty but wasnt thinking about it in August.
There a reason you can't run the high idle and e-brake together? Should have some nice and warm EGT's as well as a decent load on the engine. Should warm up in no time.

The funny thing is, everyone that has tried my Smarty has gotten the high idle. I had it for 18 months on my truck, and not once did it ever idle up for me.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 AM

Tonight mine high idled up again. Dang, it's quieter then too. I can't wait untill it's -15 so it will 3 cyl. haha
Too bad I'm not working anymore, I'd take a sick day off just to hear the 3 cyl idle. haha

Doc, What's the matter with me??? I see black smoke in my dreams, I hear rumbling noises in my ears, everything tastes like various #2 diesel fuels, bio-diesel, ULSD, LSD,
everything smells like burnt rubber. Everything I touch vibrates.
I love to go outside to my truck when it is way below zero.

Son, you've got Diesel disease. there is no cure. It only gets worse. There is some relief however if you go buy a new truck.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
There a reason you can't run the high idle and e-brake together? Should have some nice and warm EGT's as well as a decent load on the engine. Should warm up in no time.
Well, Im still feeling it out. Im driving the 12V now so I dont run this truck every day.

I just dont like the way it sounds with the e-brake on.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Yeah, Ive got two CTD's - the neighbours love me...
my truck dosen't have that features and my neighbours already hate me. i've lived in this house for 1 year now. my old neighbours were happy i left. now with the vw and the cummins together. the vw sounds like the cummins does warm when it is cold.

i have random people stick there heads out of there front doors at 6 am to see what the heck is going on lol.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by dj_souvlaki
my truck dosen't have that features and my neighbours already hate me.
I was hoping my 3cyl idle would bring my neighbors out.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Ben

[QUOTE=Tate;1824657]There a reason you can't run the high idle and e-brake together? Should have some nice and warm EGT's as well as a decent load on the engine. Should warm up in no time.
QUOTE]

My truck actually did this once. It was -40 outside.

Normally the high idle never kicks in for me after it's been plugged in.

Well, I fired up the truck, got the cord stowed, activated the exhaust brake, then went inside.

I "thought" I heard the truck get louder for some reason, but didn't pay any mind to it.

15 minutes later I went out side and here's the truck running at 1200 rpm with the exhaust brake on. That is one crazy sound.

EGT's were at 500 and the temp gauge was already registering a quarter of the way up. I had HEAT.

Never had it happen again tho.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ben
15 minutes later I went out side and here's the truck running at 1200 rpm with the exhaust brake on. That is one crazy sound.
Sounds like I would imagine a runaway would...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Redliner
I got the smarty and am running the beta program and now my hi idle dont work. Anyone else got this problem????
I'm running the Beta speed limiting program and my high idle doesn't work now. I have had the truck in 17* weather and did a cold start. No high idle at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 PM

Mines done it once, then under the same conditions the next day it didnt do it. I wonder if the people not seeing the high idle have bad IAT sensors.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by BigB82789
I wonder if the people not seeing the high idle have bad IAT sensors.
Thats definitely a possibility...some other problem may keep it from kicking in.

Quick Reply: Smarty....idle up when cold