Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smarty, edge comp??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To keep that one from looking so long, I'll try explaining something else that many may not understand or even agree with, but when running almost every combination of boxs now and talking with a few pump builders and some of the techs at some of the box manufactures, it makes sense to me. I believe the smarty fails to produce more peak power and gives you the dead pedal with a bunch of smoke for the same reason that the TST PowerMax Competition ran better on level 7 than 9. All the talk about pulling every last drop of fuel from the vp is not all its cracked up to be. When this happens, it's actually draining the pump as intended, but ultimately you start pulling (robbing) fuel from the next turn of the rotor. Then you're playing catch up trying to fill the next turn of the rotor. I don't feel like I'm making that very clear. Does that make sense to anybody besides me?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Destination
take the comp off and send it to edge and have them turn it into a drag comp then while its out put in your gauges.
after market lit pumps are not always needed for beginers with everything in my sig. my fuel pressure will only drop to 9psi wot and all i have is a big line relocation kit with stock pump and it does just fine for know.
i ordered my gauges today. u dont have turbo upgrade? how do u like those jammer 5s? i want those or mach 3s
Old 09-27-2008, 12:39 AM

I disagree with the Smarty assessments making more power on lower levels. In my case, every time the Smarty was used, I lost power at all RPMS to redline. Runs started around 1400-1600 rpm and tested many different ways. It just flat killed the power in the midrange and top end.

I don't know what the power difference was at less than 1500rpm as I can't start a run that low and on the street my converter is too close to that for fluid coupling to be able to tell the difference.

This is with dozens of tests with various boxes, injectors and turbo combos. It does feel better on the bottom with the Smarty, but it just lacks overall drivability compared to the Edge alone.

The best Smarty stack I have run was the Smarty/ TST stack. It worked well, but the Smarty issues led me away from it. With the TST/ EZ it made more HP at all RPM. Not much, just a few. Overall power was also up with the EZ/ TST stack. My assumption that the Edge taking the MAP and Can-Bus info along with a different timing/ fueling map seemed to work better for me.

But everyone has their own opinion on these things. Take 'em to the track and test them and see which is fastest. This translates directly into HP.

Dave
Old 09-27-2008, 01:56 AM

Once again, could be wrong, but the autos are different animals. They like different things. The number 2 setting is what lost my power on the bottom but skyrocketted my top end on the dyno. The edge doesn't fuel that hard without the smarty on 2, not just lower settings, NO catcher software programming. I do understand what is always said as far as times vs. hp but that's not exactly true. Faster times means faster times and not necessarily more hp. There's a lot that goes into that equation but typically yes, if you add power you tend to run faster times.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by lvmknsmoke..
i ordered my gauges today. u dont have turbo upgrade? how do u like those jammer 5s? i want those or mach 3s
right know im still running stock turbo.im very happy with them best bang for the buck in my opinion. it will git smoky and hot real quick when playing on the street but when i sled pull it cleans up pretty decent.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM

well 2whistlers thanks for calling me out. all i did was give my opinion. you think i dont have a clue. i felt the smarty did almost nothing when it wasent on a catcher setting. and when it was just floged the charger with smoke. i think you dont have a clue because you think a 650 dollar programmer is worth losing power on the dyno and running the same times at the track.actualy i know a guy that ran a 1/10 of a second faster with a catcher ecm. my opinion is that lvmknsmoke could spend 650 bucks even on a set jammer 5 injectors and get 3 times the low end and peak power. i think everyone even you (2wistlers) can agree that a set of injectors will be money better spent than a smarty
Old 09-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Well, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings little man slow down. I took your name out of the other post so pull your panties out or your crack. As far as the $650 thing goes, sorry you spent so much money. If it were me, I would've just bought a used one and not spent so much on a new one if I were that worried about having one. This discussion isn't about dollars best spent. The whole point of my explanation was to point out that actual driving/racing the catcher software will help and give you useable power in the range your engine spends most of its time. This however doesn't go to show on the dyno (usually). If we were trying to come up with the solution to where dollars are best suited, then next on the list would be a clutch.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 PM

wil a smarty do good with edge comp or r these not good together. i know some levels of smarty do not add timing and edge comp does. i have the comp. or am i better to go with injectors for true power?

this was the original post, he is looking for true power. now i dont think a smarty is the easiest way to get power out of his truck. i gave him my opinion on the smarty and think he should go for the injectors.the only thing i wish i still had my smarty for is to mess with the revo
Old 09-28-2008, 01:06 PM

I still say clutch will give him more felt power right now since it is slipping on him now. I say this because injectors would just make his clutch slip more and go nowhere.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 PM

guys guys. relax. ya im puttin on a clutch before i do either smarty or injectors. but hey yal made for some interesting readin. lol and thanks for advice
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 PM

You'll have more fun with injectors as your next move after the clutch, but then your fuel system will definately be lacking if it isn't already.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:01 PM

well were on the same page now. you might want to look into a holley blue pump and somthing like glacier diesels big line kit. its cheap and a guy near me has this same setup and cant pull it below 8psi
Old 09-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by olddodgetruck
well were on the same page now. you might want to look into a holley blue pump and somthing like glacier diesels big line kit. its cheap and a guy near me has this same setup and cant pull it below 8psi
lot cheaper than air dog? i got a air dog dealer half hour from me. would be good service but if blue pump is cheaper an stil as good i might be interested
Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 PM

That's a decision you will have to make. I personally would put a stronger carter on before I ever thought about another holley, but a lot of people on here love them. I went through 2 in 2 months on my '99 and my friend's '03 went through 3 in 2 months. Those were the blue pumps. Another friend had better luck and only had 2 go out on him in 6 months. They were the black series. I'd spend the money on an airdog and forget about it but that's just me.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM

ok. sounds good. i dont wanna be burnin em up constantly. about my comp. if i send it in to edge to get it made into a drag comp. wat al does it add or do they add? more horsepower or more adjustability or wat?

Quick Reply: smarty, edge comp??