Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smarty, edge comp??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty, edge comp??

wil a smarty do good with edge comp or r these not good together. i know some levels of smarty do not add timing and edge comp does. i have the comp. or am i better to go with injectors for true power?

2001 shorty, 5 spd manual, edge comp
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Smarty is great, but if you don't have a clutch, you better order one with it. Do you have a upgraded fuel system? What pressures you got?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM

I run a smarty revo, with a drag comp....but like J Lent says better get a clutch..I really like this combo, but i have injectors and a fuel system as well. The revo software allows you to adjust the timing in the smarty so that you can run it with the comp. Strong Combo!!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM

great! ya i need a clutch i slip it on level 4. and i need a fuel system bad to. am just tryin to figure out wat would run good with my comp cause i really like it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM

i ran that setup, from the way it drove on the street i would of thought the smarty would of gave a bunch of power. when i dynoed i lost 22 hp stacking the smarty. i would spend the money on a fuel system, then a clutch. if i were you injectors would be next. you have gauges?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 PM

no gauges. thats another thing i need and i need that next. before anything else. cause i dont know wat my fuel press. is runnin. but ya i wondered if injectors would be better. cause il prob be using my stock turbo at least for awhile.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lvmknsmoke..
no gauges. thats another thing i need and i need that next. before anything else. cause i dont know wat my fuel press. is runnin. but ya i wondered if injectors would be better. cause il prob be using my stock turbo at least for awhile.
NO GAUGES!!!!!!!! Dude, you better have money saved up for a new vp.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM

ya everyone is tellin me that. thats next. should i just turn the comp off til then?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 AM

the Smarty will give better off idle acceleration. But as stated, I also lost power with that stack. A bit too smokey for me as well as I was running a tall ger and tight converter.

To each their own.

Dave
Old 09-24-2008, 10:19 PM

the first thing I put on to my truck was gauges. In stock form my fuel pressure would still drop to around 4-5psi at wot so with the comp adding timming and fuel you are probably running your vp44 close to dry. Turn off the comp till you get a fuel pressure gauge and a better lift pump. Just my two cents. once I get my injectors(Mach 4) and either a bigger turbo or twins, and a dd clutch then I am going to stack the smarty
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 PM

take the comp off and send it to edge and have them turn it into a drag comp then while its out put in your gauges.
after market lit pumps are not always needed for beginers with everything in my sig. my fuel pressure will only drop to 9psi wot and all i have is a big line relocation kit with stock pump and it does just fine for know.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM

As far as the smarty and horsepower goes, there's a lot more to the story than what people not only are saying, but may not realize. I've spent multiple times on Dunbar's dyno with mine and another truck. The smarty feels like it adds more power, because it does, period. I'm sure when you feel like its making more power, you're probably using the catcher software because it "feels" stronger. It is. Just because on the dyno you lost peak horsepower doesn't mean that it made the truck weaker. If it did, you wouldn't have thought it felt stronger when driving. The street and the dyno are completely different experiences for the engine. I forgot the last time I put mine on the dyno and left it on level 4 and was discusted with the number. I thought I had changed it but didn't, so between runs I retuned the smarty down to level 2 and tried it again. I think I picked up somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 PEAK horsepower. Yes, I did gain horsepower, but it was so high of RPM and it took so long to get there, that on the street it feels like it's not as strong. You have more bottom and midrange horsepower with the smarty on it's catcher software because it spools the charger quicker, which is why it feels so much stronger. That's the problem with all the new comers jumping on dynos without knowing what they're looking at. A number is just that. Sure that's what people brag about, but the line graph shows the engines true capabilities.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 PM

2whistlers, what setting do u put the smarty at for towing to get the turbo to spool up quicker? and for dynoing/drag racing, what setting do u put it on?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 PM

on my dyno sheet the smarty stack made about 5 hp more from about 1400 -1800 rpms then it fell off fast, with the smarty it made 452. with the comp alone it made 480. some people love the smarty, i felt the only diffrence was that you didnt have to press the go pedal as far.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 PM

This just goes to show that some people don't understand that more is not always better. The only time the smarty feels like it runs out of pedal is when the catcher software is being used. The higher the catcher software, the more dead pedal you get. Notice I said I ran it on 4 the first run because I forgot to change it when I got on the dyno. I run it on 4 because of the increased driveability due to quicker spooling. By playing with the different settings and not just assuming level 9 was the strongest setting, I found that you can actually put your foot on the floor to get the most out of the fueling and not have to gauge where full throttle was with the dead pedaling number 9. This setting also netted me more useable RPM, which if you think about it, makes sense. You're not trying to drain the pump like on 9 and actually using the fuel which of course will give you more power/RPM. As for the dyno runs, I chose to go down to level 2 which seems to not lug the motor as much and lets the engine breathe and get to spooling the charger in a way that will actually make a more efficient dyno run. I notice that it does have more power on level 2 on the street as well, but it takes so much longer to get up to the RPM where it makes that power, that it does not make sense to use that setting on the street or for racing. It seems the art of fine tuning engines is coming to a quick end, even with the simple software on the electronically controlled engines that's out now. I have always had the best running street/racing setup with a drag comp on 5x5 and the smarty on level 4. If you're wanting to post up a bigger number on the dyno, I would drop the smarty down to level 2 and keep the edge on kill. May not be the winning combination for your particular truck, but it works for mine.

Until I started using the smarty with the edge, I was running a lot better by running the comp on 5x4. I'm assuming that the way the fuel comes in on kill is just a little too much for the charger to light as quick, but by giving it just a little amount until a few more pounds of boost are built and then giving it full fuel, it seemed to run better on mine and a friend of mine's truck as well.
Sorry for the long post.

Quick Reply: smarty, edge comp??