Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty or Edge Attidue?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty or Edge Attidue?????

I just bought a 01.5 HO. Truck is all stock right now with no gauges or anything. I tow around occasionaly a 9000 lb fifth wheel. Rest of time just a short commute. I was looking at the Edge Attidude since it has the gauges already or the Smarty and adding gauges. Anybody tried both of them and could give me some advice?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

I haven't owned either, but analog gauges are easier to read at a glance, and watch out of the corner of your eye.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:58 PM

It really depends on what you want to do..... Smarty isn't going to give you the horsepower bump that the Edge with Attitude is but you couldn't trade me an Edge with Attitude for my Smarty... Smarty isn't all about ultimate dyno horsepower, it's about improved driveability and an increased the fun factor.

btw, my vote is for Smarty and analog gauges.... then some sticks and a TST and a PS64 and a SB Dual Disc and a HRVP-44 but not necessarily in that order
Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 PM

I just got an 01 ho and I installed the attitude. I like it alot. This is my 1st diesel and only modification to one so my experience is very limmited. The Edge has user adjustable alarms for fuel presssure, EGT, speed and several others I can't remember offhand. Instalation was a breeze also. I do understand that the Smarty has an OBDII code reader where the Edge does not. I already have a OBDII diagnostic tool which works on my truck so I felt I did not need this feature.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
one thing to consider when comoparing products. Juice taps the vp 44 pump wire.

smarty is not a wire tap box and does not do a double duty cycle on the vp44 for more hp.

smarty does not include gauges but is a trouble code reader with plain text read out and clears codes and also adjusts abs for larger size tires.

just for there is no confusion
Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 AM

You can also not tap the pump wire if you like. Then it runs the same as a 60 hp EDGE EZ.

I love the gauges and features of the Juice.

Also, price is about the same. I bought my Juice for $700 shipped. Smarty is going to be $650. Then you need $400-500 in gauges. I had Autometer analog gauges and hated them. Boost gauge broke in like 6 months. Mechanical fuel pressure gauge was a bad idea. Pillar mount doesn't fit worth a crap.

I wouldn't mind trying the stack of the Smarty and Juice, but IMO, you get a lot more value from the Juice. The Gauges alone are worth it IMO.

Also, my Juice feels stronger off the bottom then my VanAaken(which supposively had more low end then the COMP or EZ) and a heck of a lot stronger on top.

I would like to compare the Smarty, but just can't warrant the cost. I'm sure the Smarty is a great product, and I will probably pick one up someday, but I think the Juice is the way to go unless you already have and like your analog gauges.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:12 AM

The juice and the comp are rated at the same I believe.I personally like the analog guages,and as the guys said they are easier to read.I run a comp drag version and smarty.The smarty on 8 and the comp on 5x5 is a machine.The smarty gives me unbelievable low end where the comp was lacking and the comp gives mega fuel on the high end.Needless to say i have smoke now through the whole rpm range on hard blasts,and I laid a dually mat today in 3rd around a corner.The smarty is something I would not do without.So if i were you I would buy both,be it the juice or the comp,and the smarty.Also guys,doesnt the juice backdown the fuel when the egts get too high?That is something to think about as well,as the comp definately does not.Both are well worth the money,but if I were to do it again,I would run a tst powermax and a smarty,due to the fact that I cant use the smartys timing because if the comp running the timing
Old 06-03-2006, 08:19 AM

Juice

I have the juice with the attitude monitor and I love it. It has so many features like the turbo timer, all the gauges, alerts, tire size, performance tests, and so much more. The power is great and I have not tapped my pump yet. It is a fairly easy installation and in my oppinion looks better than the gauges.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:58 AM

With th H.O, with out a doubt get the smarty, and if you still want more, then throw a set of injectors in.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:54 PM

Another vote for the Smarty. Last week, I put it on fuel saver mode. Could only stand it for 2 days. The difference is night and day between Smarty and without. I had a Drag Comp for 6 months, and bought the Smarty to replace it, and haven't regretted it for a minute.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:00 PM

gerryvan just left here with a demo smarty installed. This way he can see if the smarty fits his needs
Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
gerryvan just left here with a demo smarty installed. This way he can see if the smarty fits his needs
I'd say that the chances are he'll like it
Old 06-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
I'd say that the chances are he'll like it

I hate it Bob!
Just kidding everyone.

I called Bob and found out he was so close to my house. He offered to set me up with a demo to give it a try. I went over and he helped put a boost elbow on for me and hooked it up and showed me how to use the Smarty. He put the setting on 7 for me to try out and all I can say is wow! I drove it around town today and up to my parents around 40 miles or so and the onboard mpg gauge has it up a little over 1 mpg so far. Way more responsive. I'm going to try the fuel saver and see what happens.
On another note I want you all to know what a great guy Bob was today. He was very patient with me, a real newbie. He showed me little things I should do my truck. He was not pushy on his product and told me to try it out for a week or so. He never bad mouthed the other product. I think he knows that his product will sell itself

Gerry
Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 AM

Is the demo smarty something that has to be taken out again, or is it just a few day trial and it dissapears like the bully dog one?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 AM

Tom, It needs to be returned. There are a couple of guys in your area that would let you try the smarty but they own the product.

Quick Reply: Smarty or Edge Attidue?????