Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smarty drag comp stack! holy crap~!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jiMMyCTD
The only reason i want a smarty is because of the higher rpms before de-fueling. But someone told me i just need to send my edge comp in for a re flash or something to change that. if thats the case then i think that may be better. I only use the truck on weekends it seems like to tow the boat or the cruiser around... input is needed ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehe.

thanks, jiMMy
If you want the comp to not defuel, send it in and get the drag upgrade. No defueling on level 5.

While the Smarty supposedly gets rid of the RPM limiter, I made more power at the higher rpms with the Edge products. On the dyno, the Smarty would not run to 3100 rpm. That's a dynojet, foot to the floor, it just stops revving. The drag comp took me to 3500rpm under the same conditions.

Dave
Old 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM

hmmm, so only on leval 5 huh. i dont tow on 5 so i dont think that would benifit me much??? not looking for peak HP as i dont think i have even floord the truck yet. just want to carry a gear a lil more before shifting while towing to the lakes and the trails and not have it peak....
Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 PM

I"ll ask it again. Has anybody dyno a stock truck with just a smarty and seen what improvement was accually made?

Thanks
Dan
Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been done, and I think it showed about 40hp peak gain. But Smarty is moe about area under the curve, not peak numbers.

jh
Old 08-04-2007, 02:38 AM

I think they advertise 60Hp or so. But I have no idea on what vehicle that would be figured on. Obviously, ability to stack it is what's nice.

Dave
Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I had mine delayed to 10 psi and hated it. Changed it to 3 psi and it really worked well. In fact, I am selling that TST. But, you may wnt yours setup a bit differently

The nice thing about the TST and other external boxes is they look for some boost before fueling. I am still running the TST with the stock ecm. Works great! With an EZ, it flat rocks.

Dave
Hohn;

Yeah; I am with FtD4U here. I have thought about having my TST re-programed for 5-10 psi. 5 psi is about my smoke threshold. I talked to TST about it and they reccomended just leaving it at 3 psi. It is easier to just turn the TST down. According to TST, on all levels the TST will start fueling at 3 psi. From my experience the ramp up rate is scaled slower at the lower levels and corresponds according to what level the TST is running at as well as the maximum fueling rate (fueling solenoid duty cycle).

IMO if you have it set for 20 or 30 psi you will likely be in the market for a new turbo pretty soon. It spools hard enough from 3 psi, but still gives the wastegate time to react before overspeed. With the TST on higher levels the fueling is fairly harsh and the spool is off the chart fast. Take that last comment to the bank.

Currently, I am running stock SW TST3 even for my light towing jobs. Power is very smooth with little smoke. Like FtD4U (was doing), I am using the TST to set the rpm rise when unloaded over the Smarty SW alone. TST6 is very nice and TST9 still nicer when I am feeling froggy, but TST3 is the normal these days. By tommorow that will likely change.

I tried running Fuel Saver for a bit as smoke was down over stock. In the end I like more quiet at 2300 rpm grinding up a grade. I also worried about the wear and tear on my engine long term by fueling too hard, running higher boost and lots of timing. So I put it back to stock. My mileage may suffer.

Jim
Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by dansdodgediesel
I"ll ask it again. Has anybody dyno a stock truck with just a smarty and seen what improvement was accually made?

Thanks
Dan
Yes, some one did and posted up the results. I can't remember which website I saw it on. Try searching DTR.

But basically, all odd SW did 50-60 Hp and the even's did 20-30 Hp. They did not show the torque curves for Hohn's "Area under the curve", only the numbers were posted. I don't remember the torque numbers.

Jim
Old 08-05-2007, 01:25 PM

Smarty Test's

Here's some test's we did with the tow truck that only has light mods, like Mach 1.2's and 5" MBRP. But not stock http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=10045

Thanks Brett
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM

My dad's '02 auto stock except 4" rips exhaust with muffler and BHAF.

42 HP over stock. Dyno'd within 1 Hp on levels 3,5,7,9,. Even levels only made 18HP.

Dave
Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
Hohn;

Yeah; I am with FtD4U here. I have thought about having my TST re-programed for 5-10 psi. 5 psi is about my smoke threshold. I talked to TST about it and they reccomended just leaving it at 3 psi. It is easier to just turn the TST down. According to TST, on all levels the TST will start fueling at 3 psi. From my experience the ramp up rate is scaled slower at the lower levels and corresponds according to what level the TST is running at as well as the maximum fueling rate (fueling solenoid duty cycle).

IMO if you have it set for 20 or 30 psi you will likely be in the market for a new turbo pretty soon. It spools hard enough from 3 psi, but still gives the wastegate time to react before overspeed. With the TST on higher levels the fueling is fairly harsh and the spool is off the chart fast. Take that last comment to the bank.

Currently, I am running stock SW TST3 even for my light towing jobs. Power is very smooth with little smoke. Like FtD4U (was doing), I am using the TST to set the rpm rise when unloaded over the Smarty SW alone. TST6 is very nice and TST9 still nicer when I am feeling froggy, but TST3 is the normal these days. By tommorow that will likely change.

I tried running Fuel Saver for a bit as smoke was down over stock. In the end I like more quiet at 2300 rpm grinding up a grade. I also worried about the wear and tear on my engine long term by fueling too hard, running higher boost and lots of timing. So I put it back to stock. My mileage may suffer.

Jim
The problem here is that I don't want to adjust a TST box. I want to just flick it off and on. Off for daily driving, on for taking no prisoners.

So if maybe I should run the standard ramp up but have it set for right one the turbo starts to spool-- say 5psi with a small turbo, or 10psi with a bigger charger like the 71-series HTT or the SPS units.

Thanks for the advice on this...

JH
Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
The problem here is that I don't want to adjust a TST box. I want to just flick it off and on. Off for daily driving, on for taking no prisoners.

JH
You need a JVD then switch up say 120hp+ switch down its mayb 75 , I ran this back to back with my TST comp and the but ometer like the JVD better made the same if not more boost +1 and EGTS stayed in the 1400s were the TST were 1600

I tried lowering the levels on the TST to see if the EGTS changed but nothing to drastic

To bad that the JVDs are defunct for the most part (hard to get)

And now I have it stacked with a smarty
Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 AM

So Hohn - you are going to tap your pump?
Jason
Old 08-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Heck yes.

For the longest time, I was afraid to tap the pump wire.

But time has proven to me that tapping the wire has no measureable, consistent effect on VP durability.

I lost a VP at 40K miles with good FP and no wire tap.

Good FP is not a guarantee of VP life.
Not tapping is not a gurantee of VP life.

So what *IS* a guarantee of VP life? As far as I can tell, nothing is. The best you can do is feed the FP with a consistent supply of cool, CLEAN fuel.

After that, I think VP life is up to lunar alignment or Karma or something else.

I'd pray about it, but I'm convinced God cares about my soul not so much about my VP

Watch for major truck changes this fall- perhaps dual spinny things.

jh
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 AM

I must have done some badddd stuff to have my 5th VP on its way south...
Look forward to the changes you make. When do you come back to the 48?
J
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by gies
I must have done some badddd stuff to have my 5th VP on its way south...
Look forward to the changes you make. When do you come back to the 48?
J
Wow, on your 5th Vp44 what kind of supporting mods do you have?

Quick Reply: smarty drag comp stack! holy crap~!!!