Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Download Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
Please send me an email and you can charge my ups account to return the smarty and I will update and return.

I spoke to you yesterday and did the best that I could do.

no problem call me tomorrow and I am sorry that you are having issues that I can not control.

Thank you
Bob,
I did not mean to sound like I was bad mouthing you. My point was that I was already doing the same thing you instructed me to do.

Also, I noticed the ship date for the '06 has been moved back, and I'm sure you all have your hands full working that issue. If that was the reason for lack of response to my inquires, I accept that.

I do not want to send it back and have the update done. I want to know how to do it and not worry about sending it back every time there is a new update. The problem is probably me, but it could be the smarty.

You guys have an outstanding product in the Smarty. The ability to update the programs via the internet was a great idea and a great selling point. The update capability was one of the primairy reasons I purchased the Smarty. I commend you , Marco and the rest of your team for making it available.

I know there has been some changes in the download process, but since I am not the first to have update problems, I am wondering if there may be more changes on the horizon? Maybe more detailed instructions other than just how to download the FTDIXXXX file.

I'll try to get with other Smarty owners this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Chapter President

IT WORKS!

I went into the registry and deleted everything that was associated with the Smarty. Then I went to the hard drive and deleted everything that had to do with the Smarty. Before, I could not remove the FT232 D2XX driver using the "Remove Programs" in Control Panel. After the deletions, I was able to do so.

I download all the files from the Mad site, and unzipped them into a different folder (i had also done this previously). One thing that puzzles me is that when I plugged the Smarty into the PC, it automatically found it and installed it. It did not give me the option to pick the driver.

I'm not sure what fixed it, but it now works. I can only guess that there was a miscommunication somewhere between the Smarty, the software and my PC.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, now how complicated was that. Just goes to show that old people shouldn't play with fancy computer stuff.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the report
Old 10-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by BigBlue
See, now how complicated was that. Just goes to show that old people shouldn't play with fancy computer stuff.
I was building computers before you were out of diapers!
Old 10-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Ya but that was 20 years ago. Your mind ain't gotten any sharper.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Chapter President

Ya but that was 20 years ago. Your mind ain't gotten any sharper.
Hmmmmmm......yo mama said it was only a few years ago.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

Ehh, close enough. At least I'm out of them. From what I'm told your going back into them.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Chapter President

Ehh, close enough. At least I'm out of them. From what I'm told your going back into them.
Now that's funny!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Thanks for posting your fix.
I'm wanting to get a Smarty also, but this thread (and others,) were really worring me.
I'm an old guy also. I used to know a lot about computers, but they have advanced faster than my poor old brain could keep up with ....
Just looking at the reg files scares me
Old 10-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Marks99
Thanks for posting your fix.
I'm wanting to get a Smarty also, but this thread (and others,) were really worring me.
I'm an old guy also. I used to know a lot about computers, but they have advanced faster than my poor old brain could keep up with ....
Just looking at the reg files scares me
Don't be afraid of getting the Smarty, It will put a smile on your face when all of the updates are done.

I don't know what caused my problem, but I'm probably the first to have to go to the registry to get it to work. I done the "fix" on my laptop, but have yet to try the desktop again.

While I'm here, let me add this. I don't know what rev was in the Smarty when I got it, but I do know it didn't have the Smte4, anti theft program, in it. That's way I wanted to update. I had been running on #5 for this tank to see what the mileage would be. #5, for me, seemed to be a pretty good setting....nice acceleration and some smoke. After I downloaded the update, the acceleration is MUCH better and there is less smoke. Evidently it takes everything out and puts all of the latest and greatest back in. If anyone has not done the update, I suggest you do.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:29 PM

Thanks again Crobtex.
Maybe you could answer these questions for me?
I'm looking at the Smarty for it's ecno/no-smoke mode for 90% of my daily driving. Since you can't adjust it 'on-the-fly,' I'm thinking of stacking it with an Edge comp (or something.) Friend of mine has this set-up (down your way in TX,) but I haven't had a chance to try it myself. I think he says he runs the Smarty on 5 (catcher software?) and the Edge on one - says it gives good mpg, but can really put the oil to it when cranking up the Edge.
I have a camper, don't tow, but do off-road, so also looking for low speed, low end, crawling torgue.

Any comments on that set-up?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Marks99
Thanks again Crobtex.
Maybe you could answer these questions for me?
I'm looking at the Smarty for it's ecno/no-smoke mode for 90% of my daily driving. Since you can't adjust it 'on-the-fly,' I'm thinking of stacking it with an Edge comp (or something.) Friend of mine has this set-up (down your way in TX,) but I haven't had a chance to try it myself. I think he says he runs the Smarty on 5 (catcher software?) and the Edge on one - says it gives good mpg, but can really put the oil to it when cranking up the Edge.
I have a camper, don't tow, but do off-road, so also looking for low speed, low end, crawling torgue.

Any comments on that set-up?

Thanks,
Mark
Morning Mark,
I can't comment on the Comp, because I don't have one. I do have an Edge EZ and had it hook up for 460 miles. I ran the Smarty on #4 and #6, and it seemed like the combo helped in the pep department. I then ran another 350 miles or so on #1, fuel saver mode, with no EZ. The truck had sufficient power for highway driving, but I did drop .6 mpg. I don't know for sure, but the drop was probably caused by the fuel being B20 and was probably ULSD. Then, as I posted before, I ran on #5 with no EZ. The truck was pretty peppy and smoked about like the EZ. AFTER I downloaded the updates, I'm still on #5 and the truck has more acceleration and less smoke. I think before the update, the EZ had the better timing program, but now, the improved Smarty program is better.

From what I have read and what some of my friends have, the TST is the best power maker to stack with the Smarty. Also, the Half Power setting is the one to be used for no smoke and emissions inspections. I accidently put mine on Half Power, and it was a dog. That only lasted about 5 miles.

I haven't towed anything or hauled my 8' Lance cabover with the Smarty, but at this point, I think it will be an improvement.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 PM

Thanks once again for the info crobtex.
Think I'll get the Smarty (pull the Bank$ Ottomind off,) then just play with the Smarty to learn what if anything I would stack it with.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 10-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

I suggest stacking the Smarty with a TST. Talk about a tranny trashing combo.

Quick Reply: Smarty Download Problem