Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smarty or comp??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty or comp??

guys i have enough money for the smarty or the comp for the 02 6 speed in my sig....which do yall think is better?? im kind of leaning towards the smarty because ive heard so many good things, however i have never personally messed with one but i have messed around with a comp on a friends truck and really like the on the fly adjustability , so any input is greatly appreciated....thanks alot!

hunter
Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Well, I've had both. I had a Comp, really liked it and sold it to buy a Smarty. Initially I loved the Smarty, it really made the go pedal rock and I liked the idea of being able to download new programs! The problem was the "new programs", they never materialized! I got tired of reading about all the 3rd gen programs and being told "be patient". The other thing I wasn't happy about was the lack of on the fly adjustability. By itself I think it is a pretty good product overall.

So I sold the Smarty and bought a Drag Comp. IMHO, a way better choice! Lots of power and on the fly adjustability.

Stacking the two is an option, but they say the TST and Smarty is the "best" stack. I'm just not into running two boxes on my truck.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The comp is a awesome box & very nice to switch on the fly. I like the Smarty for the low end grunt while towing. If you want to race your truck, get a comp. If you want low end grunt & great driveability, get a XZT+ from Quadzilla. I have tried them all & think the XZT+ has every bit the grunt of Smarty, but a switch on the fly toggle to improve the package. It also has a USB port to update the unit just like Smarty.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 PM

thanks! any more input?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 AM

They aren't even in the same category and shouldn't be compared.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
They aren't even in the same category and shouldn't be compared.
Cranky around the holidays?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 AM

It depends, do you want to tap the pump or not? The Smarty has alot of functions. The comp has alot of power. I would wait on the Quad adrenaline if you want a ton of power with lots of adjustability and options. But if you just want a small upgrade the Smarty or XZT+ are great choices. The Smarty is not "on the fly" adjustable. You have to stop, turn truck off, plug in, take 3 min. to load, and then off again. But most pick a setting and drive it all the time. There are alot of options out there besides comp and smarty. Do some research before you buy.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 AM

i have both. the smarty doesent give much more power but it feels like its giving it twice the power when driving on the street. but it dosent pull any harder up top then just the comp alone. ive seen a guy run faster at the track with a smarty but lose power on a dyno with the smarty. if i were you id look in the classafieds there is a few edge comps and smartys in there now. but another great feature of the smarty is the tire size calibration.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I had an Edge Pulse and now I have a Smarty- with big injectors and the smarty my truck runs as I want it to run, i do not miss the on the fly adjustability.
I like the use as a code reader, and with the new software my truck fuels hard up to 3300 rpm (I backed off since my EGTs were too high for my taste)

I didn't have a comp, but if I felt like going for a box I would prefer having EGT control and the box defueling if I go over a preset EGT for day to day driving.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 AM

i had the smarty on a dyno and it does show a power loss and i also didnt like it i didnt notice a big difference. but i know a few guys that are running them and would probaly get rid of there wife first
Old 11-25-2007, 07:56 AM

I was running both. The Smarty makes the truck a joy to drive lots of low end power. I liked my comp as well on the flt adjustabilty and alot more power. the only reason I took the comp off is to test the Quad Adrenaline. If you want a good box I would wait for the Quad Adrenaline. It all boils down to what you want to do with your truck. If you want all out power go with the comp the Smarty has alot of nice featuresvthat do not revolve around hp/tq. Just my $.02.
Joe
Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM

You could go the route I did and get both! When I drive the truck I run the smarty on 8 and the comp on 5x5, you never know when a pesky duramax will appear and need a spankin. When the wife drives the truck she turns the comp box off. When I first got the comp life was good, power and adjustability on the fly, not bad in the smoke department. Then added the smarty to the scenario and the truck is a totally different animal. Throttle response is amazing, smoke is a little much with both at low boost situations. It is great to be able to check codes and adjust for tire sizes, but you can not adjust tire size when running the stock software. I do this during the winter months when traction is a serious issue. I also messed up and told friends that I got the smarty, seriously a week doesn't go by when one of them doesn't call wanting to borrow the freakin thing. Will tell you that if you want to run either you may look into some trans mods if you run them on higher power levels. We put the smarty on my friends 99 dually on the way back from IRP, after level 9, a couple of boosted launches, and a 70 mile drive home, he found himself with a clutch that was begging for mercy. Don't get to excited about the USB and option to download new softwares as it doesn't happen very often at all. I have updated mine one time to run the beta 150mph software which was recently released on the MADS website. Smarty awoke the truck and throttle response without a doubt but was it worth the 650 that I paid for it? Maybe still not sure. Bonus is that you can find used comps for a decent price. I have a comp box that goes haywire in cold weather, sometimes won't turn off or change levels, shut the truck off and start it again then it will work. Edge customer service not worth a crap in my experience, they got my money so I am out sight, out of mind. Smarty customer service......Marco seems terribly busy with 3rd gen software, not many updates for 2nd gens. Bob is great to deal with, he takes time to answer my questions and those that post on this site. I was hoping that the new quad box and its updates would add to some pressure for some updates in the Smarty world. Pros and cons for both, but run them together and life is good. My truck runs great and gets great mileage with both in my opinion. Sorry for the long post guys.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 PM

thanks for the great info guys!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MSquare
Cranky around the holidays?
No, it's just the truth.... you can't honestly compare a downloader and a standalone box that taps the pump wire. Smarty has it's highs and lows and the Comp has it's highs and lows, it's up to the purchaser to decide where they want to spend their money. But, they should never be compared. In nearly every respect, the wire tap box should 'win' hands down over a downloader.

I run a Smarty and a TST Competition box... there is no comparison to the way each of those makes power on my truck. The truck is an absolute pleasure to drive with just the Smarty(SW#5) and DD3's... quick spoolup, great power, nimble in traffic... flip the switch on the TST and it's a totally different animal... very aggressive fueling map, plant you in the seat acceleration.

We have seen around a 30 hp gain by adding a Smarty to a TST Competition, Mach 6's, SP66, HRVP44... each truck is different. TST Competition is a fuel only box and should really benefit, as shown on the dyno, by adding in some timing.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 PM

thanks for the input! if anyone else wants to chime in feel free.....im leaning towards the smarty now and then something to stack later around christmas probably...i dont tow often and so i think having to stop and download is not a problem until i can afford a stack....

Quick Reply: smarty or comp??