Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Slotted rotors?-Brake pads-Ceramic vs. Carbon vs. semi-met?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slotted rotors?-Brake pads-Ceramic vs. Carbon vs. semi-met?

What experiences, opinions on whether it is worth going to ceramic pads or Carbon pads on my 2000 4x4?

2). Where in Austin can a guy buy them local?

3). Are slotted rotors that much better for this heavy truck?

4). What are decent brands of ceramic pads and slotted rotors and any local shops that carry vs. E-baying?

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:00 PM

I can't tell you where to get the parts you said, but I would caution you about using to hard of lining material for your brakes. You will chew up rotors like they are going out of style. If you want better brakes you could upgrade the rears. If you put the larger wheel cylinders in your brakes will perform way better than stock.
Tom
Old 12-05-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just replaced the pads on my gasser with Ceramics (from NAPA). They replaced a Carbon/Kevlar pad.

Ther Ceramics are les dusty, but inferior, imo, in all the measures of braking performance. The ceramics are only good for low dusting and less squeal.

Carbon/composite would be my choice.

jmo
Old 12-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Hows he gonna use larger wheel cyls with disk brakes?

Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by zukgod1
Hows he gonna use larger wheel cyls with disk brakes?

Dan
I thought the disk didn't start 'till 2001.5?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM

I was under the impression disks started in "00"
I've been wrong before I'll give ya that.

Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM

rear discs start in 2001.5
Old 12-05-2005, 03:42 PM

**** the facts!!!

Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockjeep73
rear discs start in 2001.5
Yup. My buddy has an 01 with drums and I've got an 01.5 with disks. I hate drums.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM

I bought the slotted and cross drilled rotors off ebay, can't remember who from though... anyway they have been just fine for me. I replaced them with the HAWK pads at the same time and I noticed better braking right away. I'm sure it was the pads that made the difference, but I'm not positive. Tom is right, upgrade the rear cylinders it's only 26 bucks. My only complaint is that the hawk pads are really noisy when you are just cruising around town. When you actually use the brakes, like pulling a trailer, they quiet right down. I think I scored the pair of rotors for 170 and the pads were close to 60.

If I'd do it over again I'd just buy the cheapo pads because the softer material will wear out long before it wears the rotor. It's cheaper and easier to replace $30 pads every once in a while instead of spendy rotors. I don't regret the rotor purchase though.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crimedog, how the dust factor with the Hawk Pads, any different?
That is one issue with the real cheapo pads.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Crimedog
I bought the slotted and cross drilled rotors off ebay, can't remember who from though... anyway they have been just fine for me. I replaced them with the HAWK pads at the same time and I noticed better braking right away. I'm sure it was the pads that made the difference, but I'm not positive. Tom is right, upgrade the rear cylinders it's only 26 bucks. My only complaint is that the hawk pads are really noisy when you are just cruising around town. When you actually use the brakes, like pulling a trailer, they quiet right down. I think I scored the pair of rotors for 170 and the pads were close to 60.

If I'd do it over again I'd just buy the cheapo pads because the softer material will wear out long before it wears the rotor. It's cheaper and easier to replace $30 pads every once in a while instead of spendy rotors. I don't regret the rotor purchase though.

I won't put drilled rotors on a truck, the holes will crack when you use the brakes hard and get them hot. The drilled and slotted are for race cars not 3-4 ton trucks. The best is a quality roter and severe duty pads. NAPA is good!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 PM

I would not do drilled at all for the forementioned reason....sloted....eh...i can see it working. BUT the price is bloted for them.......

NAPA Rules! haha..get the Good pads and rotors and i think you cant go wrong....

What are these Wheel Cyl upgrade that is mentioned...this is the first i have heard of this...and would LOVE to do it for $30! Is this something had at NAPA or some web site? Thanks!

Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 09:18 PM

Rotors/ceramic pads...thanks but ned more info!!

Thanks fellas..

My stock rotors are cracked......makes me question slotted/drilled for my 8900lb...baby!

What are the thoughts on pads? Could not find any Ceramics local for Besse, but I have (since i was a kid) heard that premium semi met pads were harder on your rotors than the 20.00 cheap pads.........but I haul a bassboat....20' stock trailer w/roping horse/catttle/hay etc.., 25' flatbed with backhoe/JDtractor etc..,

What is the consensus...?

I can buy Waggoner's and Raysbestos regular rotors local.

Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 PM

Please tell me more of this cylinder upgrade....before my wife spends all my next check!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Slotted rotors?-Brake pads-Ceramic vs. Carbon vs. semi-met?