Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sliding the Fuel Plate Forward on a 94

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sliding the Fuel Plate Forward on a 94

Just purchased a 94 2500 2WD with 102K that's in excellent shape and I couldn't be any happier with the price I got it for. Compared to my modified 93 D250 its a dog, I want to give it a little more of a kick, so it can get out of its own way. I'm wondering if it's safe to slide the Stock Fuel Plate Forward with a Bone Stock 47RH? And if it is safe, how much of a Difference will it make?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:53 AM
JKM

I can't tell you how much difference sliding the stock plate ahead will give you , but if your going to go through that much trouble , why not pull it out and grind it down to a 10 Plate?

You should have at least a pryometer if your going to do modifications , but with the same truck as you ( basically) and just a 10 plate slide ahead a little bit from stock, i could not get my egt's into the unsafe range.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKM
I can't tell you how much difference sliding the stock plate ahead will give you , but if your going to go through that much trouble , why not pull it out and grind it down to a 10 Plate?

You should have at least a pryometer if your going to do modifications , but with the same truck as you ( basically) and just a 10 plate slide ahead a little bit from stock, i could not get my egt's into the unsafe range.
I agree here

u can slide the stock plate forward, But before u do, get some gauges to make sure all is well in the pyro depot... the stock plate is about a 25-30 or so horse gain full forward..

Rick
Old 11-27-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by JKM

That's great! I was thinking about grinding it to #10 plate anyways. As far as the gauges go, I have Isspro Pyro, and a Boost gauge that that aren't hooked up yet, and I'm waiting on the Trans Temp. Thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely don't bother moving the stock plate around......too far forward and you usually end up with too much fuel too late and not enough fuel soon enough to make a big difference in throttle response and bottom end power....not unlike the effect of retarding the timing - not what you want since you will end up with more smoke and egt compared to the gain in usable power. I agree with these guys about grinding the stock plate. Grind it up to a #10 or a #100 if you are feeling frisky. They will both fuel the same down low but the #100 won't limit the top end. After you have it ground, slacken the AFC off (but always leave the AFC housing full forward) and experiment with plate position while being mindful of the pyro which you probably won't have to worry much about on the 160 pump with stock DV's. Once you have the plate where you want it, tension the AFC spring until you have the desired amount of low boost fuelling and smoke control (if any is desired).

After that, you will have to pay attention to your stock TC and lock up as they won't deal well with the level of torque the CTD will make.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:13 PM
JKM

FWIW , on my 160 pump , with just the #10 plate , i could not get EGT's out of control no matter how hard i tried, and boost was within a safe range too , it climbed to about 28 psi.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well my stock tranny was at 120k or so before i ground my plate to a 100..... then it went another 40k beating the crap out of it untill the death shutter came into affect..... along with severe slippage..... if you want a little more pep get a 3KGSK and slide the plate prolly halfway forward...... then back off the AFC spring a bit and it'll be a different truck..... ya'll can read my sig and you'll see my reconendations on a fuel plate......