Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Skyjacker Saftey Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Skyjacker Saftey Issue

Very concerned. I was thinking my ball joints were going out due to the "death wobble"....after checking last night the skyjacker track bar drop bracket has cracked almost in half. Anyone else have this issue, recommend a fix (other than bracket replacement) or other replacement options? Many thanks.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally would be giving SkyJacker a call. how long has it been installed?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM

The lift was installed about a year after new. Regardless, I understand some items on a lift system are "wear" items but a solid steel bracket? SJ wants me to buy another bracket @ $180+shipping and then return the cracked one to them for review/analysis. If "determined" by them the product is faulty then I'm guessing they'll provide a refund. Either way if a steel bracket cracks or brakes under "normal" wear it is a big saftey liability issue it should be more of a recall. After calling around yesterday to try and find a replacement locally, one shop stated they've seen their broken products come thru their shop more and more. The worse side is my truck is down for probably a week until it arrives via UPS and with the holidays who knows when that will be.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 AM

See, I kinda wonder what caused what. Maybe the death wobble cracked the bracket, instead of the cracked bracket causing the wobble
Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 AM

My buddy got add a leafs from skyjacker and one broke in half and half came out.... he has a 1500 and doesn't tow or anything doesn't really even offroad he called skyjacker and they said the same thing send it back a buy a new one... sounds like a bunch of a$$holes behind the counter
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nick02Ram
See, I kinda wonder what caused what. Maybe the death wobble cracked the bracket, instead of the cracked bracket causing the wobble
Drove almost like a cadilac before. I noticed recently the "wobble" and thought ball joints. After checking the bjs and everything else I then noticed the crack.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
FSR

re

A month ago my skyjacker pitman arm broke in half. I called sky jacker and they where jerks about it. They said send it in and they will have it analized. I drive the interstate to take my daughter to day care as I was turning into the parking space could not steer any more, Pitman arm broke in two. I DID NOT PUT A SKY JACKER ONE BACK ON!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM

wont be using them after reading this!! you should forward the comments to skyjacker so they can see what customer service brings them.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 11-25-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: s/l
Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the input...keep it coming if you have both "good/not so good" comments as I'll make sure they're aware of it when I apply for my reimbursement.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM

holy crap that sucks. and to think i was thinkin about using there product to raise my truck.. i dont think so now...
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 100% on your side!!! Chinsey product, but you get what you pay for. I think the more expensive models use thicker steel. The only thing they have going is their price. Since people with big trucks are inherently cheap about buying parts. Mainly because they break from off-roading, or can't afford the lift and truck payment they opt for the cheaper skyjacker kits. This is of course no excuse to make an inferior product. I bought one for my ramcharger and just looking at the thin AWG steel they used, i swallowed the shipping costs and returned it. (after duplicating my own out of .25 and .500 of course) They definitely cheap out on the more popular 1/2 ton products.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FSR
A month ago my skyjacker pitman arm broke in half. I called sky jacker and they where jerks about it. They said send it in and they will have it analized. I drive the interstate to take my daughter to day care as I was turning into the parking space could not steer any more, Pitman arm broke in two. I DID NOT PUT A SKY JACKER ONE BACK ON!
I don't blame you! Luckily the drag/resistance while in motion is MUCH less than trying park in a parking lot(why they invented power steering). I'm glad you went with a better product to replace it. I've noticed that when someone has something to hide, they tend to be mean and short with you. Crappy customer service, is a sign that something is up. I'd say a lawsuit is a good way to settle all your problems, especially when someone is knowingly selling a faulty product. Thats why they made laws against doing so, otherwise it would happen more often.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM

That is pitiful - so much for standing behind their product.

Report them to DOT.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 PM

And here I always thought they made quality products... Guess i'll be looking elsewhere when I decide to jack the truck up after hearing these stories. Our front ends give us enough problems, no need to make it worse
Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM

I did some poking around yesterday afternoon and found anyone can submit "saftey" issuses to NHTSA.dot.gov and will probably file something when it's all said and done. Yes, true it will probaby take an accident or a severe incident to raise concerns at SJ but the claim will at least open an investigation.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker Saftey Issue