Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sitting in the office mulling low power syndrom on a #10 plated 215hp 12v

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:38 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sitting in the office mulling low power syndrom on a #10 plated 215hp 12v

As it says i put the #10 in last night and mid rpms 2000-2500 it pulls ok nothing like my old 12v did though builds 35 psi boost and holds it from 2100 on but there is nothing on the bottom end and the AFC is forward and the star wheel is adjusted really loose (almost all the way) and i get very little lowend smoke no snap to it just a dull haze which isnt right for where its adjusted, going the other way with the star wheel of course leans it out and when i do that it falls on its face. LOL

anyways the boost elbow is on, so the WG is not the issue especially with the bost that i am getting later in the cycle of things.

this sucker should pull and instead it seems like it either is suffering from a plugged fuel filter, i'll start by changing that out or low fuel pressure which will be my next check. im thinking low fuel pressure because of the lack of lowend response and no boost fuel, until the pump really comes on line and starts drawing fuel.

I also realize im going to have to adjust the gov arm too as for some reason my arm hits about 1/2 way into the #10 slope downward as that is though, it shouldnt be an issue, the pig should really be dumping fuel and its not. also checked plate orientation to make sure it wasnt crooked and AFC orientation to gov arm everything seems like it is inline.
Starts like a champ idle is at 875-900rpm doesnot seem to be suffering from air in the lines as 1/2 a crank and shell fire. its not a torn boot as athe boost is read from the intake and is consistant not showing signs of bleed off and all the clamps are tight.

timing is 13.5 right now. 12cm WG housing just got the truck not too long ago so im still picking up on little issues

So my potentials right now are
1. Plugged lift pump screen/filter
2. Plugged fuel filter
3. Dying Lift pump

All on a 98 12 valve 215 application manual tranny

Just scratchin my head thought i might throw this one out there before i get back from work today and get he chance to tear back into it

Let me know what you think
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say adjust your gov. arm first, before you do anything else. Right on the nose of your plate.

Gov. arm postion has a large impact on when and how heavy the fuel comes on in the rpm range.

What is the postion of your plate? Forward-middle-back.
What are your EGTs?

Mine was out of adjustment when i got it. Finally got around to doing it sometime after buying the truck and all i can say is . I couldnt believe the difference.
Seat-o-pants meter was way off the regular scale!!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Have a look at the shutoff solenoid, make sure it is lifting the lever all the way and not binding.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 PM

I was thinking fuel solinoid (I had mine bind up) then I was thinking 45$ for an overflow valve.....maybe its not seating all the way and fp is down.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 AM

I pulled the OF valve last night the spring measured a hair low so i stretched her out a little but the problem still persists. I'll check on the fuel shutoff selenoid. potentially it could be the culprit though recently i was in there working on it and IIRC it was engaging all the way but i might be mistaken. that would definately explain some of the low rpm/ boost fuel. I'll get ahold of Marty and order a OFV soon.

BTW had the AFC backed off so far that the spring could slid around freely and still no smoke. couldnt tackle it last night, burried the truck just below the house hauling yard waste out made 4 trips in and out no issues 4th trip water table rose turned the whole area into a Giant bog truck sank while i was loading it had to dig it out and winch it out, took 4 hours ugg
Old 04-01-2005, 09:47 AM

New OFV valve in. Shut off selenoid is working properly fully engaged and wiggles just fine. Still the same symptoms. no one in town had fuel filters yesterday, i'll swap filters on saturday or sunday and get back to you. any other suggestions
Old 04-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Plugged up cat?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:59 AM

thats kinda what it feels like but she's a straight 4" I hate having not owned this thing since day 1 you have to play catch up before you can play. i'll stick a fuel pressure gauge on it and empty the lift pump strainer/ filter next.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Are you adjusting the governor arm while holding up on the fuel solenoid shut off? If not the adjustment will be off. You alson mentioned that your timing was at 13.5 Has this been checked and if so bump up the timing to 16 and see it wake up. Just some thoughts.

Paul
Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 AM

Adjust the governor lever. I think that is your problem. GOT SMOKE? on this site just had the same problem with his 97 5spd. He adjusted the Gov lever, and got it fixed. Also; when i installed my GSK i lost all kinds of power. Adjusted the gov lever, and got it all back. It can make a HUGE difference if its out of adjustment. The Gov lever arm adjustment is where y moneys at.

Eric
Old 04-04-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Adjust the governor lever. I think that is your problem. GOT SMOKE? on this site just had the same problem with his 97 5spd. He adjusted the Gov lever, and got it fixed. Also; when i installed my GSK i lost all kinds of power. Adjusted the gov lever, and got it all back. It can make a HUGE difference if its out of adjustment. The Gov lever arm adjustment is where y moneys at.

Eric
Eric's right about my situation. Could not understand why the truck ran like a dog. After having a previous 97 with a #10 plate and PDR 370's I knew what 400RWHP should feel like.....I wasn't getting it with the new truck. It had the OEM plate full forward and PDR 370's.....dynoed it at our KYDTR event last year and was very sick and when it only dynoed 263HP 636TQ with the above mentioned setup.

I threw in a new custom plate from JR Adkins and it still had the same problems hauling a 25FT trailer and with a 4x4 CC SB CTD it could never break 1200* but when I installed the plate I noticed that the Gov. arm would not allow me to slide the plate very far past center before going under the plate instead of hitting.

After readjusting the Gov. arm via PiersDiesel.com it was a TOTALLY DIFFERENT TRUCK! Now I have more ADP goodies.......can't wait to dyno @ TS Performance on May 6th!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 AM

ddestruel

...Just bring it on down and drop it off...I would hate for you to have to work so hard to make it run.. I will take it off your hands...

Rick
Old 04-04-2005, 09:18 AM

I think my truck may be doing the same thing. The power seems the same as stock in first and second gear, but really comes on strong in 3rd,4th, 5th.

I think I need to adjust my governor arm.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by rharveysr
ddestruel

...Just bring it on down and drop it off...I would hate for you to have to work so hard to make it run.. I will take it off your hands...

Rick
Im tellin ya rick, dont tempt me

Gov arm is looking like the next avenue, i'll wrestle with that after the KDP. which is this next week. Gotta send it over to a friend who is a cummins tech do it, i seem to have problems pulling cams and this one the seal behind the timing cover has worked its way out so i know the tab is wigglin. Over my head on in truck mechanical ability

he'll set my timing up to 16 after the timing cover. Yes i did check the timing just to see where things were at. fuel pressure is fine too. Im guessing after everything else and like everyone else is saying that the gov arm is hiting midplate in the low spot of the curve and then going up the curve and defuelling. maybe i could just slide the plate forward until the arm hits in the right spot its only a clutch

Thanks for the tips and ideas
Old 04-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The governor arm adjustment is extremely important. The only trucks I've encountered with melted down pistons all have had three things in common - the plate slid full forward, no gauges and the governor arm going under the plate.

Quick Reply: Sitting in the office mulling low power syndrom on a #10 plated 215hp 12v