Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Single or Triple Disc Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely the best thing to do is research.

Call each manufacturer individually.

Tell them what you have, and what you plan on doing with it.
Spare nothing, how much HP and Torque you have, how much more you plan on shooting for, daily driver, daily tower, weekend tower, how much you tow and how much you plan to tow in the future, offroad daily, weekly, weekend warrior, dyno every weekend or once a year, everything.

Each one will tell you what they think you should do and how much it will cost you to do it.

Then make your decision based on the input of each manufacturer you speak with.

phox
Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by justinp20012500
You are correct in one sense. Yes a single will survive, but if you are running 600HP and a big single the turbo lag would be so bad it would be hard to drive the truck on the street.

It really becomes a driveablity issue.

Running a single with a very low stall also makes it very hard to get a load moving.

The number of lockup discs in the TC has nothing to do with how it drives.. Were you possibly confusing single disc TC with single turbo?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 PM

im going to go ahead and throw in my two cents on this........whatever you decide to do,,do it with one manufacturer,do not use this guys con.,with this guys tranny,and so on.you can end up with 2 or 3 good warranties,and really end up with none.you do not want to get in the middle of abunch of finger pointing,while you have to foot the bill,,trust me,,,its no fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bama
Old 03-21-2005, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Eskimo
The number of lockup discs in the TC has nothing to do with how it drives.. Were you possibly confusing single disc TC with single turbo?
The number of lock up clutch disks does not determine how it drives. What I meant by the post was the drivability issues between the different types of TC's.

A "single disk" TC HAS to have a low stall stator in order to survive a high amount of HP. The lower stall helps bring the fluid coupling and lock up rpm's closer together to help eleviate lock up clutch burning.

The most popular single disk out there actually has another portion of friction material bonded to a machined portion of the piston. (Does that still make it a single )

If you are a "high" HP diesel and running a single trubo you are going to have a certain amount of turbo lag. The lower the stall TC the more turbo lag you will encounter.

The extra RPM's you get from a little higher stall TC (but still a lot lower then factory) will help the turbo "lite"

I have helped develope a multi disk torque converter and have extensive knowlegde as to the in workings of the 47RE/RH.

Do you understand now? I hope this helps. I edited the last post to make it less confusing.

Justin
Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 PM

What did the Gorend Bros Converter and Value body cost?. I have 54K on my tranny and it is in good shape. Only because of my bombing am I considering to upgrade it. Do I need to rebuild the rest?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Kevins
What did the Gorend Bros Converter and Value body cost?. I have 54K on my tranny and it is in good shape. Only because of my bombing am I considering to upgrade it. Do I need to rebuild the rest?
Call Dave and ask him....(563) 778-2719. Dave will shoot dead straight with you. He won't sell you anything you don't think you need.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

When I installed the triplelok, though the stall was lower than stock, is was still not in that sweet rpm stall, especially after turning up the power. For daily driving, the stall is fine and drives real nice. When romping around on the street, I find myself locking up and eliminating the fluid coupling all together. I don't want to start a well worn debate about lock to lock shifting, but I do it, and my trans mfgr sais it's okay. There is always a tradeoff.....clutches blah blah blah. I had my trans apart last week and none of the clutches show any signs of fatigue from lock shifting. I had the trans apart for a broken shaft.....my fault.....but fixing it nonetheless, as well as putting a 6 pin OD planetary in. I will be upgrading to billet stuff as soon as I can afford it, and as soon as someone offers a quality billet output for an RH, that I can get my hands on before they are gone. Until then, I will replace stockers. These trans are no big deal to work in, you just have to get over the "magic" factor and pay attention to details.

Anyway, got off subject....my opinion is that I like the triplelok for it's softfoot driving attitude. When reaching into the coal bucket, I lock her up and shift through for awesome power transfer. It's a good street TC. For all out racing, the stall will be high for a power truck, and if you're afraid to lock it up, choose a different TC if you want a lower stall. The second thing is customer support. I have had many conversations with Clint as well as Joel, and both have displayed the utmost attention to my needs. I will continue to buy from ATS, as an honest conversation is worth as much as the goods that are sold.

Each mfgr has their own reasons for building parts the way they do. None of them make a bad product and all of them make quality. It boils down to driving style, power levels and needs for a particular application. No one combination is going to be right for every person. Do the homework, be honest with them about your driving intentions, and choose based on what you expect their parts to do for you. To my knowledge ALL the big hitters stand behind their products well, if they didn't, this industry would run them out of business.

my .02
Old 03-27-2005, 07:15 PM

Interesting thread. So does a triple disc converter not have to have as much line pressure as a single disc to hold as good?

Eric
Old 03-27-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Interesting thread. So does a triple disc converter not have to have as much line pressure as a single disc to hold as good?

Eric
Eric
The answer to that is no they don't need as much pressure on the piston to hold. If you have the same amount of surface area on each clutch and you apply the same pressure to the piston it is simple multiplication. You take the holding power for a single disc and then multiply by the total number of discs. A triple disc would than have three times the holding power of a single disc mathematically speaking.
Eric What I am talking about now is not in response to your post it is in reference to some comments mentioned above. There is one company that says the triple disc won't work because he has tried it and could not make it work. There are at least three good manufactures out there proving the triple disc works every day. If you are in the market for a torque converter talk to them all and choose the one you want. But don't buy the junk about billet covers breaking flex plates or damaging engine bearings. The extra weight of the billet cover will not effect the flex plate, the increase in weight is not supported by the flex portion of the flex plate. The torque converter is supported by the crankshaft bearings and an internal bearing inside the torque converter not the flex portion of the flex plate. The weight of a good billet triple lock TC is directly comparable to that of a good flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. So if the billet covers will damage the bearings of the engine then the standard tranny guys are in for some real bad news.

Edward
Old 03-27-2005, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info edward. So basically, a single disk needs 3 times the pressure of a triple disc to hold the same; right? I am hopefully getting a Dayco(sp?) torque converter from a boy i know. He sells them, and has been running it in his truck, and is going to trade it in for a new one, and give me a smokin deal on it. Its a triple disk, and has the billet cover. He has had great luck out of it, and has more power than i will probably ever have. I also know another guy that has a single disk non billet covered dayco that is running an EZ, and like 80hp injectors on his 01 24 valve, and he hauls stuff too, and loves his too with no problems. Its not a big name brand converter, but they have held up well for both of them, and i cant wait to get that stock converter out of there. I can tell by riding with the guy with the 24v that its much better than stock. Very little rpm drop when it his lockup while accelerating where mine drops like 500 or more rpm's. Also doesent shudder any. I cant wait A triple disc sounds liek it will be best for me then. The transgo upped my pressures and helped the stock TC hold a lot, so hopefully i can leave my line pressure where it is, and not have to worry about this one slipping any even while hauling loads of hay and tractos, in the summer. Thanks for the help. I have talked to Dave goerend just by E-Mail, and got some prices, and i personally believe that next time i build an automatic it will be with his stuff. I have heard awesome stuff about him, and he even offered to walk me through adjusting the cable that controls line pressure by how much throttle you give it one saturday. I checked it, and it didnt need adjusting but he seems like an awesome person to deal with. I E-Mailed one of the other big tranny manufacturers, and while i know they're busy; they still havent answered my email.

Eric
Old 03-28-2005, 07:24 AM

Cumminsdriver365
E-mail is probably not the best way to get them. Do yourself a favor and pickup the phone. You may have to leave a message but most will call you back. Trust me on this, you really want to reasearch this before you make a mistake. The difference between my TC and the stock TC is like the difference between Selma Heyak and Roseanne Barr. You don't want to end up with a fluffed up version of Roseanne Barr do ya.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:36 AM

Yeah, when i plan on buying i will call Dave up, but i have just been emailing him to just get prices and stuff so far. I like the explanation Ill be gone till Thrusday but will be interested to see where this thread is when i get back

Eric
Old 03-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Cowhand
Dave talked me out of billet shafts because billet input and output shafts increase the chance of intermediate shaft breakage. His comment to me was that billet input and intermediate shafts were the best way to go, a broken output shaft could conceivably be changed on the side of the road by swapping overdrive units. Shouldn't need to drop the whole trans.
That's what Dave told me also. I went with the triple disc T/C because of the low speed towing that I do. Most of it is under 30mph.
loads weighing around 6-15k. Been very happy wth it.

Didn't go with any billet, either.