Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Single disk vs. Multiple disks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single disk vs. Multiple disks

Let's start by taking a deep breath and saying I WILL REMAIN CALM <br>SD or MD from here on out. A brief history before beginning my post. I had an automatic that I was inquiring about upgrading (had meaning I traded it in for a 6 speed HO). I spent numerous hours gathering information on which tranny I wanted in my truck. I have worked in maintenance for over 13 years, I completed a 4 year apprenticeship that included all phases of maintenance. I have a degree in electronics and have all the criteria for a mechanical degree(thats another story). I work on Large CNC equipment and do the electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical work. What ever it takes to fix the machine. I have had all the physics classes but that was over 15 years ago and it would take some refreshing to do all the calculations needed to sort all of this out. On top of that I know from experiance things don't always work out the way they show up on paper. With all that said let me get to my point.<br>After reading post last night for hours it finally came to me why all the HEAT over this subject. MONEY!!!! Give me a chance to explain. All parties involved have invested a lot of time and money in their product. They feel strongly that they have the superior design. Everyone who has purchased either product feel they have made the best choice and have spent significant amounts to have it installed in their trucks. Basically it will come down to this, Someone is wrong and time will tell. In the end the superior product will prevail and we will all be better because of it. Progress comes with pain. What we need to do here is keep the emotion out and post the facts to help people trying to make this decision. <br>What I would like to do is everyone with an upgraded tranny post: SD or MD, number of miles on upgrade (not the truck just the truck since the upgrade), Hp and torque levels if known, What you do with the truck, any problems you have encountered as a result of the upgrade (from a bolt left loose to a failure itself), and what actions were taken to correct the problem and lastly how pleased you are now in the end. <br><br>This should help everyone trying to solve this dilemma. Thanks and lets not turn this into a Jerry Springer type post. Jack at the first sign of flaming please lock or delete this post.<br>Thanks<br>Rog
Old 11-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Single disk vs. Multiple disks

I have to agree with you on the fact that the place this really get's debated is on the STREET.<br> Childish behavior and chest thumping over who has the best of anything completely misses the whole point of DTR. We are all here to learn and share knowledge! not shove each other around for bragging rights.<br> From what I have read all these Great manufacturers have wonderful products and I for one would be glad to have any of them in my truck!. These guys have been proving themselves and their products on the road and racetracks everywhere for years now. They do not need help from any of us defending their hard earned respect!.<br> Stick to the facts, forget the politics of it all and enjoy the learning process!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:29 AM

Rocknram<br>You have a great point. I would like to put my .02 in here and say it is about ideas not personalities. There is always more than one way to do it. Look at V8 engines for example Dodge, GM and Ford all have V8’s and none of them are the same. In the end both torque converter designs may prove to be reliable working examples. If that is not the case and one design fails then the other will be the undisputed top dog in the industry and we all will go running to that business to get one of the good one’s. That will happen without any one trashing the other product or picking it to death. All of us can recognize quality with out the help of trash talk. We all bought Dodges didn’t we? Thank God for Dodge some people deserve the best, oops I just started another war sorry. <br>
Old 11-20-2002, 05:20 PM

I guess I glazed over the childish post and missed them. 50,000 on a Goerand triple disk. However, Dave recommended replacing the valve body before increasing the horse power. Which means increasing the line pressure. No troubles and it shifts like a dream.