Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Single disk vs multi disk torque converters

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
The reason the triples are better for most people, is that a triple will hold more power with less line pressure...DTT's use lot's of line pressure, and a tight single disk converter.

Personally, I love my single, and the higher pressure of the DTT. I know my clutch packs are going to hold, along with my converter. My tranny will spike to 215psi line pressure, and hold 205psi in OD lockup.

Is it better than every other tranny out there...no. Is it better in my mind, yes! But that only matters to me!

Just do lots of research, and deal with someone you feel comfortable with!
Chris
That's a good explanation and basically what my buddy Mike D was just telling me yesterday, only I just remembered bits and pieces. I guess I'm a slow learner. But that sounds right especially since it jives with what I just had heard.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM

I've hear theories about both..with the triple you obviously have more clutch surface area and theorretically more holding power not to mention the wow conversation factor..the con of it though as i understand it is that at rest when the TC is not locked up the clutches are sliding on each other creating heat and shavings which ultimately get into your lines and possibly equal failure...although I havent heard of anyone getting a failure because of this this was the proposed model by DTT..In their eyes you only need on disk and they focus on plugging up all leaks inside the tranny and then tune the valve body to produce lots of line pressure to keep you locked...irony is that since then they have adopted the triple disk to be competitive with everyone else selling them....heck I want the ATS 5 disk!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mr T
irony is that since then they have adopted the triple disk to be competitive with everyone else selling them....heck I want the ATS 5 disk!!!
They adopted the triple mostly for the towing crowd...to my knowledge, they don't market them very heavily to the high hp/racing crowd since they are very heavy and will add time to your ET!

Besides...if your competitor was offering something that worked, and even though you don't entirely agree with them, would you simply lose sales because you don't have that option available? Seems like smart business sense to me...give the customer what he wants, while still trying to advise on the ebst product for their needs!

Chris
Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM

I have had them both. I personally like the triple disc better just because they have more clutch material. And i also saw no loss at all in my drag strip times going from the single to the triple. it is all personal preference, but I feel like the triple is a little overkill, and that is what I like

Eric
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Ramdriver15
I Vote Goerend, I Am Still Yelling At My Dad/ Myself For Not Going With Him, I Spent Equal With A Local Shop And I Hate My Transmission, Go Goerend!!!

What he said... I should have gone goerend...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 AM

Call them all.

I have sold parts from (in no particular order) ATS, DTT, Goerend, Dunrite, and Suncoast, as well as TCS and Art Carr. They are all good companies or you would not have heard of them. Dave at Goerend is top notch, as are all the others. I don't know how Dave can do what he does tranny wise and still answer the phone all the time, he has my personal vote for service. ATS replaced a tranny for one of my friends that had two years and lots of abuse on it without question. DTT did my first tranny, I sold it to a guy that could break a bowling ball with a rubber mallet and it is still together. Dunrite has warrantied some stuff that was questionable without a a problem, and Suncoast parts have been used in every Duramax that I have built with no problems and nothing but perfect service. It is amazing to me that we have such a wide range of choices in such a small market. Call them all, if they don't answer the phone that means they are busy and that is good. Leave a message or call back. They are all head and shoulders above anything you have local, but don't be afraid of a local as long as they follow directions. I prefer to buy from a pro myself, but we are in a small market and I cannot afford errors.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
KVD

Who is TCS and Art Carr???
Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM
DTR question asker

Yet another vote for Goerend single disk. With the valve body its a really nice little setup that is a HUGE improvement over the stock tranny. Driving the 2500 last night just for the heck if it I was getting into the throttle a little bit and watching the tach/speedo and man does that tach jump around a lot more with the stock stuff, in my 3500 it just pulls and pulls.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Referring to the title of this thread, I hope you don't think you can drop a converter in there and call it good. The transmission works as a unit and all of the components must be matched to work properly together, and then you have to get the line pressure right. When you buy a complete tranny from the well known names you get the result of years of development and testing, and each one is dyno tested. Do a search and you will find many, many threads where someone has had their tranny out several times after changing bits and pieces, sometimes they never get it to shift properly. Anyway, I like my ATS triple for towing, it is a huge upgrade from stock and has given no trouble for 60K miles.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 PM

While I hear it all the time how a valve body, and TC are only a band aid, mine has been great, and I give it more heck than a lot of guys. I do plan on going fully built when it dies, but it has been this way for a while now, and it has taken a lot of abuse without a whimper other than the input letting go

Eric
Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by KVD
not really sure who tcs is, but i do know art carr. they have been around for quite some time now, mostly building converters, parts, and transmissions for the drag car crowd. they custom build my torque converters i use in my rock buggy. very high quality, although they are rather new to the diesel market. i havnt really had time to check out what they got for diesels and compare, but i assure you, they are up there with the other major companies. maybe someone else will chime in with some technical info and/or experience with art carr. i know id be interested in hearing it.

jeremy
Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by KVD

TCS, I know make torque converters, not sure what else. As I understand it, they used to make DTT's torque converters but not anymore. They have excellent quality torque converters.....obviously if DTT was using them.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by westexhunt
I have sold parts from (in no particular order) ATS, DTT, Goerend, Dunrite, and Suncoast, as well as TCS and Art Carr. They are all good companies or you would not have heard of them...... They are all head and shoulders above anything you have local, I prefer to buy from a pro myself.
Very well said!!

RJ
Old 07-19-2007, 04:40 PM

With say 100 psi the stock torque convertor clutch is the strongest in the tranny! So if the tc is slipping what about the other clutch packs and bands??
Wouldn't it make sense to make sure 1-4 gears and the tc are up to whatever hp you are sending thru? Do a little research and it is easy to see which way to go! Why listen to web tranny experts?!?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Apparently the TC clutch isnt the strongest in the tranny stock, because my clutches still hold great, but my stock TC was slipping over 100hp ago.

Eric

Quick Reply: Single disk vs multi disk torque converters